Put off building shed?

Maybe look up a local sawmill guy, there's no need for inspected lumber for a shed is there? Ask your building inspector I guess. Rough sawn holds stain 100x better than planed wood as well if you do board and batten. Sheet metal roofing only needs a purlin every 18" or so if its not steep enough to shed the snow.

Last edited:

So we've been wanting to build a shed for OPE, I think 8x16. Big enough for one ATV with a plow and a riding tractor, the usual outdoor stuff, plus a lean-to for kayaks and canoe. Before we pulled a permit though we are noticing that lumber prices are ... a bit higher than last year. !
Did you do the math on your materials list? Not wanting to pay higher prices on principal is understandable but on the other hand if the new price is doable and you have no plans of selling anytime soon it amortizes away and you've had the use of your new building for a year or whatever longer while you wait for prices to maybe drop. I've noticed over the years that when prices go up in a category of goods due to an unplanned event of some sort it seems prices don't go down very fast or as far once the disruption is past.

We've been talking about a new patio paver project with a gas fire pit and finally decided to do it. Went to order the pavers we like and guess what... supply shortage delivery is 8-10 weeks out. Maybe. We're DIYers because we like to but not in July.

Reactions: JC1
Wife had a materials list but she put that together a month or so ago. Probably easy to update. But it's been a problem getting a quote for the slab, no one calls back I guess (only tried a couple places). I think we were around $5k or so, but that was a month ago.

I'd like to have a nice shed and all, but at some point I wonder when it's worth the money.

If you are doing to build anything this year you should order your lumber now, they will be out of stock come summer.

I don't think lumber prices will come down next year probably be 2-3 years by the time demand goes down.

I'm glad I built my shed back in 2012.

Here's a pic, it's ,8*12.

Attachments

• IMG_20210420_190041.jpg
    IMG_20210420_190041.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 6
One source says lumber has increased 50% since April 2020 to a 2 year high so it isn't off the charts just not at a low point. A quick search finds no predictions of prices dropping dramatically. Only you know your need vs cost equation. Dice roll.
Have you been to Home Depot lately? It's off the charts. I was there the other day and it's over $60 for a sheet of plywood.

I used four 4X4 fence posts with eight 2X4's placed flat on top with 5/8's plywood on top of that.

I wanted it raised off the ground so that I didn't get spring melt running into it and things could dry off under the shed. Good enough for a snow blower, mower and bikes.

Used pressure treated wood.
Have you seen the price of pressure treated wood lately? Especially the sheets? It's might be cheaper to pour a slab.

How about a metal carport type of building? Some thing like these. I just pulled the link and I am not involved metal carport. Everything is expensive.

I used four 4X4 fence posts with eight 2X4's placed flat on top with 5/8's plywood on top of that.

I wanted it raised off the ground so that I didn't get spring melt running into it and things could dry off under the shed. Good enough for a snow blower, mower and bikes.

Used pressure treated wood.
You need to use ground contact pressure treated wood. Not the plain PT wood.

How about a metal carport type of building? Some thing like these. I just pulled the link and I am not involved metal carport. Everything is expensive.
That would work for winter, just to keep snow off the 4 wheeler (which I use to plow with), but I need something that will keep rodents out the rest of the year. They are nesting in everything.

That's basically it. I think I can wait, my needs aren't huge, but it'd be nice to get started if we were to do it this year.

I might just start using my enclosed trailer as a shed in the meantime. Not perfect but at the moment it's free.
If this is the way you feel, I’d make yourself a quote (assuming you’re doing it yourself) and see if it’s worth it to you. If you want it, do it.

Living up here in the mountains, bears can be a problem when it comes to holding garbage. When we moved in 5 1/2 years ago I built a real nice, double can bear-proof garbage enclosure. And it is extremely heavy to move around once constructed. When I built it, not including hardware, with all pressure-treated ground contact lumber, the wood cost around $180. A new neighbor who just moved in had her first encounter with what critters can do to garbage that's not enclosed. She saw my enclosure, and a few others I built for other neighbors, and asked if I would build her one. I said sure but lumber prices are through the roof. She didn't care as long as I was willing. Yesterday I picked up the same amount and type of lumber I have used in the past ( I have a spreadsheet with the exact lengths I need and the exact cuts that need to be made to get the least amount of waste) from Home Depot and the total was $345. Both totals included 7% sales tax.

Just bought some 2x6 cedar 12 ft long for $44 each US equivalent. It’s Western Red Cedar milled in B.C. Our local mills have spruce and fir. We have a mill five miles away but the log haul is too long to bother doing cedar.

Last edited:
Back