Purolator PureONE PL20195 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not remember how many miles the filter had on it, unfortunately. I took it off of my sister's 2001 Ford Windstar after noticing that she topped it off with nasty looking old oil, so I wanted to get it changed ASAP. I think it had around 2,500-3,000 miles on it, maybe? It suddenly consumed about 2 quarts of oil out of the blue. After this oil change, it threw a rod and thus ended the Windstar's life. I suspect it was the head gasket that went (again).

No pleat tears to be found. The only issue I had was how wavy the pleats were around the seam. The ADBV was soft and pliable. The can was very thin and only took me about 30 seconds to cut through with my Dremel.

20141102_145242_zps33c11ce8.jpg

20141102_145402_zps7c532dec.jpg

20141102_145605_zps6523e62f.jpg

20141102_145617_zps9fc05ae1.jpg

20141102_145342_zps275fbd80.jpg

I should note that this filter had a date code "E" (2013)

Other than some wavy pleats the filter looks like it would at least holding up and not having any media attachment failures.

Throwing a rod is not something that happens very often, anymore. Usually that indicates a lot of abuse.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Other than some wavy pleats the filter looks like it would at least holding up and not having any media attachment failures.

Throwing a rod is not something that happens very often, anymore. Usually that indicates a lot of abuse.

No abuse, but the engine did have a head gasket problem. We used a stop leak and it held up for about 5,000 miles, but it eventually let go completely and I suspect it flooded the cylinder with water when parked. When she started it up, it threw the rod because of the coolant couldn't compress. The oil was quite milky when I checked it after it threw the rod.

Those 3.8L engines were a low-point in the Ford program, IMO. Head gaskets were consumed with some regularity. Throwing a rod is not common, but ceratinly not as if it could never happen.

Now, although it would be been a bit under-powered, if they had stuck the Vulcan in there, those things would run forever.

Filter looks typical for the expected exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back