Purolator PL14610 with tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I just loaded up 3-4x P1 filters for all the cars I service with the AAP sale.

Oh well, I stick with a reasonable OCI with P1s. I'll just monitor them a little closer.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
And I just loaded up 3-4x P1 filters for all the cars I service with the AAP sale.

Oh well, I stick with a reasonable OCI with P1s. I'll just monitor them a little closer.

AAP will take returns. Go with Fram Ultra next 20-off-50 or 50-off-100 code.
I have seen weakened, not yet an open hole, pleats on some P1's in this area.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID

Pure1's seem to be less susceptible to this though I've seen a little of it here.

this is making me wanna change the oil in my explorer a couple hundred miles early so i can cut the filter apart and check it.

Last edited:
Not looking good for Purolator. Glad I've seen these pics before I needed to buy another filter because it looks like I'll be trying a Fram Tough Guard next time I make an oil purchase.

Changed some oil today and removed 2 purolators both L24651's

didn't find anything alarming other then i removed the one off my explorer with a filter pliers and i must have bent the outer shell enough that it bent the cartridge caps and broke the glue a bit tearing a pleat, other then that I think it was fine before i removed it.

the other one that I took off my parents Explorer was intact, no torn pleats found.

I also cut apart 2 Q-state filters that i took off my 92 f150 and brother's Mystique, just like the purolators they were intact no torn pleats, so i guess i still have faith in purolator at least in my applications.

I will continue to by motorcraft and the purolator/qstate filters, but i did pick up a couple of the new microgard filters that are now made by wix and will cut it open the next time it comes off.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Not looking good for Purolator.

I guess that's why I always use this:

baby-shampoo.gif

Oh wait, that's something else altogether.

I use the Purolator 14610(P1 or Classic) on my '04 Altima and have cut open almost every one since new. I have never seen rips in the media though, the most wear I have noticed is wavey pleats

The culprit, companies being cheap on number of pleats at the seam. That was the same issue with the e-core failures.

If they just added a pleat or two around the seam this would not be an issue.

Why are cartridge filters almost always evenly pleated?! (hint: cause we can see them). If they can get it right with cartridge filters there is NO excuse!

I gave champ labs a hard time with the e-cores, so I'm not going to tip toe around this. Purolator blew it (pun intended) by being cheap or because of lack of quality control.

Originally Posted By: webfors
The culprit, companies being cheap on number of pleats at the seam. That was the same issue with the e-core failures.

If they just added a pleat or two around the seam this would not be an issue.

Why are cartridge filters almost always evenly pleated?! (hint: cause we can see them). If they can get it right with cartridge filters there is NO excuse!

I gave champ labs a hard time with the e-cores, so I'm not going to tip toe around this. Purolator blew it (pun intended) by being cheap or because of lack of quality control.

Exactly ... and Purolator knows about this issue. It would be in their best interest to fix the problem.

UPDATE: I got a letter from purolator today and here's whats it says:

Dear MR. xxxxxx

We are in receipt of the above referenced spin-on oil filter recently returned to us with the complaint its media had a tear from both ends.

Physical inspection of the returned filter found it cut open when received. Further, inspection of the filter's element found one of the pleats torn near the top and bottom cap.

The filter has been forwarded to our Engineering department for evaluation and root cause analysis.

Due to the condition of the returned filter performance testing could not be conducted. We have ordered a replacement product and will send to you as soon as it arrives.

I laughed when I read the letter. Looks like I'll be getting more of these defective filter as a replacement. I guess they want us to send the defective filter un opened? I'm lost.

Last edited:
I think they were just confirming that it showed up as you sent it.

I, too, laughed when I read that part, but if you think about it it reads like their way of telling you "we got it with X and Y wrong with it, just making sure this is how you sent it"

Just wondering what specific response you were expecting? Yes, opening the can means it can't be performance tested, no surprise there. They say they've sent the filter with tears on for further evaluation from the engineering department. Seems reasonable considering they can't bench test the filter.

Lastly they are sending you a replacement filter(s). At this point that seems reasonable to me. Guess the only other thing they could do is give you a refund.

I'm not sure what else one would expect at this point.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Just wondering what specific response you were expecting? Yes, opening the can means it can't be performance tested, no surprise there. They say they've sent the filter with tears on for further evaluation from the engineering department. Seems reasonable considering they can't bench test the filter.

Lastly they are sending you a replacement filter(s). At this point that seems reasonable to me. Guess the only other thing they could do is give you a refund.

I'm not sure what else one would expect at this point.

Send him an OCOD?

Bench testing would have told Purolator nothing, and besides this is a catch-22 situation. You will never know the media is torn unless you cut it open or have Superman inspect it with his X-ray vision.

225px-Xray_vision.jpg

I changed the XJ's oil yesterday-the PL30001 had been on for 5K, no media tears-BUT-there was more space in the pleats near the seamed joint than I'd like to see. Wondering if the very cold winter combined with thick dino/conventional oil is the cause of this problem (Jeep had ML 5W30 full synthetic in it).

Bench testing may or may not have told Purolator anything about the condition of the filter. That said, again what would you have Purolator say that was different?

I think their response was reasonable considering what was given. Yes it's a catch 22, and nowhere did I say it shouldn't have been cut open. But what other response would have been more appropriate than accurately stating what they found to this point

And for comparison, the defective Fram Ultra posted in the linked thread didn't cut the filter open as requested. And what happened, the OP of that thread was never given an answer as to what caused the rattle/movement inside the can. What was he given? Free filters. But no answers.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2960602/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back