Quaker State Full Synthetic Oil

That's about the time they vanished. Simultaneously, cases shrank from 24 quarts to a wimpy 12.
Market research in the early '80s showed women buying motor oil in larger numbers than ever, yet very few were receptive to schlepping a six gallon, fifty pound case into a shopping cart.

Actually, they were cardboard with steel caps in the 80's.
That's true. In the 70s, too. I'm not sure when that type replaced all-metal cans in 1-quart size. The cardboard tended to leak if crumpled by a fall on a hard surface. 10-quart all-metal oil cans survived at least into the early 70s.

Never could keep track of an oil spout, I used to always punch it with either a can opener, or flat head screwdriver!!!!! LOL didn't they have some issues as well in the 90s or early 2000s? How about Castrol anybody ever remember hearing anything about Castrol the time I heard about excessive blow, and oil in the air cleaner, in multiple vehicles, was the first time I've ever heard anyting..
I remember Castrol kept selling product that consistently failed low temperature pour points required by the 5W-30 grade claimed on the label. It was hard to make mineral based SG rated 5W-30 with the ingredients available thirty years ago.

Always on a nail next to his Case of Mobil.
What’s funny is that the Mobil Jet II we pour into the airplanes at work still come in that same can (albeit with a slightly different design).
5B55EA33-5B7A-41D5-8013-BD80B845F14D.jpeg

I've "heard" Quaker State and Pennzoil, causes sludge buildup, Castrol causes build up in the air intake, excess blow by.. the latter I have never heard before. Until recently, the prior I know is a thing, several years back..
The few times / vehicles I have tried Pennzoil with years ago would always lose oil between scheduled oil changes. That alone made me stop trying Pennzoil.

Ive used it for years in Toyota....HM for Corolla and full syn in my Jeep GC and HM blend in Toyota ....I see no reason to pay more....
I change them both twice a year.....April and Oct 5w20 HM for Toyota and 5w 20 syn for Jeep.

The former QSUD has a nice shot of molly with a low amount of VI improvers thus was a decent , low cost choice choice for DI engines . I assume the new QS synthetic oil is a similar formulation to QSUD , so still a good low cost full synthetic D1 / Gen 2 rated oil . Long term usage of QS synthetic oil may show some varnish build up (as compared to M1 or Pennzoil Platinum).

Or early May . Depends on miles on the oil .
I always change it no matter what the mileage is....well most of the time......most of my driving is 7-8k a year in the Jeep.....10k in Toyota and 3-4k in Mustang ...The Mustang Is changed once year now ......just dont drive it much unless its Mustang club functions......

Back