Purolator 30001 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took off our 2.7L Stratus, 3471 miles and 6 months of use. Kendall GT 5w30 syn blend for oil.

Picture008.jpg

Picture026.jpg

The media was nice and firm. A little wavy but no holes or cuts. Note the lack of the classic Purolator string.
Picture013.jpg

Worst wavy part.
Picture020.jpg

Picture002.jpg

I think it's caused by moisture. The media is appears to be lengthening. I wonder if this might cause the media pores to open or lengthen too and lower efficiency some?

I did a lot of short trips in it this winter. 10 minute warm up then 9 miles to work. I usually don't drive it much in the winter but this past winter has been very mild.

Both Champion and Baldwin claim it is moisture that causes the waves. Water swells paper. May want to get a UOA and see if you have a coolant problem. It could be condensation from your short trips.

Note, the strings disappeared soon after Bosch bought Purolator a few years ago. That is why I dis ''studies'' that have pictures of Purolators with strings on them. The oblong inlet holes are long gone too.

Look at all that lovely pleating.

**What is that on the bottom of the can? A little piece of sludge?

Originally Posted By: labman
The oblong inlet holes are long gone too.

Some Purolators still have oblong inlet holes in the base. 14610 does for instance.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Look at all that lovely pleating.

**What is that on the bottom of the can? A little piece of sludge?

I punch a hole on the bottom of my filters to drain the oil. Much less mess.

Did you do a UOA on this engine yet? One of the theories surrounding the 2.7 is that coolant leaks into the block from the timing chain driven water pump causing sludge. Maybe this explains that wavy media.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think it's caused by moisture. The media is appears to be lengthening. I wonder if this might cause the media pores to open or lengthen too and lower efficiency some?

Probably the other way as it is the fibers that swell. Tighter pores.

Aside from the waves the filter looks pretty good to me. No rips, it would be interesting to see how driving under ideal conditions would have effected it.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Probably the other way as it is the fibers that swell. Tighter pores.

I would still think bigger fibers would mean bigger pores, and a contracting media would mean smaller pores. I would think the size change of both would move together otherwise the media length wouldn't be changing much.

Oh, my head aches. As fibers swell and become fatter, it would reduce pore size. As they lengthen, the pores would become larger. Perhaps a draw.

Yeah I could see it going either way. I have seen air filters seem to become more restrictive after being soaked in liquid. I don't know if it was the liquid or the pores closed up.

Quote:
Note, a few years the strings disappeared soon after Bosch bought Purolator ago. That is why I dis ''studies'' that have pictures of Purolators with strings on them. The oblong inlet holes are long gone too.
Perhaps you should stop "dis"sing the studies long enough to get your facts straight. Though you've posted this erroneous information before, and I corrected it previously, it appears again. So this time I will post a pic to prove that both Purolator and Bosch use the assembly string in some cases. The pics show recently cut open P1 and Bosch DP from this recent thread. Not sure what the point is other than to dis the dissections, as it is a minor construction point. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1813977&page=1

I suppose if it's posted long enough it may eventually be true.
56.gif

100_3162.jpg

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: labman
The oblong inlet holes are long gone too.

Some Purolators still have oblong inlet holes in the base. 14610 does for instance.

As do the Motorcraft FL-820S filters I just bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back