Put off building shed?

So we've been wanting to build a shed for OPE, I think 8x16. Big enough for one ATV with a plow and a riding tractor, the usual outdoor stuff, plus a lean-to for kayaks and canoe. Before we pulled a permit though we are noticing that lumber prices are ... a bit higher than last year. !

Obviously nobody has a crystal ball, but any guess as to if lumber prices will drop over the course of the summer, or maybe next year, or is this the new norm? I don't think this is the new norm, but I'm not sure if waiting until next year is warranted.

Reactions: JC1
That's basically it. I think I can wait, my needs aren't huge, but it'd be nice to get started if we were to do it this year.

I might just start using my enclosed trailer as a shed in the meantime. Not perfect but at the moment it's free.

One source says lumber has increased 50% since April 2020 to a 2 year high so it isn't off the charts just not at a low point. A quick search finds no predictions of prices dropping dramatically. Only you know your need vs cost equation. Dice roll.

Obviously nobody has a crystal ball, but any guess as to if lumber prices will drop over the course of the summer, or maybe next year, or is this the new norm? I don't think this is the new norm, but I'm not sure if waiting until next year is warranted.
As you said, I don't have a crystal ball, but I don't think prices are going to drop anytime soon. The high prices are a combination of high demand for new construction along with reduced production due to the pandemic. Even when production returns to normal levels (maybe it already has) I think the demand for construction isn't going anywhere and it will take while to meet that demand.

I'm in the same boat. We take possession of our new (to us) house May 10th, and I had planned on building a shed right away. Given the current state of building material prices, the lawnmower might just have to live in the garage until next year. I just hate buying anything at inflated prices if I can avoid it.

15x8 Lifetime Resin shed was $1150 last time I was at BJ's.

I think you could build a solid platform for it for $300ish
Was going to suggest similarly. Check pre-built sheds including wood ones. I'm wanting to get a shed and multiple people have suggested buying a "kit" vs buying the lumber and DIY'ing.

So we've been wanting to build a shed for OPE, I think 8x16. Big enough for one ATV with a plow and a riding tractor, the usual outdoor stuff, plus a lean-to for kayaks and canoe. Before we pulled a permit though we are noticing that lumber prices are ... a bit higher than last year. !

I read lumber prices went from around $250 / 1000 bd feet to over $1200. A year or two ago it was tariffs on cedar from Canada. I just paid over $100 for a single 1" x 10" x 16' finger jointed primed cedar trim.

I just completed a 32 X 40 Garage with 12 foot walls.

I got a quote for prices in 2019, I required about 100 sheets in total.
original pricing from june 2019:

3/8 OSB $10.79/ sheet
7/16 OSB $10.85

& at the beginning of the pandemic I got them to update prices.
I asked for a new updated quote from my hardware supplier and they provided
newer pricing on June 6, 2020:

3/8 OSB $13.95 up 29.3 % from previous year
7/16 OSB $13.75 up 27.1 % from previous year
At that time I thought prices hadn't increased too terribly yet, & decided to proceed with the build.

About 10 weeks later they deliver my package without confirming, or advising of the larger increase in prices that were now in effect.

Aug 12, 2020 pricing:

3/8 OSB $22.09, up 58.4% from June 2020, & up 105% from 2019
X 45 sheets
$994.05 $627.75 $485.55

7/16 OSB $25.29, up 84% from June 2020, & up 133% from 2019
X 55 sheets
$1390.95 $756.25 $ 596.75

This product ended up costing $2385.00 for the total OSB.

It only increased the total build by about $1300 for the OSB, & maybe another 600 for the studs in total.

Prices have continued to increase, & hearing over $50 for OSB now.

In hindsight I should have pre-paid for the plywood when I received my quote in June, & even offered to put a deposit down to secure prices, but the hardware rep didn't seem to have any forewarning that prices would increase that much.

These are all Canadian prices.

Not sure if your materials have increased like this

Attachments

• 20210420_085426 (1).jpg
    20210420_085426 (1).jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
15x8 Lifetime Resin shed was $1150 last time I was at BJ's.

I think you could build a solid platform for it for $300ish
We were thinking of pouring a slab, rather than dealing with a ramp.

How long will resin last? I usually think of plastic sheds as not standing up over the years.

I would wait. We too have some building on hold. Our prices were stupid high to begin with, they are even worse.

I used to get 3/8 OSB for 12 bucks a sheet all in. Last year some time it was north of 35. No thanks.

I would go ahead and get it built asap. In the longer term the trillions $ being printed right now will inflate money supply and water down (devalue) what you have in the bank. IMO the devaluation is just starting so converting depreciating cash to hard assets is smart to maintain value. A good quality shed will add value to the property you may recover later.

A 3/8 inch OSB is right at $50 right now and a 2x4 is over $6.00 - this is crazy insane. I don't understand how construction hasn't stopped yet with the way the prices are.

I think they carry a 10 year warranty.

A slab would be best, if you have the ability.
Don’t have the ability (desire?) to mix by hand so we’d contract that out.

10 years isn’t bad, if it can handle the snow load that might work ok short-term. Drop some gravel, or maybe not even, just put up and use for a few years, and re-evaluate. I’ll look into that and see what is out there.

I had a metal shed at my old house and I just don’t think I want another one. Plus I have a bajillion rodents it seems and I really need to keep them out of anything I build.

I used four 4X4 fence posts with eight 2X4's placed flat on top with 5/8's plywood on top of that.

I wanted it raised off the ground so that I didn't get spring melt running into it and things could dry off under the shed. Good enough for a snow blower, mower and bikes.

Used pressure treated wood.

Back