Purolator Louvers (lack of)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up three new L30005 Classics for the old Pontiac so I could run some tests and decided not to use them due to the louvers, or lack of louvers in two of them. All I can say is WOW!!! If these don't stop the rest of the Purolator fans among us from using them, I don't know what will.

All three of the new Classics I bought have the same date code. I'm not sure when these were made so hopefully Z-ohh-6 can help me out here.

In the first filter you can see the louvers are actually open for oil to flow. The louvers throughout this filter are all about the same size, top and bottom.
i35v2e.jpg

In the other two you can see the bumps where the louvers were not punched through at all. The bottom side of the louvers were just the same. I wish I could have taken a pic of that but, with both the inspection mirror and light in the filter there wasn't any way to get a clear picture. Anyway, one filter had about 75% of the louvers not open and the other about 50%.
2h2fvv5.jpg

2d0nk2e.jpg

And the date code
312wx2h.jpg

Last edited:
Date code = made Nov 2, 2015.

Wow, major manufacturing and QA failure on the louvers!

Like I've always said, if you buy a filter with louvers better look closely at them to ensure they are formed right and opened up a good amount.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No need to worry. Oil is under lots of pressure.

Yeah, and that 'lots of pressure' will just make the bypass valve open if the center tube can't flow much oil, which would cause a big delta-p across the filter.

funflyer - you should contact Purolator and see what they say about louvers not even punched out. They probably won't even respond based on their past 'concern' about their lousy product.

Turns out crazyoildude was right.
laugh.gif

Seriously that is absolutely appalling I hope the bypass works on those cause I'd bet there are a bunch of them out there. Ridiculous. Much like the torn filters those are not going to filter much either due to near constant bypass.

Shame on Purolator. As if the shenanigans of the last year or two were not enough.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Is the tube upside down in the last two filters? It looks like we are seeing the bottom of the louver rather than the open top.

I sure hope that is it otherwise I'd think there is a potential for engine damage.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Seriously that is absolutely appalling I hope the bypass works on those cause I'd bet there are a bunch of them out there. Ridiculous. Much like the torn filters those are not going to filter much either due to near constant bypass.

Maybe it's a new 'design' to prevent the media from tearing. Media can't tear if no oil flows through it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Maybe it's a new 'design' to prevent the media from tearing. Media can't tear if no oil flows through it.
laugh.gif

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't my first thought when they went from holes to (barely open) louvers. Wonder where all the Puro apologists went?

Is the tube upside down in the last two filters? It looks like we are seeing the bottom of the louver rather than the open top.

I sure hope that is it otherwise I'd think there is a potential for engine damage.

He said both the top and bottom louver punch outs were not there ... just a bump where a louver should be.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
In the other two you can see the bumps where the louvers were not punched through at all. The bottom side of the louvers were just the same.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

He said both the top and bottom louver punch outs were not there ... just a bump where a louver should be.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
In the other two you can see the bumps where the louvers were not punched through at all. The bottom side of the louvers were just the same.

ZeeOSix, to add to this, I just noticed the same thing in one of the new blue Purolator One filters. I kept looking at it closely just in case I was wrong, but unfortunately the majority (almost all) of the louvers were not open at all ... they were enclosed ... just bumps where the holes/louvers were supposed to be. I shook my head and thought about the customers who are going to buy filters like this not knowing anything is wrong with them.

Thanks KC,
Imagine that im right..LOL
Its a no brainer but at least the media should not tear if no oil can get to it HaHa.. When i brought this up in a few posts most everyone disagreed with me some posted diagrams and explained how a positive displacement oil pump would make it all good.. Bottom line if the louvers are like those in the picture it will be in bypass all the time, Hopefully!.. Why have a filter at all..

These filters should be the poster boy for filters to stay away from. The paint jobs on their new line is great and they may make good paper weights but nobody should use them on an engine... I think they are doing this with some of the Motorcraft filters also so be careful!

Another Purolator witch hunt......

Call Purolator and they will send you a shipping carton and you can send them back.

This answer seems to be satisfactory when other filters are shown to be defective.

Turns out crazyoildude was right.
laugh.gif

Shame on Purolator. As if the shenanigans of the last year or two were not enough.

Yeah, this is not good at all. If the bypass valve doesn't work on a filter like this, there could be the potential for engine damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back