Purolator PureOne for 1-Year OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does time have anything to do with filtration? If any filter can't last a year (disregarding mileage) then I wouldn't want to use it anyway.

It has to be mileage or running time that determines a filters useful life, not just time.

Heck my buddy had a filter from a camaro that was in storage for over 5 years,i cut it open and it looked fine.

Originally Posted By: Zedhed
How does time have anything to do with filtration? If any filter can't last a year (disregarding mileage) then I wouldn't want to use it anyway.

It has to be mileage or running time that determines a filters useful life, not just time.

I read that the EaO filter became more efficient the longer it was in use. Perhaps it is like this with all, and I just haven't read/learned that yet?

To answer my own question though, a cheaper one it is then! Media degradation is what I was worried about. Thanks for all of the clarifications guys (and gals if you're out there)!

Originally Posted By: roushstage2
Originally Posted By: Zedhed

I read that the EaO filter became more efficient the longer it was in use. Perhaps it is like this with all, and I just haven't read/learned that yet?

Media saturation is related to fuel enrichment events. The rest is for the stray random chunk. Media degradation will be related to moisture content combined with fuel.

The EaO is a 25k/1 year filter. PureOne's/M1's are surely capable of 15k+ ..but there's a time index that has to sensibly be applied to a daily driver.

Yes, filters do get better at filtering as they load. You have to also massage that into the sump's age too. If you're swapping out the sump soon enough, you're not going to load the filter nor accumulate any harmful particles that the filter misses.

It's not an easy concept to integrate ..or (obviously) explain effectively. You're going to form various curves between the sump and the filter in how they mature. These don't necessarily stay in sync with each other.

For example, someone will ask "Will a PureOne go 15k"? The answer needs to be followed by the question, "Are you driving in a manner that makes 15k on one filter sensible"? A PureOne won't be suitable for 15k if the service has daily 100% fuel enrichment where the filter should normally be changed out every 3 months with the oil. Very hard to get people out of the one dimensional mileage model.

I understand what I believe is the overall idea that you were explaining, at least enough to where it expanded my knowledge on the subject anyways! Thanks for another great explanation Gary!

On a newer fuel injected engine that has been taken care of (ie, regulator OCIs using good oil/filter), the oil filter takes much less abuse than if on a 200K beater mobile that uses recycled 98 cents/qt dino oil and gets an OCI every 3 years or 30K ... whichever happens first.
wink.gif

On a modern fuel injected engine, almost any oil filter will go 5K, and most will go 10K ~ 15K with no problems whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back