Purolator Pureone-good for semi long oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
are these good for say 7k mile oci?
reason i ask if because their website said it should be changed every 3k. yeah yeah i know they want us to buy more, cant hurt to ask you guys though

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
reason i ask if because their website said it should be changed every 3k. yeah yeah i know they want us to buy more, cant hurt to ask you guys though

How long does it take you to put on 7k as a daily driver?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn

How long does it take you to put on 7k as a daily driver?

6 months

Call me crazy, but I go 20K miles on a Purolator Premium Plus on a 2007 Civic and 2006 Accord. Both cars rack up 20K miles per year.... but I do 7K, 7k and 6K oil changes.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Call me crazy, but I go 20K miles on a Purolator Premium Plus on a 2007 Civic and 2006 Accord. Both cars rack up 20K miles per year.... but I do 7K, 7k and 6K oil changes.

looks clean in the filter still?

He's doing it right at every other time. How many of his miles do you think are in warm up where all the nasty stuff is produced?

Above a certain mileage a year in daily driving, one year is doable with just about any filter to a point. A filter loads mostly do to warm up.

This works for most daily drivers. MOST

10k or less ..6 months for oil and filter and go as cheap as you please

10k or more (the higher the better) 6 months on the oil one year on the filter ..and go as expensive as you please.

So is the filter good to say 12k? I put about 10-12k every year. I use synthetic of course and I wanted to see if I could run 10-12k OCIs with this filter.

Im doing 8k OCIs right now with no problems

You're right on the threshold for my distinction on the use of a top tier filter. It will work out to cheaper or as cheap as doing the cheaper filter offering 2x in the same annual schedule.

You'll accumulate insoluble material over any given OCI based on your cold starts. It will vary with your time to getting out of fuel enrichment. Some will be very small ..like 2um that your filter just won't touch ..period. Many will be filterable.

Shorter mileage on a daily driver? More insolubles per mile are produced.

Longer mileage on a daily driver? The same amount of insolubles are produced, but are distributed over more miles. The miles out of fuel enrichment are mostly invisible to the filter.

Filter life is mostly dictated by this unavoidable insoluble production. If you take something like a taxi, the 3-4k that they get serviced at probably processes nearer double the fuel through the engine and that same fuel would produce 7k+ in a longer distance commuter car. The oil will fatigue with oxidation before the filter will get saturated from cold starts.

Essentially you break it down to $$/mile. Each filter will probably have a similar lifespan in service. While the cheaper filter may have a lower holding capacity, it will also have a less fine filtering efficiency. That's where the refresh rate of the sump comes into play on a time/mileage/fuel usage kinda way.

That's why you've got to be careful when you hear "A pureone will go 10k" because it's just too numb an assertion. Sure, it will even do upwards of 15k for someone in the right service duty. It all depends on how many hollow miles are included in the total miles of usage.

So, if you're someone doing 10k-15k, you can probably take advantage of the added features of a top tier filter if changed very other time. Otherwise, you're probably ditching an expensive filter @ 6month with little or no benefits of it's features.

This is exclusive of annoyances of nitrile ADBV's with some engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back