PYB SM/5W-20 6228mi Honda Accord 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
So, a based on capacity size, the ppm from adding any where from about 1/2 a can will increase 100-200 if using a full can of MoS2, not bad if your oil started with low or no moly to begin with.
At less than $5 for a can, it's hard to argue the value of boosting moly any meaningful amount. Sure, it's not the super-duper amounts but it's effective if it can raise it 100 ppm at least.

Or simply substitute a quart of Toyota 0W-20 or one of the Idemitsu made 0W-20's and get a similar 150 - 200 ppm moly boost with the preferred organic variety. Plus improve the base oil chemistry and increase the VI about 15 points.

Ah, nice alternative. I like it!
thumbsup2.gif

what about this, though, from toyota:

The synthetic oil should now be available at all dealers and should very soon be available in bulk, which will reduce the costs for everyone. Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 0W-20 contains a Toyota specific additive package within it, making it not interchangeable with other synthetic oils of the same weight such as Mobil 1.

What triggered the change? OLM? Or just comfort level?

I have a hard time going over 6200miles myself regardless of oil used
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: k24a4

The synthetic oil should now be available at all dealers and should very soon be available in bulk, which will reduce the costs for everyone. Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 0W-20 contains a Toyota specific additive package within it, making it not interchangeable with other synthetic oils of the same weight such as Mobil 1.

Interesting quote from Toyota. Hmmm...

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
So, a based on capacity size, the ppm from adding any where from about 1/2 a can will increase 100-200 if using a full can of MoS2, not bad if your oil started with low or no moly to begin with.
At less than $5 for a can, it's hard to argue the value of boosting moly any meaningful amount. Sure, it's not the super-duper amounts but it's effective if it can raise it 100 ppm at least.

Or simply substitute a quart of Toyota 0W-20 or one of the Idemitsu made 0W-20's and get a similar 150 - 200 ppm moly boost with the preferred organic variety. Plus improve the base oil chemistry and increase the VI about 15 points.

Ah, nice alternative. I like it!
thumbsup2.gif

That sounds to me as though they are simply recommending the Toyota 0w-20 > M1 AFE 0w-20. Not that it's 'incompatible' when mixed with other oils if that is what is being suggested. Mix away with confidence.

[quote ] . . . . what about this, though, from Toyota:

The synthetic oil should now be available at all dealers and should very soon be available in bulk, which will reduce the costs for everyone. Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 0W-20 contains a Toyota specific additive package within it, making it not interchangeable with other synthetic oils of the same weight such as Mobil 1. [/quote]

I realize (as pointed out above) that the quoted language is not saying Genuine Toyota 0W-20 is incompatible with M1, but I'd like to revisit this (at the risk of jumping the thread).

May I ask the source of the quoted language? IME, it's not uncommon for individual dealers and regional Toyota distributors to make statements in their ads and service bulletins as if they were speaking for the Toyota Motor Company. In this instance, the quoted language clearly is intended to discourage Toyota owners from using a 0W-20 weight oil other than Genuine Toyota (Idemitsu) oil, but this is the first time I've seen anything purportedly from "Toyota" that was quite so blunt. That's why I'm curious as to specific source of the statement. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
[quote ] . . . . what about this, though, from Toyota:

I realize (as pointed out above) that the quoted language is not saying Genuine Toyota 0W-20 is incompatible with M1, but I'd like to revisit this (at the risk of jumping the thread).

May I ask the source of the quoted language? IME, it's not uncommon for individual dealers and regional Toyota distributors to make statements in their ads and service bulletins as if they were speaking for the Toyota Motor Company. In this instance, the quoted language clearly is intended to discourage Toyota owners from using a 0W-20 weight oil other than Genuine Toyota (Idemitsu) oil, but this is the first time I've seen anything purportedly from "Toyota" that was quite so blunt. That's why I'm curious as to specific source of the statement. Thanks.
[/quote]

here it is:

We know there's been much discussion over the new synthetic oil guidelines from Toyota. As was mentioned back in April, the new oil will eventually roll out across more lines and manufacturers and provide lower emissions and improved fuel efficiency.

The owner's manual lists the use of 0W-20 and 5K oil change intervals so we can't really comment further on what would void your warranty.

We can't say much more now, but stay tuned for more info shortly, our experts are doing their best to provide more information as it becomes available.

Best,
Erica G, Prius Product Marketing, TMS, USA

k24a4: Thank you, sir. That answers my question, and it's certainly clear that the comments in the note are coming from the top.

I didn't add it to the motorcraft initially, which now has about 2400 miles on it, but I think I may add 1/2 a can soon. BTW the p1 filter I used for the pyb looked fine, no clogging of the media as far as I could tell.

Mos2 is sub micron sized so it doesn't get filtered out.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
I don't think the MOS2 did anything for you. There are several UOAs on Honda 4-cyl that look this good without MOS2.

HA. So you don't "think" mos2 did anything yet blackstone labs,who do this analysis stuff for a living,whom have established wear metal averages using hundreds and possibly thousands of uoa to establish these averages actually commented stating that this uoa is well below their established data.
And since you've seen several of these uoa that look this good without it I'd love to see them,I doubt their existence but hey anything is possible.

I'll do a search,see if they exist. I'll pm you with a copy and paste of the ones I do find,just to compare,so you will have data and not just "think". K.

I believe they're simply saying that the additive package is unique and the product is not the same (or, in other words, interchangeable) with other oils of the same grade (such as Mobil 1 0W-20).

They do not appear to be commenting on the mixability of the two oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back