purolator pure one oil filter for motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a post somewhere that contained a link which stated that the purolator pure one oil filter was a really good filter for a motorcycle. What does everybody think and what kind of filter do you use on your motorcycle? I have read a few post in the car oil filter section that were not favorable on the pure one filter. I have a 98 Honda Shadow A.C.E. 750.

I've heard good things about Purolator and Wix.

I'm currently using Wix.

I will buy Purolator next time for one bike because it is a couple of bucks cheaper. But on another bike, the purolator is 4 or 5 dollars more.

Not sure about the Honda V twin engines, but some Gold Wing owners are using auto filters. I've used the Pure-One with no problems (pretty Blue color, too
tongue.gif
6607(Fram #, convert to purolator) or any filte listed for the 4 cylinder Accord(two sizes) will work on a Wing.

I have a 04 Yamaha YZF-R1 and a 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior and I use the Purolator PureOne PL14612 on both, also fits my 04 Maxima so it make filter shopping and inventory really easy. I have the utmost confidence in this piece and it looks nice with the blue metallic paint to boot. The R1 red lines at 13,600 RPM and is pushing a 5W-40 and I do this every chance I get!

I wouldn't have any reservation in using a Purolator Pure One on my Goldwing, as long as I knew the specs for the filter *met* those of the engine. I don't want to use something that will "sorta fit", just because it may fit everything else in my garage.

I use Purolators, just not on the truck or the Goldwing.

That said, I use nothing on my Wing but the OE Honda oil filter, especially since I can get them everyday for $6.95 each...not $14.00 each like my dealer charges.

I've used PPO on motorcycles for many years. However, I swithed to Wix due to it's theoretically superior overpressure relief valve setup.

Just checked.
VT 750 uses the same filters as the 1500 Gold Wing.
That means the 6607 (Fram #system) or either filter listed for the Honda Accord auto will fit you bike(Ph 3593/7317).
Wix and Hastings are black already, if the color is important.
Fram Tough Guard is gray,
Purolator is white, Pure One is a nice blue.
AAP is red, AC is blue.
Bosch is black too, IIRC.
Auto filter for Hondas have a similar pressure rating and the auto filters generally have a larger media area than cycle filters do.

I use the PPO filters on both my Yammi FZ1 and Honda ST1300. Oil analysis on the ST1300 has been exceptionally good w/ PPO and 15w-40 Rotella. No reason to believe that the FZ1 would be any different. Ride more...Worry less!

Drew

I use them on my zx10 also. You can also you use the supertech filter that is about $2. I have used them before on other bikes.

I'm using a PL14610 on my Triumph Sprint ST. It x-refs to fit on alot of Japanese bikes as well, including an ST 1300 if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not aware of any problems with it.

You need to be careful to be sure you are meeting the manufactures specs for filtration level and bypass pressure. Some guys use wix for Harley's but I dont because they don't make a chrome cover..
grin.gif

I note that some posters mention Fram filters. There have been many who have tested and inspected the Fram products for both bikes and cars. The majority of those who have inspected Fram filters state that the quality is questionable due to the cardboard endcap design. I no longer use Fram filters for this reason. Also, there have been reports of Fram filter canisters blowing off the baseplate due to a poor crimp at the filter-baseplate seam.

Wix and Purolater products get good marks.

I like AMSOIL's new EaOM nanofiber motorcycle oil filters. I've had a few on my K1200LT and like them since they are warrantied for double the OEM mileage interval or 1 year. I change mine every 12,000 miles, so I use 2 or 3 a year. They come in black and chrome. You can read all about them and see if they make one for your bike at https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2235_rev6_06.pdf . I wish they made the air filters for my bike, but only for Harleys for now.

Use the Purolator Pure One PL14610 (the longer one) on my 2002 Kawasaki Ninja zx9r with zero problems. Use the Pure One PL24651 on my 06 Ford Fusion

For shorter intervals, the ST6607 or ST7317 from WM work well on many Japanese bikes and are painted black. The Bosch (different numbering system)are also painted black and about the same price as PPO. Lastly, (and when only on sale), the Mobil 1 Champs are also now black and the numbers are M108 (short) and M110(longer). The Wix are black, and are also good filters, but I had not seen them locally until o'Reiley's came to town last year. Their in-house oil filter brand is a black-painted Purolator, IIRC, possibly another option to consider.

You should be fine with the PPO as others here have experienced no problems- mid priced filter with cool blue metallic paint.

A riding buddy of mine uses PPO filters on his whole family fleet of cars-really believes in them. But on his bikes, former Nighthawk 750, and now ST1300, he likes the Mobil 1 M110 oil filter, for whatever reason. He used to use their oil, but switched to Amsoil and liked it better, but could not convince himself to spend $13-14 on their filters, even if they are the best around.

I think you are probably fine using the PPO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back