Pureones efficiency@10um?5um?

As title says...what would be the efficiency of a pure one oil filter, 5um..10um? I use a pl10111. 99%@20um. But going down?
I read here, Napa golds 99%@20um, filtered down too 50%@6um.but the old Napa golds.from way back now.
Pure ones same?better?

Anyone's guess, I'd try contacting Purolator to see if they have data at below 20μ.

WIX and NAPA Golds are 95% @ 20μ, so PureOne is probably better at all particle sizes.

The only "efficiency" that matters is the actual oil contamination in your oil pan. So far I haven't seen any real winners except the Frantz bypass filter.

You can contact Purolator to see if they have data, and it'll be probably be inaccurate. Recent ISO 4548-12 testing on a Purolator Boss filter showed efficiency well short of what they advertise so take any advertised rating with a grain of salt.

In the end, it's a Purolator. It doesn't matter how efficient it is if the media won't stay together.

Last edited:
Wait, it only matters with a bypass filter? Why not with a spin-on or a cartridge? Don’t they both reduce contamination in the oil pan?
“So far I haven't seen any real winners except the Frantz bypass filter.” It’s in your quote of my post.

The
You can contact Purolator to see if they have data, and it'll be probably be inaccurate. Recent ISO 4548-12 testing on a Purolator Boss filter showed efficiency well short of what they advertise so take any advertised rating with a grain of salt.

In the end, it's a Purolator. It doesn't matter how efficient it is if the media won't stay together.
Ascent test was on one filter. His first testing try also I believe. I guarantee you Purolator, Mann, has far more expertise and funding to do their tests, just like Fram does. It’s interesting to see people put Ascents test over Fram or anyone else. Makes no sense to me. I would never believe published Fram or Purolator test data takes second place to Ascents test. He even made precaution statements, but that is not taken into account.

Ascent test was on one filter. His first testing try also I believe. I guarantee you Purolator, Mann, has far more expertise and funding to do their tests, just like Fram does. It’s interesting to see people put Ascents test over Fram or anyone else. Makes no sense to me. I would never believe published Fram or Purolator test data takes second place to Ascents test. He even made precaution statements, but that is not taken into account.
In fairness we never see actual run data from any of these companies.
Just blanket statements on efficiency across an entire filter model based on limited testing of 1,2, or 3 filter sizes.
There are certainly variables which could make Ascent's testing yield slightly different results, but if consistent across the filter brands tested it should still show relative performance.

Its embarrassing that Purolator sells the Boss filter even with the efficiency they report. So, Ascents testing just confirmed its garbage if you care about efficiency.

Back to the PureOne, nobody knows, i'm not sure Purolator has stated anything in the past. You're best bet is to ask them directly.

Last edited:
I did some digging and found an old thread where Purolator (when they actually responded to people) gave the following beta/efficiency info on the PureOne, but this was like 12 years ago.

MICRON SIZE -- 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40
PureOne Efficiency -- 51.3%, 92.8%, 99.20%, 99.9%, 100%, 100%, 100%

So basically 51% @ 5u, 93 at 10u ... etc.

Also, here is a snip-it from an email with a Purolator engineer where he says 50% @ 5u.

If the current PureOne is still that efficient, only Purolator could tell you ... but my guess is these days you will not get a direct response like years ago.

1644266255301.png

Last edited:
The Ascent test was on one filter. His first testing try also I believe. I guarantee you Purolator, Mann, has far more expertise and funding to do their tests, just like Fram does. It’s interesting to see people put Ascents test over Fram or anyone else. Makes no sense to me. I would never believe published Fram or Purolator test data takes second place to Ascents test. He even made precaution statements, but that is not taken into account.
So you're claiming Andrew didn't know what he was doing? His lab is ISO certified. If you actually paid attention to the data in his testing, you'd see that Fram's claims and his data pretty much coincide. If he would have measured down to 5u the Ultra looks like it would have made the 80% @ 5u claim from Motorking. As discussed many times, if the ISO test is ran in 10 different labs by 10 different people there is probably going to be some slight differences, but you will not see a huge disparity between the test results. And so you think the one filter he tested was some unicorn that happened to be better than any filter Fram ever tested themselves? 😄

The only "efficiency" that matters is the actual oil contamination in your oil pan. So far I haven't seen any real winners except the Frantz bypass filter.
Oil in the pan doesn't lubricate anything. Oil pumped through the filter provides the lubrication. You could fill the pan with a bunch of marbles and it wouldn't make any difference.

As title says...what would be the efficiency of a pure one oil filter, 5um..10um? I use a pl10111. 99%@20um. But going down?
I read here, Napa golds 99%@20um, filtered down too 50%@6um.but the old Napa golds.from way back now.
Pure ones same?better?
The best a current wix/napa gold is at 10um is 50-60%. A fram ultra is 74% @10um, the old fram ultra was supposedly around 94% @10um.

I did some digging and found an old thread where Purolator (when they actually responded to people) gave the following beta/efficiency info on the PureOne, but this was like 12 years ago.

MICRON SIZE -- 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40
PureOne Efficiency -- 51.3%, 92.8%, 99.20%, 99.9%, 100%, 100%, 100%

So basically 51% @ 5u, 93 at 10u ... etc.

Also, here is a snip-it from an email with a Purolator engineer where he says 50% @ 5u.

If the current PureOne is still that efficient, only Purolator could tell you ... but my guess is these days you will not get a direct response like years ago.

View attachment 88013
Zeeosix,thanks! I was bored n looking through threads,and found the old micron efficiency.but,you went all out man!

How about then,the efficiency of frame ultra? At 5um?10um?ect?
Basically pure one vs ultra micron efficiency....5um,10um,15/20 um...

How about then,the efficiency of frame ultra? At 5um?10um?ect?
Basically pure one vs ultra micron efficiency....5um,10um,15/20 um...
Well, Motorking (who worked for Fram) said the Ultra (the full synthetic version anyway) was 80% @ 5u. In this thread (link below), the full synthetic Ultra was 99.9% @ 20u and 99.8% @ 15u ... close to the PureOne data in post #10 at 15u and 20u. The Ultra might be better at 5u ... but IMO you're basically into hair splitting territory at that point. Using either the Ultra or PureOne is going to give you about the most efficiency you can get in a passenger car spin-on oil filter.

1644286528386.png

The best a current wix/napa gold is at 10um is 50-60%. A fram ultra is 74% @10um, the old fram ultra was supposedly around 94% @10um.

When Fram put out the filtration efficiency figures comparing the new Ultra media versus the previous wire backed Ultra media they stated that the wire backed media was 70% @ 10 microns.

FWIW Royal Purple claims 80% @ 10 microns.

When Fram put out the filtration efficiency figures comparing the new Ultra media versus the previous wire backed Ultra media they stated that the wire backed media was 70% @ 10 microns.
As mentioned before, the filter size (total media area) can have an effect on the ISO efficiency. That's why most filter makers reference their largest filter(s) as the test reference model.

Back