Putting Mobil 1 to the test

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

High-Stress Engine Test
An earlier formulation of Mobil 1 was also subjected to an engine test that demonstrates the oxidative stability and wear protection of an oil under high-temperature conditions. This test of Mobil 1 was derived from a Sequence IIIE engine test and was run using a GM 3.8-liter V6 engine with the oil kept at a constant 300° F (149º C) in the oil pan. While the Sequence IIIE test is normally run for 64 hours, this Mobil 1 test was run four times longer. And even after 256 hours, Mobil 1 still provided oil protection.

Keeping in mind that these tests were conducted with earlier formulations of Mobil 1, ExxonMobil engineers are confident that Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will provide even greater protection than its predecessors.

Motorsports Vs. Short Trips
More proof of Mobil 1's superiority is its use in racing, both by sponsored teams and by "Mom and Pop" racers who bring out their pride and joy for weekend competition. Mobil 1 is used by the top teams in Formula 1, NASCAR and CART racing to provide the protection and reliability that is needed to win championships. But it isn't just the resistance to extremely high temperatures that has captured the interest of racing teams. They have found that Mobil 1 can actually reduce an engine's internal friction and thereby help it produce more horsepower.

As visible and exciting as racing is, it still does not represent the toughest test of a motor oil. Racing teams warm their engines carefully to operating temperature and change their oil often. Compared to driving in stop-and-go traffic, a 220-mph lap at Indianapolis is easy for a motor oil!

Short trips don't allow the engine to warm up enough to burn off corrosion-producing acids and moisture in the oil. When the engine finally does warm up, excess heat can build up while idling at a traffic light. The slow speeds of city driving don't provide enough airflow to cool things down. Lugging the engine at low speed and the heavy use of accessories like air conditioning put a tremendous strain on the engine.

Two things about this is they didn't tell you what the viscosity was after 256hrs. And isn't this the older test, being E, and now there is F?

Also, how can driving 220mph be easier on the oil then stop and go traffic? I know stop and go is hard on oil, but for speeds of 220mph, they must have been refering to M1 15w-50.

Thanks for the post...Mobil propaganda but still informative.I use Mobil oil,good for what I do with it.On this site we are getting anal about lubrication,but thats what we're here for I guess...you have to remember there are millions of vehicles out there running anything the lube places put in and go for years on that stuff.To me it's mostly apples and oranges...get a good synthetic and filter combo for your particular vehicle and it will last longer than you want to keep it anyway
grin.gif

Actuly buster many F1 teams are the exception rather then the rule with regurds to Vis and raceing. Alot of F1 teams are useing 0W oil to gain HP. If the engine makes it through the race then the oil has done it's job. F1 engines have ho low end torque or HP all of their power is between 9000RPM and 17,000 RPM so the dynamic's invloved with this are a bit different then a daily driver that can be expected to see large amounts of loading at the crank when the oil pressure and volume are at their lowest point. F1 also runs a dry sump and galoons of oil. The oil is drained and the engine sent back to the supplier after each race. You also do not see engines that are not function efficently in raceing. The daily driver has bad fuel, egr system poisioning the oil and combustion gas's, marginal EGR and PCV system from lack of maintence, dirty worn out air filter, cheap copper plugs that have been in the engine for 80,000 miles and a pluged up fuel filter causeing irradic lean condition............ I used to see people all the time that had no idea that the oil had to be changed. They thought that you just kept topping it off. One car had 50,000 on it and was only 2 years old. The valves were carboned in the open postion and could not close due to carbon build up. THe other had 80,000 on it and still had the factory installed oil filter. So no I doubt that raceing is a true test an oil's properties these days. I think that a better test would be to heat soak the engine buy doing hard track work followed by a city circuit and repeat until the oil failed.

quote:

On this site we are getting anal about lubrication,but thats what we're here for I guess...you have to remember there are millions of vehicles out there running anything the lube places put in and go for years on that stuff.

Couldn't agree more.
smile.gif
John, thanks for the info. I see your point.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back