Q about water in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it says, I have a quessie about water in oil in a dirtbike.

I took my TTR250 across a really really deep river a while ago. I pushed it with the engine off and it was practically submerged. Long story, but it was a fast flowing river and we needed to get across.

On the other side I drained the carb and pulled the spark plug. The engine was full of water so I pumped it out, put plug back in and fired her up. I reved it a bit until water stopped coming out of the exhaust. After that i shut it off and looked at the oil sight glass. Yup, the oil was cream colour (so was everyone elses!). So I drained the oil and waited for a 4wd to come back with fresh oil. After the weekend I drained the oil and put fresh oil in again and a new filter. Then again. Now I’ve put fresh oil in it again and after 4 oil changes the oil in the sight glass is still a little cloudy.

So what’s going on? Is the oil in there now alright to ride on as I’m going out next weekend.

Not all the oil come out when you drain it, there is some in all kinds of place like the clutch basket and small crevices in the engine.
You need to drain the oil a few times with the cheapest possible oil you can find. just start it, run it a few min and drain it. Do this until its clear then put in the normal service oil.

You MAY loose the clutch friction discs soon, some clutch plates are bonded with a glue that is water soluble like most automatic transmissions.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Not all the oil come out when you drain it, there is some in all kinds of place like the clutch basket and small crevices in the engine.
You need to drain the oil a few times with the cheapest possible oil you can find. just start it, run it a few min and drain it. Do this until its clear then put in the normal service oil.

You MAY loose the clutch friction discs soon, some clutch plates are bonded with a glue that is water soluble like most automatic transmissions.

Try a few ounces of seafoam before and after the quick drain, it will help remove moisture from the crankcase. 1.5 Oz for each quart of oil.
Remove the oil cap for a few minutes after warmed up, that will allow any water vapor to escape an not condensate on the top of the motor. Try that when you change your oil and everytime you park it after riding.

Last edited:
Yeah ok. I didn't think about opening the oil cap after it's been running. I'll give that a shot. As for getting the old oil out, I've gotten a fair bit out each time I do a change by leaning the bike over so the oil drains out of the tranny and clutch.

Yeah, bike was practically floating down the river. It took 4 of us to move one bike across. The current was so strong it kicked up the wheels and lifted them.

Thanks for the clutch headsup.

(and mods, feel free to chuck this thread into the appropriate section)
I'll ride it this weekend then change it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back