Push Mower Running Rich

Small engine novice looking for some help. Mower (Craftsman 6.5 briggs and stratton) was previously running well, started up on the first pull or first few pulls every time now issue. I hit a root a week ago and broke the flywheel key. Replaced that and reassembled, went to mow the fairly neglected lawn at that point.

Engine intermittently seems to be running way too rich (black smoke, really bogged down barely running but not stalling). It seems to start out of nowhere, and can run that way for a couple of minutes before returning to normal. Happens when the mower is being pushed relatively flat or up a small incline.

I have a portion of property that has a fairly significant slope for 6 or 7 feet and i noticed it did not occur when the mower was pointed down and then pulled back up the slope. It seems (but this could be my imagination/dumb luck) that pulling it backwards sometimes snaps it out of running rich after ~20 feet (but again, this could be my imagination, it is not 100%).

Wondering what to check/look for? Already tried removing the air filter and cleaning the carb (removed and disassembled).

Couple of pictures from my last saga of the mower to give an idea:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/craftsman-push-mower-starts-and-stalls.370950/

Dirty air filter and/or what SHOZ just posted about needles and seat or float problems

Usually if I hit a rock or root and it stops the blade hard - that's all she wrote for that motor.

Didn't watch this video, but this guy supposedly tackles the job.

Are you aware that China sourced carbs are available for well under 20 bucks online and may be cheaper than a b&s rebuild kit. No guarantees on those cheap carbs, though. Hit or miss.

If it's only forward and only in WET heavy grass, it's a possibility that the plug wire is getting shorted out

If it's only forward and only in WET heavy grass, it's a possibility that the plug wire is getting shorted out
Thanks, it doesn’t stop immediately going backwards, just seemed like it returned to normal more frequently getting pulled backwards.

Guess based on the feedback I will swap in a new carb I have from a different mower. I figured cleaning would do the trick and there may have been more to consider.

need to check the air filter first, then clean the carb. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the spark plug.

Just my $0.02

Sticking float due to a corroded float hinge pin or a needle/seat problem. It's a very easy carb. to work on.

Back