purolator air filter - CHINA !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a Purolator air filter ( A35397 ) for my 2004 Civic at Advance Auto. First off, they had a Fram filter catalogue, but only Purolator filters. So I had to go to the counter to get the part #. Then they didn't have any on the shelf. So the counter guy had to go in the back to get it. I got home. Opened the box. And saw "made in China" printed on it. I never would have bought it had I seen this. The Fram I had in for 16,000 miles looked to be better made ( Glueing, pleat spacing ). As well as being made in Canada. the receipt says 30 day replacement if defective. You can bet I'm going to check in 29 days to make sure that glueing is holding. I'm also going to email Purolator to tell them I will not be buying their "made in China" junk.

Last edited:
I can't understand why, after a 20-year manufacturing exodus from the US, that anyone is "aghast" they find sundry products sold here are made in China.

I wouldn't waste electrons e-mailing Purolator. If they don't off-shore their manufacturing, the competition will, and undercut the price driving Purolator out of business. Either way, US manufacturing is lost for Purolator.

Yep, most companies now make it in China or Mexico cause it way cheaper and the quality is the same.

I really don't blame any company in the USA for wanting to outsource their air / oil filters to another country.

I use Purolator oil filters. The ones I buy are made in the U.S. If I have a choice, I will buy U.S. or Canada, before I buy anything from China. I know this is not always possible, since our Gov. has allowed the destruction of our manufacturing in the name of "free trade", and "global economy".
And the Purolator filter appears to be of poorer quality than the Fram I took out. the gasket around the edge was a lousy fit too.

Last edited:
has anyone every played monopoly? if you keep sending more money and jobs out than you take in, you lose in the long run. oh, that's happening now!

"can't remainin competitive without outsourcing" is not true. for instance, the Asian auto makers build products here and very successfully. many of us prefer to purchase products made here. if everyone saw the bigger picture, unemployment would not be at the high levels that it is.

There were many complaints about quality of Purolator air filters and many praises for Fram air filters.

I would keep the used Fram air filter, after tap it lightly on hard surface to remove some dirt/dusts/sands/bugs, so that you can reuse it if necessary (after return the defective Purolator air filter)

Kender,
Why discriminate against products made in China? If you are a true patriot, then you shouldn't buy anything made in Cananda either. Do you realize lots of American brand cars are made in Cananda and Mexico, not here in the US. So do you buy these cars? Also, if you boycott Chinese products, then what happen Chinese consumers begin to boycott American products? Such as GM and Ford cars. GM sold more cars in China then the US this year. How would a boycott in China of American products do to the US economy? If you truely love America, then only buy products made in the US, not Cananda not Mexico and not China. I would tell a Chinese person the same thing, if they love China, don't buy American or Japanese products. At the end of this century you will see which country is the true super power on Earth.

Because I believe that chinese made products are inferior to those made in the U.S., or Canada. Especially auto parts. And kids toys......lead paint, cadmium !?!? Give me a break. BTW, my Honda Civic was made/assembled in Canada. China is a communist country. Canada is not. China uses prison/child labor. Canada does not. China will someday challenge us militarily. Canada will not. I don't think my e-mailing Purolator will change anything. But it will make me feel better. My Dad worked for shoe companies from the early 60's through the mid 80's. How many shoes are made here now? How many American jobs were lost just in that industry alone? And we wonder why we have 10% unemployment !!!
I work for a company that still makes something in this country. I'm sure it will go to China soon enough. But, as long as GM is selling cars there that's OK !!!

Also, I doubt I'll be here at the end of this century to see which country is the true superpower. LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsw
Kender,
Why discriminate against products made in China? If you are a true patriot, then you shouldn't buy anything made in Cananda either. Do you realize lots of American brand cars are made in Cananda and Mexico, not here in the US. So do you buy these cars? Also, if you boycott Chinese products, then what happen Chinese consumers begin to boycott American products? Such as GM and Ford cars. GM sold more cars in China then the US this year. How would a boycott in China of American products do to the US economy? If you truely love America, then only buy products made in the US, not Cananda not Mexico and not China. I would tell a Chinese person the same thing, if they love China, don't buy American or Japanese products. At the end of this century you will see which country is the true super power on Earth.

BTW, It's Canada, not "Cananda" .

Quote:
since our Gov. has allowed the destruction of our manufacturing in the name of "free trade", and "global economy".

Don't forget all the greedy unions forcing manufacturing outside of the USA.

BTW, if any person from our government says that Unemployment is only 10%, they are smoking crack and drinking Kool-Aid from the guy who promised change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since this thread has gotten away from discussing AIR FILTERS (like the Purolator in the subject) I guess its time to lock it up.
smirk2.gif

Any comments, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back