Purolator Boss PBL14006 Cut Open

Good Day from Alaska! It's 34 degrees this fine Friday evening, so excuse the number of pictures.

I cut a PBL14006 that was on my 2006 L59 (flex-fuel) 5.3L Silverado. This filter was on all winter (5 months & 4160 miles) ... a very long, cold, and snowy winter.
Filter installation date: October 30th, 2021 @ 196,500 miles.
Filter removal date: March 30th, 2022 @ 200,660 miles.

Outside of superficial semi-circular cuts in the thickest part of the silicone anti-drain back valve -- which didn't affect its performance -- this filter did its job in the worst that Alaska had to throw at it.

Here the are pictures:

IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG

The filter employed a leaf spring. It's covered in oil inside the middle right picture.

I really like the thick base and canister.

Verdict: It performed. I'd buy this filter again if it was on sale and near the price of a Fram Ultra. :)

Note: The torn media of the previous filter, a Baldwin B31, was a wholly different story. It was a disaster!

Last edited:
Tks, I've used the Puro Boss several times. Reliable filter. Think I went through Palmer a few years ago on the way up to Denali. Beautiful country, breathtaking really. I'd like to go back and spend more time up there but it gets so cold. Old bones don't tolerate that much anymore.

Thanks, Passport1. Yeah ... I've left Alaska for the Lower-48 twice now, and kept coming back. I'm not going back at this point -- there's very little for me down there anymore.

Speaking... two days ago, my son took the following picture 9 miles southeast of our house. He flew his drone over both Jim and Gull Lakes to get this video shot. Notice the Trumpeter swans and ducks. The Trumpeter is the largest swan in North America. Without a doubt, they are magnificent, to include Pioneer Peak in the Chugach Mtns (background). :)

Swans and Ducks.jpg

The weather is harsh here... some of the harshest in North America. It's really hard on vehicles. ;)

Good Day from Alaska! It's 34 degrees this fine Friday evening, so excuse the number of pictures.

I cut a PBL14006 that was on my 2006 L59 (flex-fuel) 5.3L Silverado. This filter was on all winter (5 months & 4160 miles) ... a very long, cold, and snowy winter.
Filter installation date: October 30th, 2021 @ 196,500 miles.
Filter removal date: March 30th, 2022 @ 200,660 miles.

Outside of superficial semi-circular cuts in the thickest part of the silicone anti-drain back valve -- which didn't affect its performance -- this filter did its job in the worst that Alaska had to throw at it.

Here the are pictures:

View attachment 95673 View attachment 95674
View attachment 95676View attachment 95675
View attachment 95677View attachment 95678

The filter employed a leaf spring. It's covered in oil inside the middle right picture.

I really like the thick base and canister.

Verdict: It performed. I'd buy this filter again if it was on sale and near the price of a Fram Ultra. :)

Note: The torn media of the previous filter, a Baldwin B31, was a wholly different story. It was a disaster!
Looks rock solid. What's the efficiency rating on those?

At the bottom of their webpage:

1649532383817.png

And here's some independent ISO 4548-12 test data comparison including the Boss.

Please see ZeeOSix's mentions just above.

The Purolator Boss' filtering is adequate, but is not nearly as efficient as everybody's darling (mine, too), the Fram Ultra.

Essentially, the Boss is efficient at filtering 25 to 30-micron particle sizes and larger.

Removing particle sizes smaller than 25 to 30-microns are where Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Amsoil, and ACDelco Ultraguard filters shine. This is a significant point!

OTOH, the Boss filter's general construction and heavy-duty nature are where it shines. From what I've seen and now observed first hand, this filter is built like the proverbial "brick outhouse." I cannot imagine this filter failing under most circumstances, which includes most engine pressures, especially those found in an extreme cold (Alaska) environment.

Last edited:
OTOH, the Boss filter's general construction and heavy-duty nature are where it shines. From what I've seen and now observed first hand, this filter is built like the proverbial "brick outhouse." I cannot imagine this filter failing under most circumstances, which includes most engine pressures, especially those found in an extreme cold (Alaska) environment.
Could you imagine how popular the Boss (or even the WIX XP) would be if they could get the efficiency close to or as good as the Ultra? ... at least to the people who care about efficiency and want tank like construction. I'd be jumping on it for sure if that was the case, especially since the Ultra media is no longer wire-backed.

Could you imagine how popular the Boss (or even the WIX XP) would be if they could get the efficiency close to or as good as the Ultra? ... at least to the people who care about efficiency and want tank like construction. I'd be jumping on it for sure if that was the case, especially since the Ultra media is no longer wire-backed.
Got that right!

Royal Purple and Amsoil are the closest to meeting that criteria, both are built to racing spec.

Royal Purple and Amsoil are the closest to meeting that criteria, both are built to racing spec.
True ... and I've found the RP models that fit my stuff, so I may be switching over (jury still out on the new Ultra changes) when I need to buy new filters.

True ... and I've found the RP models that fit my stuff, so I may be switching over (jury still out on the new Ultra changes) when I need to buy new filters.
Yes. The jury is still out...

Thankfully, I have 5 or 6 old-style Fram Ultra filters for my pickup, to include one Wix.

These should hold me until GM or Ford start making trucks in any quantity again, and I purchase a new one. :rolleyes: :)

If the Boss had the RP, Amsoil, or Donaldson synthetic media, it would be as good at filtering as those are. I would feel a little better about the Purolator/Mann filters if they could ever learn how to deburr a baseplate, though, it’s been an annoying ongoing issue!

I've never ran the Purolator boss yet, then went to go purchase one, and they can't be had for my vehicle.. supposedly the parts are on back order. 🤷🏻‍♂️ According to Purolator. I've been running Motorcraft and Wix.

Thanks for posting that, I do have some Boss filters in stock just haven't used them yet but typically use the PF46, PF46E, their Pure One filters or the standard ones but on my 2004 GMC w/ 5.3 LM7 I'm currently using a Fram Ultra.

Back