PYB - PHM - QS Defy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97XLTsplash
I've been a lifetime Valvoline user. I wasn't happy with the engine noise I was hearing as soon as I used Maxlife. After reading the different additives in different brand oils, I've made the switch from Valvoline VR1 10W30 that I was using in my older Mustangs because the high zinc for the flat tappet cams, to QS DEFY. It's nice going from the $5 a quart VR1 to $15 for 5 Quarts of QS DEFY 10W30. Not only do I get the zinc I want with the DEFY I also get the seal conditioners. For my Ranger and Explorer I've changed from Valvoline to Pennzoil HM 5W30 because of the high moly content, I feel The higher moly and a bit lower zinc in the PHM is better for the newer vehicles with catalytic converters. I just did the oil changes tonight so I don't know how they will do yet. I do have high hopes for quieter engines. I have to say I never though I would put Pennzoil in any of my cars because I always been told it will gunk up the engine. Maybe it was just a mistake Pennzoil made with a past additive. Today looking at what's in the different oils PHM and OS DEFY look a lot better than Valvoline. Sorry to get a little off the subject. I will update when I get some miles on my new oil.

You do know that Pennzoil and Quaker State are the same company right? Both products of SOPUS.

@97XLTsplash - Yes, keep us posted with your results. I ran the Valvoline products in my noise box Subaru and they were not as smooth as PYB or Defy.

Defy 10w30 is pretty smooth but PYB 10w30 is smoother. I will try PHM 10w30 next.

I don't know where people get this non-sense about Pennzoil and Quaker State gunking up an engine. This is so wide-spread that I wonder what is behind it...like crude oil derived from dinosaurs instead of the science-based carbon cycle.

Yeah, this Pennzoil story about gunking up engines goes back way beyond 30 years. Maybe longer when oils(probably Penn) had different add pkgs or, the refining process was behind the times even for that time, IDK!

But, I do remember hearing of it and there are those who won't let it die(my BIL for one)!

In our engines listed below in my sig, I have used PYB, PP etc and it's all good. But, I still notice quieter engine idle/cruising with QS oils...IDKY!
smile.gif

I am running VWB 5W30 in my Altima in this OCI(just changed this month) and it's fine too! Prior to this OCI was ProLine(WPP) 5W30 and it's good too!

Maybe to much Genny Screamers, dinosaur sauce, and garbage plates
smile.gif

Defy 10w30 is good but PYB 10w30, PUP 10w30, old PU 5w20, and QSGB 5w20 are the best so far. I give PUP 10w30 a slight edge over PYB 10w30. This is a pretty loose Subaru EJ25 that makes all kinds of racket and vibration. The PUP 10w30 and PYB 10w30 were the only two that completely stopped the vibration coming thru the gas pedal.

So far my Ranger 2.3L seems to have more noise with the Pennzoil HM than in did with the Maxlife. I've only driven 12 miles. Should I give it more time or switch back now ? From most of what I've been reading oils with moly like Pennzoil should quiet engines down.

So far my Ranger 2.3L seems to have more noise with the Pennzoil HM than in did with the Maxlife. I've only driven 12 miles. Should I give it more time or switch back now ? From most of what I've been reading oils with moly like Pennzoil should quiet engines down.

Give the oil time to lay down its anti wear layer. Try dumping around 5000 miles from now or so

Maxlife is a particularly tenacious oil in my experience, give the Pennzoil at least a 1000 to 1500 miles before you evaluate it. Maxlife does run great in several of our vehicles though.

I run them for about 400 miles for my evaluation....about 5 days.

I should have been more clear...The PUP 10w30 is not quite as smooth but the engine spins up noticeably easier which is why I give it a slight edge. Get a bit better fuel mileage with PUP 10w30 over PYB 10w30.

You don't want just moly...You want the trimer moly which I suspect PYB 10w30 and PUP 10w30 contain. I get 2 mpg better with PYB and 3 mpg better with PUP than with other oils. QSGB 5w20 is also excellent.

Last edited:
Just want to add that I tried both PYB 5w30 and PYB 5w20 and neither were as smooth as PYB 10w30...Don't know what's up with that. If someone can verify that result.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back