Purple Ice in a 99 TL, questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some Purple Ice to eliminate hot spots. I have been reading here that it is not compatible with Prestone coolant, is this true? I have also read a lot of threads stating it will scum up my coolant. I wanted to see what the pros and cons would be for my car. I have Prestone 50/50 in right now. Thanks.

It's not needed. Keep your cooling system clean and serviced on time and you'll be fine.

****, i knew I should have read here before I went and bought it. I bought it over a week ago and its sitting in my garage. Am I right that it is not compatible with Prestone? will it scum up and damage my cooling system?

Redline WW like Purple Ice has shown it's best results when straight water is used. Since engines needs coolant from freeze up...coolant is added. It helps but at 50/50 solution...some like it others say it doesn't do much.

I think that sludge concept happens to folks that use the Dex-cool coolant. I like the RMI-25, a good cleaner that prevents build up and also is a water surfactant similar to Redline WW and Purple Ice. Completely non-toxic with no sludge issues with any type of coolant. In fact some folks run it with straight water where freeze up is a non factor.

I THOUGHT I READ ON HERE THAT PURPLE ICE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PRESTONE EHTYLENE-GLYCOL ANTIFREEZE? I already bought the stuff and if it will help to some degree and not hurt anything then I want to use it. Can someone here let me know if this stuff is okay to use?

Just replace the coolant every 30K with the Honda-specific coolant and you will never have a coolant-related issue, ever.

How do you know you have hot spots? Get your money back.
Just drain and fill with a 50/50 mix of whatever you feel best about. All the latest coolants mixed at 50/50 (Prestone All-makes, G-05, Dex Cool, Dex Cool clones, Honda Genuine, etc.) are all compatible with each other in any ratio. When you see the condition of the old coolant, you can decide if you want to flush with distilled water. But if it looks OK, then just fill with 50/50.
Filling with new coolant (mixed with distilled water) on a regular basis (2-4 years), keeping it topped up, and getting the air out is what's most important.

Use the Purpleice. I haven't seen the so-called Prestone issue. Even those some of the below mentioned additves work best in straight water, they will still work in a 50:50 blend.

All engines have hot spots. Whether those hot spots are causing issues is something that companies are cashing in on.

Another problem is that most people don't have clean coolant. They read their owners manual and enjoy the neglect it allows.

For future maintenance, just use that 50:50 mix. Practice a yearly maintenance program. There is no need for additives if everything is working correctly.

I would never recommend or even consider running straight water even if the weather allows. I've seen too many, storage unit heat failures, trips to the mountains, and freak cold weather spells, which can kill an engine.

I also don't see too many companies advertising the strength or life of their additive packages. I've seen scale and corrosion in vehicles run with straight water with these additives. They need more frequent maintenance. If you don't believe me, contact your additive company. Have them prove that their product will provide the same long term anticrud performance when used with straight water when compared to my additive free 50:50 mix. Most provide additional protection to the antifreeze mix and will need higher doses, or other additives, for straight water usage. Antifreezes/coolants are tested to OEM, SAE, or ASTM standards. Are any of your additives tested?

I have no problems running any of the additives(wetting agents, antirust, pump lubes) from Prestone, Zerex, Redline, RMI, Lubegard, RoyalPurple, BMR, RadiatorRelief, Firefreeze, Problend, CRC, KwicKool, Gunk, Motorcool....But, I don't see the need if your cooling system is working, is maintained, is at a ~50:50 concentration.

If weather allows, consider leaning out the antifreeze to 25% with your product of choice. But, beware that you will require more frequent maintence to prevent scale and corrosion, that you will need to read the directions and dose your product properly.

Another problem(vehicle dependend) with running straight water in warm climates is that your A/C can freeze the water in your heater core, dependent on HVAC plumbing.
So, please run some antifreeze. Even a 25% blend, with your additive of choice, has many benefits you might not see right now. Hindsight is 20:20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back