Q 50 maintenance questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
good morning!

OK, i have a 2017 Infiniti Q 50. direct inject, twin turbo. i have about 18,000 miles
i have done the proper Mobil one synthetic changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, although the manual says 10,000. i cannot live with that. i rotate the tires.

My manual says to change the cabin air filter at 15,000 (now) and the brake fluid at 20,000. The engine air filter at 30,000

dumb questions.

1. should i change the brake fluid at 20,000 miles? that will be soon
2. should i WAIT till 30,000 to change engine air filter?
3. i will do cabin air filter, that should be easy.

4. what else should i do? i want this car to really last, i just retired.

thanks!
bob

Does it have a dip stick that you can use to check the transmission ?

Does it have hydraulic or electric power steering ?

Check the coolant .

Look at the filters & see if they look dirty / in need of replacement .

For better or worse , I bought a $ 1 turkey baster at Walmart and sucked out all the break fluid and re-filled it with new / fresh . If it is really dirty , do it at every oil change until it looks clean . Same for PS fluid .

Best of luck to you , :)

20k miles for brake fluid does seem early, but then again that is one heavy vehicle generating some very respectable power.

You need to check the condition of the air filter and the brake fluid.

Stealership always try to sell you service/part you don't need.

Originally Posted by JustN89
20k miles for brake fluid does seem early, but then again that is one heavy vehicle generating some very respectable power.

It's starting to be standard on lots of cars. Mercedes always had 2 year brake flushes on their vehicles so 20k is basically every two years. If you're changing the oil that frequently, you mind as well do the same to the brakes. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and over time the internal brake parts could rust out. Changing it often lessens that possibility. In the past when they never used to have a flush interval, the wheel cylinders or brake lines would rust out. No fun driving down the road and realizing your brakes aren't working quite right.

thank you ALL.

just checked manual that came with car. it says:

1.change air engine filter at 30,000
2.cabin filter 15,000

3.change brake fluid every 20,000 miles. my brakes are incredible, i want to keep them that way, will change fluid.
to JMJ Net. i respect your opinion of dealers, but my OWNERS manual said do brake fluid at 20,000. these are the engineers who built the car. Dealers are OFTEN thieves. have known many stories!

great ideas guys!

best,

bob and thanks

Jeez, can't imagine why you would need to do brake fluid so frequently. But I am totally in agreement with following the owners manual. That is what preserves the warranty.

Dealers deserve careful scrutiny. My MIL's Nissan dealer tried to sell her hundreds of dollars in unnecessary services. They typically post signage with services that may or may not be in accordance with factory recommendations.

I wonder if the brake fluid deal is just conforming to long standing practice in Europe. I know the German TUV checks to see the brake fluid has been changed.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

Dealers deserve careful scrutiny. My MIL's Nissan dealer tried to sell her hundreds of dollars in unnecessary services. They typically post signage with services that may or may not be in accordance with factory recommendations.

MOC and BG love dealers - how will they move all that snake oil to 99% of the motoring public?

For me, I change filters when they are very visibly dirty. Nissans are also hard on their oil, so unless do you regular used oil analyses I'd run oil no more than 5-6K. Use the OEM Nissan filter or a Fram Tough Guard/Ultra. Brake fluid I like the 3/30K interval with good quality DOT 4 fluid(ATE, Castrol, Pentosin).

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
For better or worse , I bought a $ 1 turkey baster at Walmart and sucked out all the break fluid and re-filled it with new / fresh . If it is really dirty , do it at every oil change until it looks clean . Same for PS fluid .
Brake fluid doesn't really circulate like PS fluid. I also wouldn't want to chance running a drippy turkey baster over painted surfaces on a car made this decade. I agree with that method for PS fluid, but traditional bleeding is so easy with a vacuum pump, especially on a newer car without corroded fasteners.

One of the reasons to change your BF regularly is also to keep the bleeders from seizing. Also, although Calipers and brake lines are not expensive and easy to change, ABS pumps are not.

Maybe its because they are sold as Fleet Vehicles, & they want to lower maintenance costs, but Ford hybrid cars don't mention brake fluid in the Owner's Manual maintenance schedule. Its not there.
GM ('18 Equinox here, also sold into fleets) vehicles say replace every 5 years regardless of miles.

get a motive power bleeder + the correct master cyl reservoir cap for it, flawless one man brake flushes. you can use it on others with the correct cap.

That might be frequent for the brake fluid, but you should be able to do a gravity bleed on that fairly readily. I did mine with DOT 4, and I wish I believed other posters earlier when they said how easy gravity bleeding was. I had no choice, and I didn't regret it.
wink.gif
Benjy's Motive suggestion is fine, but some people grumble about it being difficult to use with the Infiniti/Nissan master cylinder caps. In any case, a brake fluid flush is fairly cheap and painless, and keeping bleed screws serviceable is nice.

I wouldn't worry about break fluid...I mean, we here on BITOG probably do, but I guarantee you that 90% of all non-BITOG'ers don't even think about it other than it's got break fluid in it. On the filters, take them out and look at them. Really depends on your driving conditions. I'd hold them up to a bright light and see if it's totally blacked out. If not, take a air pressure gun and reverse/blow it out.

The Q50 are pretty neat vehicles - enjoy the ride and they do last a long time.
Most of the folks have covered the most common stuff - since you are annnal you are on the right tract.
Did you replace the differential fluid - if its a RWD, don't need to touch the transmission until 60K.
Nissan makes bullet-proof transmissions and can take enough abuse and neglect.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
I wouldn't worry about break fluid...I mean, we here on BITOG probably do, but I guarantee you that 90% of all non-BITOG'ers don't even think about it other than it's got break fluid in it. On the filters, take them out and look at them. Really depends on your driving conditions. I'd hold them up to a bright light and see if it's totally blacked out. If not, take a air pressure gun and reverse/blow it out.

You sure about that?

Originally Posted by Robertslowpoke
thank you ALL.

just checked manual that came with car. it says:

1.change air engine filter at 30,000
2.cabin filter 15,000

3.change brake fluid every 20,000 miles. my brakes are incredible, i want to keep them that way, will change fluid.
to JMJ Net. i respect your opinion of dealers, but my OWNERS manual said do brake fluid at 20,000. these are the engineers who built the car. Dealers are OFTEN thieves. have known many stories!

great ideas guys!

best,

bob and thanks

Brake fluid is European thing. Almost all countries in Europe, whether EU or not check boiling point of brake fluid. 2 years is limit before it deteriorates too much for inspection.
Nissan is heavily influenced by Renault and lately Mercedes, so that is where it is coming. I personally always do strictly 2 years, using ATE TYP200. If you are DIY inclined get yourself vacuum pump and do it. It is actually very simple but pay attention on sealing of brake fluid reservoir.
As for air filter, I cut it always in half. That is too cheap of a part.

Personally the brake fluid replacement is the last on my list - never on the top of anyones mind.
To think a fluid can cause damage beyond 2 yr/30K is unbelievable, there are folks who never ever change it - they haven't gone off the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back