QS Synthetic staying very clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running Quaker State synthetic in my Troy-Bilt since the second oil change. (not the best mower...maybe the best MTD but it's okay. It was a housewarming gift from my dad about 6 years ago. He doesn't care who makes the deck as long as it has a Briggs and Stratton)

I changed it last year. It runs about one hour a week from March to November.
HPIM1135.jpg

Yes, it's full...it's just hard to see because it's so clear.

It is still really really clean. From the beginning of last summer.

Should I go ahead and change it or pop a Xanax and quit having anxiety about a decent syn's ability to stay in grade on a Briggs and Stratton?

definetly let is ride until your mowing season is over. Then change out the air filter, change the oil, sharpen the blade, put some mmo or stabil in the gas and sleep easy.

I had bad luck with synthetics in my Briggs motor (7hp) Craftman mower. It would smoke a little bit everytime I started it. I switched back to Dino Straight 30w and smoke is gone. I change the oil every season using Castrol HD 30 or Supertech HD 30 oil. Mower is 7 yrs oid and starts on the first pull every time.

I used Amsoil, RP, M1, you name it I tried it,(left over oil from my car, usually 10/30) but I think the Multi Weight oils just arent meant for a lawn mower?

In your case seems to be working fine, so if it aint broke don't fix it. Go Drink a beer and enjoy the game and let the oil ride.......

Jeff

Last edited:
I had bad luck with synthetic in a briggs also. Had some left over mobile 1 so put it in the mower. It lasted one summer. Lost power all summer until it was so low on compression i could no longer get it started. Smoked every time I started it with Mobil 1. Mower was 5 years old and never had a problem previously.

Last edited:
i love syn!!! but small engines isnt its place! put the syn in the vehicle and straight 30/ HDEO in the mower

Last year I used QSUD in my briggs, it wasn't black, but it was dark amber by the end of the season. This year I just went with Havoline DS 10W-30.

I have noticed that with OPE with no oil filter, the oil tends to look cleaner as the heavier particles sink/settle over time. The dipstick shows the top layers of the oil.

Does it look that clean when hot?

That was hot. After I mowed before I put it up.

My side discharge 3.5 Briggs will darken up the oil in a few uses. I think I'm going to just put the QS syn from the Troy-Bilt in the '96 Murray and see what happens

And I do wax it once a year before storing it.
blush.gif
I've got a bad problem with over maintaining
lol.gif

Overhead Valve engines seem to run cleaner than the older sidevalve ones.
Only have one full year on my new Lawboy (Honda engine)so I'm not
going to offer it as proof of anything.

Hot oil won't leave much of a film on the dipstick. Take a look at it when it's cold. Not saying it's going to be dark but you should at least be able to see the original colour of the oil.

The colour of the oil probably has nothing to do with the type or brand. Other than initial engine residue accumulated in the oil on an new engine, most oil discolouration comes from the combustion process. Being that the newer engines run particularly lean, there won't be too much soot/carbon left in the cylinder to be washed into the oil.

I have a Kubota powered diesel generator and run Rotella T 15W40 in it. The oil will be black in a matter of a few hours of running. Strange thing is that other than initial cold start up, the exhaust doesn't show excess carbon/soot being discharged from the combustion process.

Changed the Troy-Bilt to Green Earth Technologies Synthetic bio SAE30. (had to buy the 48 oz bottle. The B&S takes 20oz and the smaller size is 18 oz so I got two changes whether I end up liking the GET Bio Syn or not. I may use the balance of it in my Honda clone)

Put the QS syn 10W30 in the 16 year old Murray.

If I blow up the Troy-Bilt on the cow or rapeseed or whatever based bio oil, I have an excuse to buy a better mower. Not expecting that to happen though.

It may be the Quaker State itself. The QSUD that the dealer filled my Camry with during the previous free oil change is downright CLEAR in color. It's almost like water. I like oil that clean-looking because I like to watch it change over time. So far, in the car, it's not changing very much. Maybe I'll try it in the OPE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back