quaker state defy vs valvoline

hey guys I have a 2001 silverado with the 5.3 in it with 220,000 miles and im due for an oil change. anyways that being said I can get valvoline max life (used since day 1) for $18 for a 5 quart jug. I can get QS defy for $15 its on sale.

my uncle randy loved QS because their old HM oil had slick 50 added in.

I am just wondering how QS does now compared to valvoline?

If you do 6-7k miles OCI(Oil Change Interval) then $3 extra for Valvoline Maxlife represents 1 penny extra for every 20 miles of driving. The difference is so little and you have good result with Maxlife, I say stay with it.

I gotta tell'ya guys: I can't stand that Quaker State Defy bottle. I suppose I could get used to it if the oil did something miraculous, but dang that's an ugly bottle. A brick red bottle with a green cap......nauseating.

Defy is not resource conserving, nor is it Dexos 1 approved. Maxlife is both resource conserving and Dexos 1 approved.
Defy uses modern, high phosphorus retention ZDDP, but at SL levels. A SOPUS rep did email me that Defy is largely formulated to the same standards as an SN oil, just with higher ZDDP and a HTHS over 3.2.
Maxlife must also have a HTHS of at least 3.2 to meet Dexos 1 standards.
I like Defy, and will be using it in my 2003 Trailblazer next oil change.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I gotta tell'ya guys: I can't stand that Quaker State Defy bottle. I suppose I could get used to it if the oil did something miraculous, but dang that's an ugly bottle. A brick red bottle with a green cap......nauseating.

I couldnt agree more.

Ive got two cars at home with defy in them currently and Im liking it for the money. Id take defy over maxlife anyday.

Quote:
Maxlife must also have a HTHS of at least 3.2 to meet Dexos 1 standards

Not so sure HTHS of 3.2 for 5w30 . How did you confirm this ?

Coupons.com has Valvoline coupons right now - $5 off a jug of MaxLife and $12 off two jugs of Valvoline Synpower - both good at the register of your local Walmart. You can print each coupon twice. Each coupon expires April 7th.

Gotta watch Walmart. Went in yesterday after printing out the coupon off Walmart's web site, and picked up a jug of MaxLife and Wally World here told me that downloaded coupons are not scanning properly and they would not give me the 5 bucks off. Told them the coupon was off their web site and then they told me people are bringing in copies of coupons and if the coupon does not scan properly they won't honor them. Maybe this is their way of cutting back on dealing with printed coupons.

I have used both(QSD & VML) in my '80 Firebird FORMULA V8 and I do like'em both though, I'd give the edge(no pun) to DEFY for it's smoother/quieter operation.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have used both(QSD & VML) in my '80 Firebird FORMULA V8 and I do like'em both though, I'd give the edge(no pun) to DEFY for it's smoother/quieter operation.

I agree with you and have been impressed with it in my sons 2003 Monte Carlo SS(3800 V6). It does seem to be smoother and quieter then the Mobil 1 EP. It also seems to stand up better with only about a 1/2 quart of use over 6K miles. EP was over 1 quart every 5K...

Originally Posted By: Bud
Gotta watch Walmart. Went in yesterday after printing out the coupon off Walmart's web site, and picked up a jug of MaxLife and Wally World here told me that downloaded coupons are not scanning properly and they would not give me the 5 bucks off. Told them the coupon was off their web site and then they told me people are bringing in copies of coupons and if the coupon does not scan properly they won't honor them. Maybe this is their way of cutting back on dealing with printed coupons.

Each coupon has it's own unique code. Once that code is used and in the system, it can not be re-used. So copied coupons don't work. Just print them on another computer. Each computer is allowed 2 coupons AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: BlueBird
Quote:
Maxlife must also have a HTHS of at least 3.2 to meet Dexos 1 standards

Not so sure HTHS of 3.2 for 5w30 . How did you confirm this ?

I don't think that is correct either. Pennzoil Dexos blend 5w30 has a HTHS of 3.0 IIRC.

Originally Posted By: salv
Maxlife must also have a HTHS of at least 3.2 to meet Dexos 1 standards.

No. There are plenty of dexos1 approved 5w-30 oils with an HTHS of lower than 3.2. Here is a very big name one, officially licensed, with an HTHS of 3.1. I bet there are more dexos1 oils with HTHS of 3.1 and lower than there are with 3.2 and higher.

Are you looking to start World War III?
wink.gif

Back