Purolator Louvers (lack of)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funflyer - That is one way to solve the tearing issue...
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I bought a bunch of Blue Mountain oil filters on clearance, made in Mexico. They look the same way. Those slots make me a little uhnervous, but you gotta realize the oil is passing through paper unless it's a Purolator then it's not all going thru the paper.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Stop buying Purolators. They can't be trusted anymore.

Yeah, they only invented the automotive oil filter in 1923.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Don't you get tired after a while having to justify all the Tearolator, Ripolators, and now Louvolavor, end cap popper failures?

One good thing is there is not many more routes of failure. They have done it all.

Another Purolator witch hunt......

Call Purolator and they will send you a shipping carton and you can send them back.

This answer seems to be satisfactory when other filters are shown to be defective.

Would you put a filter on your car with 75% of the center tube blocked off?

I think no matter what the brand name was on the can, if the louvers were totally closed off it would still get the same attention.

It's just that Purolator has had issues in the past, and one would think that by now they would have their act together. $1.97 oil filters made in China look to have better manufacturing quality than these do.

Yet, they still can't seem to figure out how to actually make them.
eek.gif

If the slits are barely torn open it seems that could be a source of ragged edge particles going into the clean side oil stream. Those would be steel. That wouldn't be the best. So the list of favorites gets smaller. They need real people inspecting these things, each and every one. There goes the savings of eliminating cleaning up and disposing of the little hole slugs by real people. I am down to Fram or Toyota. I like the Boss Hog, but they have louvers, probably made in the same factory.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

eek.gif

That's a little harsh Z. They did make good filters 5-6 years ago.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Xrs2zz

eek.gif

That's a little harsh Z. They did make good filters 5-6 years ago.
whistle.gif

Yeah, harsh but reality. If they made good filters 5-6 years ago, then the ones made today should be even better!
grin.gif

Another Purolator witch hunt......

Call Purolator and they will send you a shipping carton and you can send them back.

This answer seems to be satisfactory when other filters are shown to be defective.

Would you put a filter on your car with 75% of the center tube blocked off?

I think no matter what the brand name was on the can, if the louvers were totally closed off it would still get the same attention.

It's just that Purolator has had issues in the past, and one would think that by now they would have their act together. $1.97 oil filters made in China look to have better manufacturing quality than these do.

Exactly! and, with an attitude like SilverC6 has we might as well shut down this forum and rely on manufacturers to do the right thing...as if that's going to happen.

What bothers me is these three filters have the same born on date and only one is acceptable, assuming the media is in tact, and the other two are not acceptable. Here's Purolator's "Mission Statement" from their site. I guess a company can say anything they want today as long as nobody is actually inspecting their process. I would start by scrubbing their eyeballs from the back side!

"Work. Ethics. Purolator’s hardworking people are thorough, diligent and in constant
pursuit of new learning. And rest assured, NOTHING GETS BY US Nearly a century after inventing the oil filter, Purolator continues to manufacture to the high standards maintained by American workers in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Our people embody the ideals we’ve always stood for: Protection. Craftsmanship. Experience. And Trust.
You’ll find the filters they make protecting engines on every back road, main
street and highway in communities like yours around the country."

Nothing gets by us...apparently oil is included in this statement.

Last edited:
the boss seems to have the same design.. Fram orange can improved in the last year or two although i still would not use one i do like the ultras..

Im hoping Fram does not start using these louvers i will message Motorking and ask him if he knows if they are going in the louver direction. I hope not i think purolater is making the Motorcrafts with those louvers and maybe even the Wix filters will turn in that direction. I thought it was so it would slow the oil down a bit so they would not tear but there are tear reports already.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Purolater classics are low end filters like the orange Frams

The Classic appears to have the same center tube design as their new top of the line Boss.

Here's the new Boss
28uplbk.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: funflyer
Exactly! and, with an attitude like SilverC6 has we might as well shut down this forum ...

I think he must own some MANN+HUMMEL stock. If so, I suggest selling it on market opening on Monday.
grin.gif

"Nothing Gets By Us" is Purolator's trademark slogan these days. Hummm ...
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back