NEW Mobil 1 RACING OIL!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S2k is $8.35 unless you buy it at dealer cost which costs $20 to get that price. S2k is clearly over priced. This is why ASL/ATM are such good buys.

You guys are hillarious! How can you come up with so much chatter over a product we have NO specs on? This thread just points out how much info in this forum is based on speculation, hype, and opinions rather than scientific fact. I guess it's like anything else. You have to sort through all the garbage and glean what little true knowledge can be found. Sometimes it's hard to find the truth among all the chatter. This thread takes the cake though. You don't see the likes of Molecule in these threads do you?

Its Mobil1. Who needs specs?
As long as they don't go groupIII, its gotta be good.

I agree that I have speculated way to much, way too soon but I also agree with undummy in that usually Mobil makes a great product. I have no idea what this product will be like. It could be excellent or it could be an average A3 rated oil. I'll take either at this point. What I find hard to believe is that Mobil would release to the public a proprietary racing formula. Does anyone else find that hard to believe? Companies are usually tight lipped about that kind thing.
dunno.gif

This thread was started to INFORM people that Mobil is going to be releasing a new more advanced oil to the public. Hence the news story I posted. After that, it's all fun and games. I've been fooling around trying to speculate what it's going to be like. Not every thread is going to be scientific or educactional. That would be boring if you ask me. It's good to have fun now and then.
wink.gif

Too much time on those chu chu trains pal.
nono.gif

userfriendly, instead of commenting on others posting, why don't you contribute to the discussion?
dunno.gif

[ November 06, 2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

FWIW, I spoke with George over at AVLubes and he is very familiar with Mobil's 0w-30 R oil. It's used by the NASCAR community. Team Penske uses it. He said he would post info about it on here. He said it's an advanced PAO. Aparently some of the NASCAR drivers are using a new technology that goes beyond the R oil we will be getting which makes sense why it's being released publiclally.

The Amsoil Series 2000/3000 oils are far and away the most popular products I sell locally - even though I charge $2.00/qt more for them. The reason is that my Series 2000 customers have been sucessfully running 10,000-20,000 mile change intervals for the last eight years. Combine that with the measurable fuel savings from a heavily friction modified 0w-30 and the product is very cost effective, even for folks who aren't concerned about high performance or racing.

If anybody tries selling a super premium synthetic for $5.50-$8.00/quart and does not warranty the product for greatly extended drains, it will be relegated to the same niche market occupied by Redline. The current, Group II petroleum oils work very well for 5000-6000 mile drain intervals under most conditions. There is no reason to pay for a top tier, PAO/Ester based synlube unless you can run it significantly longer than 10,000 miles, or you are involved in racing.

I'd love to compete with Mobil 1 on the basis of quality, rather than try to match their fire sales of M1 in 5 quart jugs at Walmart for $19.00. That's less than the commercial price of Amsoil in quart containers and much less than the price - including shipping - I pay as an Amsoil dealer.

Ted

quote:

If anybody tries selling a super premium synthetic for $5.50-$8.00/quart and does not warranty the product for greatly extended drains, it will be relegated to the same niche market occupied by Redline

I guessing that is Mobil's plans with this R oil. I'm guessing but the article made it seem like it's aimed at the high performance market that RL is in. Would Amsoil S2k be an oil though for racing? It seems to lack EP addtives like moly that are crucial for racing. I spoke with a Aaron at Amsoil and he told me specifically that Amsoil is in the extended drain market and that is there focus. He was a very nice, and honest guy. I think Amsoil's oils are excellent and among the best. I'm not sure though if S2k is the oil for racing?? TS can you help out? From a formulation stand point, doesn't RL's approach make it a better fit for racing applications? Jim V at Amsoil has stated before that they use a very basic additive package and focus more on the base oil. This also suggests that extended drains are top priority with Amsoil.

Ted, I think if Mobil priced there oils at $5.85qt, you would see indentical quality. If and when Mobil does go A3 rated with there 30wt oils, I'm not so sure there will be any difference between Amsoil and Mobil 1.
dunno.gif

[ November 08, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster,

The Series 2000, 0w-30 has been used in both Winston Cup and Busch Series racing for the past eight years. I've also seen it used in motorcycle racing in very high rpm Japanese bikes in place of the Amsoil 10w-40 high performance oil.

Take a look at the level of additives in this oil:

P ...1200 ppm
Zn ... 1500 ppm
Boron ... 70 ppm

Mg ...890 ppm
Ca ...2800 ppm
Silicone ...4 ppm - antifoam agent

Those are just the things you can see in an oil analysis and not the basestock blend ....

Ted

Ted, thanks. I wasn't aware of S2k being used by those names. The question I have is does Amsoil sell them the exact same formula to these teams or do they boost the levels of additives when giving it to a race team? What is interesting to me is that S2k has been out for quite some time and Mobil is now just releasing a true Race oil into the market. S2k is defintely heavily FModified. My friends C5 Vette temps. dropped 15F when switching to S2k from M1 5w-30. It will be really interesting to see the specs of this oil. As I said before, Mobil is using a new technology that is beyond R now and which is why we are seeing the "trickle" down effect at play here.

I'm hoping George can step in a give us some details of this oil. All we know so far is that it's extremely shear stable, has increased anti-wear additives and is heavily friction modified.

[ November 08, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

The Series 2000 used for racing is the same stuff anybody can buy - that's one reason why it's expensive.

Ted

[ November 08, 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back