NEW Mobil 1 RACING OIL!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, all we can do is speculate. I HIGHLY doubt it will be group III. Mobil is very particular about their oil being group IV. I'm guessing it will be a "beefed up" Mobil 1. It will contain more esters, anti-wear additives and fall in between the 11-12.2cSt range. It will most likely have ZDDP in line with Redline's amounts and maybe more moly. It can't be the EXACT formula used for racing due to lack of detergents I believe.

I would't doubt that Mobil is watching this board. Why not? More and more people seem to be using Amsoil and Redline for their modified cars. My friend switched to S2k in his Vette. Polls still indicate that Mobil 1 owns the market but if they see Amsoil and Redline as a threat, why not take them on? They clearly are capable of making superior oils. They manufacture the materials. Regardless, I'm happy they are!! I think it's great thay they are going beyond the status quo and giving the consumers that want the absolute best, something to chose from. Plus, we won't have to special order this oil.. a huge advantage of being a large company!
cheers.gif

***? Can't they decide what weight their "racing" oil is? Is it SAE 50 or SAE 30? Shure 30 weight will wil have less power loss from internal drag, but what about film thickness? I suppose it is a move toward more modern formulation. Will it be ACEA A5 or A3 is my big question. Either one is fine, but neither means it is not long-life at all. I say A5 but no manufacturers specs like 0w-40 has. I am not worried about a GC replacment, although I will try the new M1 5w-40 in mom's V6 hi-miles Audi.

This oil most likely will contain a lot of Moly and use a group V basestock although a strong group IV is probably fine. Terry might know. I think M1 monitors this website. We have been calling for this for a long time. Also, when you factor in the HP of some of these new cars and the fact that Amsoil/Redline could be gaining market share, it only makes sense. This oil will be whicked I bet. M1 SS is already as good as most oils so this one hopefully will be excellent.

quote:

Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Yikes! Could this be an oil that directly challenges GC?

Patman must be going through some sort of severe anxiety disorder.
tongue.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif

It'll be interesting to see the specs on this oil!

One thing is for sure though, if it comes to Canada at all, it'll be six months to a year behind the US. This always happens when Mobil 1 comes out with new stuff. And we don't have too many places right now which even sell their current 0w30 oil (or their 0w20 or 0w40 for that matter, it's hard to find them here)

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I think M1 monitors this website. We have been calling for this for a long time.

Maybe they'll do something about the price hike at Wally World...They WOULD sell much more oil at the old price, but with the hike then Schaeffers looks great again...and the UOA's do back up the quality between these 2 brands

quote:

Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Yikes! Could this be an oil that directly challenges GC?

Hope not...they need to set the bar higher than that to get my attention. If it's only challenging GC, I'm not interested.
Want to give Red Line or VP a run for their money? Hello!!

Defenitely would like more info on this one.
quote:

I think M1 monitors this website.

Good call on their part. If I can get more favorable info...I'll definitely be giving it a try.

That's funny..
lol.gif
My initial thoughts are that this is a replacement product for their 0-30 which isn't up to snuff at all.

In reading some of the comments...if "SuperSyn" is sooo good and such a good addative, why does the SS version need moly? Why didn't the TS need it?

If it's going to be a competitor to GC I wonder what color and odor it'll have. Red color and the scent of bubble gum to compete with the gummi bear smell and green color of GC. This oil stuff is making me hungry for candy
grin.gif

They just have decided what there race oil is. Guys, it's not that hard to see what they are doing. The M1 grades available now will be excellent choices for 99% of most cars, even the current 0w-30 which hasn't shown to be as bad as everyone else is making it out to be. The 0w-30 R is the oil you want for your new WRX, Vette, Viper or whatever performance application you have. I should probably be a bit more reserved bc I have not seen the specs., but I highly doubt it will be anything less then great. WORST CASE scenario is still a good one IMO and we end up with a thicker A3 rated 30wt M1 oil that you can BUY ANYWHERE.
wink.gif

It might be interesting to review the recent debacle with the M1, motorcycle oils....This was their last attempt at a "purpose formulated" synthetic lube ....

The motorcycle synthetics were first marketed at Autozone for a significant premium over garden variety Mobil. This worked fine until somebody did a $20.00 oil analysis and posted the results on the web. It then became apparent that Mobil was charging $8.00/qt for the same basic additive chemistry you can get in the M1, 15w-50 for $4.75/qt.

The few bottles of M1, 10w-40 and 20w-50 Motorcycle oil at my local Autozone have been there so long you'd have to use carbon 14 dating to estimate when they were blended ...
wink.gif

I'm highly amused that Mobil considers blending a performance oil with an adequate amount of antiwear additives, to be some sort of a major breakthough. It seems sort of obvious to me ....

I agree Ted. I have to admit I got overly excited initialy. But I'm not holding my breath on this oil. I was going to bring up the "motorcycle" oil subject too. Trying to be nice I guess
smile.gif
I think this will be a poseur oil to take monetary advantage of the ricer mentality. Similar to the motorcycle oils. You'd think for the price they charge on those they could at least make them shear stable...

Look at S2k 0w-30. What is so great about that oil to charge $8.35qt? Nothing. So oxidation is 15%pts lower, whoopdy doo.

You complain when Mobil 1 isn't A3 rated and thicker and now your complaining bc it might not be amazing. Never satisfied are you.
rolleyes.gif

Amsoil has no room to criticize. None, zero, zilch, nada---
wink.gif

[ November 05, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Correction to all board members: What I have been saying is pure specualation and I applogize. I have no idea what this oil will be. I'm purely speculating.
smile.gif

How's that. I really should't have said what I did. I have no clue what this oil will be.

Yes, it’s all speculation on our part … until we see some analysis.
dunno.gif
“Racing” is a marketing term which is abused at least as often as “synthetic” is.
rolleyes.gif

“It will most likely have ZDDP in line with Red Line's amounts and maybe more moly. “

More
moly than Red Line? More than 600PPM?
shocked.gif

My first thought I read that first post was: It’s about time. They’ve tried to pass off the B.S. that their oil was the best stuff available for virtually any and all applications … which was just that: exactly B.S. They also strongly implied that racing teams were using the exact same off-the-shelf oils which were available at Wal-Mart. Except for a couple of examples, this is also a bunch of B.S. In fact, the more I thought about it, the madder I got.
mad.gif

But now, after seeing some comments here, I’m not sure what to think. They are recommending it for street racers … so it does not look like a competitor to Red Line, Synergen, etc … which offer pure pure-racing products. Might it be the same old formula with more ester … and perhaps slightly elevated barrier anti-wear additives?

The ester bit seems unlikely if you believe George CLS and the rumor (?) that Mobil is getting away from esters in their M 1 formulations.

So is this new wonder oil merely an improved version of their existing M1? A competitor for German Castrol Syntec? Will it be API certified If so, ho-hum.
tongue.gif

Or is this some sort of precursor to them switching the typical M1 base stock over to Group III? Look at the people complaining that the price of M1 went up at Wal-Mart.
rolleyes.gif

Too Slick: “I'm highly amused that Mobil considers blending a performance oil with an adequate amount of anti-wear additives, to be some sort of a major breakthrough. It seems sort of obvious to me ....”

lol.gif

I guess we’ll all have to wait and see.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Looking forward to this oil, even if it's only a A3 rated 0w-30 with nothing else. Matt from Mobil tech told me that the drag racing communittee has wanted a lighter viscosity oil for HP increases but still wanted the protection of a higher wt oil and this is how it came about.
dunno.gif

Jelly - All Amsoil oils do not cost $8.35/qt.
Amsoil has many products ranging from $3.45 to indeed $12 for a gear oil.

Suggested retail for the Series 2000 0W-30 and 20W-50, and Series 3000 5W-30 is indeed $8.35, but can be had for less - but still the 0W-30 isn't much of a bargain when you can buy 5W-30 for $4.50/qt (same for 10W-30, 10W-40). The HD and marine 15W-40 (AME) full synthetic is about $4/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back