Pureolator PureONE Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of you gearheads probably already know this, but for the few (like me) who don't, I just got this from Purolator concerning their PureONE oil filters filtering efficiencies:

25 microns - 100%
20 microns - 99.9%
15 microns - 99.20%
10 microns - 92.8%
5 microns - 51.3%

Their email does not state. I'll ask them. While waiting for a response, their site says "ISO 4548-12," whatever that means.

Last edited:
PureONEs are very efficient filters ... probably one of the best mass produced filters available.

Ask them for flow vs. pressure drop data on the PureONE and see what they say.

That's the same test standard that Amsoil uses for the EaO

ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns That's Beta15=75

By their email:

25 microns - 100% (beta25= ?)
20 microns - 99.9% (beta20=1000)
15 microns - 99.20% (beta15=125)
10 microns - 92.8% (beta10=14)
5 microns - 51.3% (beta5=2.055)

That looks like a hydraulic filter spec. There you tend to have specific particle sizes ..and subsequent/resultant beta ratios. Automotive filters usually have standard beta ratios and oddball subsequent/resultant particle sizes.

2/20/75/200/1000 are typical beta ratios.
50/95/98.7/99.5/99.9

Interesting.

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the TBN for the 5W30 is 8 and the 5W40 is 8.4.We don't regularly run the ASTM D-4172B 4 ball wear test procedure on our products, it is a gear oil test and not a representative motor oil test. The results can be misleading as they can be influenced by the use of additives soon depleted in engine operation. I have attached a comparison we performed when the Series 2000 was initially released.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Just got this in. I know it really belongs on the motor oil site, but it is part of their responses to my original questions.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

By their email:

That looks like a hydraulic filter spec. There you tend to have specific particle sizes ..and subsequent/resultant beta ratios. Automotive filters usually have standard beta ratios and oddball subsequent/resultant particle sizes.

50/95/98.7/99.5/99.9

Interesting.

All I know is I asked them for their stats for their PureONE auto filter and that is what they gave me.

Sorry I haven't been on here in a long time as after reading around for a long time I decided I was content on using Mobil 1 oil and Toyota/Denso OEM filters with our 4runner and GS400. As an added bonus they both used the exact same filter model.

However I now have an 09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L ecotec 4-cyl and I've found that there are a lot of filter brands and models that are just flat-out not available for this engine. I used to be a fan of Mobil 1 filters when I wasn't using the OEM Denso filters, but I've found that Mobil 1 does appear to make a filter for my Ecotec Aura.

So after searching around on autozone.com , advanceautoparts.com , and Napa's website I came across Purolator PureONE filters which seem to be about the most 'premium' filter made for my car. So I decided to come to BITOG to ask around and well look what I found on the top of the very first page.

So is this a good way to go for ~7500 mile oil change intervals? A Purolator PureONE and Mobil 1 synthetic oil? Is this filter [censored] compared to the Mobil 1 filters or is it close enough in quality to just not worry about it?

As best as I can tell so far, in my checking around, Mobile 1 "beats" the PureONE in two ways: 1) the outer can of the Mobile 1 FAR exceeds anyones needs in burst strength (for street use, not professional racing), and 2) their price $10.99 vs $5.49 at PepBoys. Oh, and their advertising budget! Maybe this is why Mobile 1 is so expensive - to fund their ads.

Originally Posted By: Shamus
As best as I can tell so far, in my checking around, Mobile 1 "beats" the PureONE in two ways: 1) the outer can of the Mobile 1 FAR exceeds anyones needs in burst strength (for street use, not professional racing), and 2) their price $10.99 vs $5.49 at PepBoys. Oh, and their advertising budget! Maybe this is why Mobile 1 is so expensive - to fund their ads.

PureONEs in my area are about $6. How's a Mobil 1 beat the PureONE in price like you've said in item 2)? From what I've seen, the Mobil 1 is more expensive than the PureONE.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
PureONEs in my area are about $6. How's a Mobil 1 beat the PureONE in price like you've said in item 2)? From what I've seen, the Mobil 1 is more expensive than the PureONE.
whistle.gif

+1. All day long. M1 usually close to twice the price. And if you go to the promo board, Amazon has Pure One even less expensive. Or you can by 4 get 10 bucks off at AAP with coupin+ $4 rebate.

I'd have no issues running a 10k Synthetic/Pure One combo. But I'm not easily impressed by having to pay more for the M1 name. Never worried much about burst test, but I don't run WOT. That plus I happen to like the Pure One for value, and 99% filtration quality. JMO.

That's why I put the word beat in quotation marks. They "beat" the PureONE in price by getting people to believe more money = better item. If I was in business I too would follow P.T. Barnum's line: "There's a sucker born every minute!" I am convinced that Mobile 1 is number one (at least in synthetics) not because their products are better than anyone else's (they're not) - but because of their advertising (NASCAR, NHRA, car mags, etc.)

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

By their email:

50/95/98.7/99.5/99.9

Interesting.

All I know is I asked them for their stats for their PureONE auto filter and that is what they gave me.

I'm not arguing with you
55.gif
..I'm just saying that it's not something I usually see with automotive filters. This could surely be how Purolator does things.

No, I didn't take anything as an arguement. It's just all I had/have to offer about this. And, I have no clue what "beta ratios" are, how they relate to an oil filter's efficiency, etc.

Okay...

Beta= beta -1/beta

Beta2=5 would be 2-1 /2 ..or 1/2 ..or 50% of 5um particles and greater being captured.

Beta20=15 would be 19/20 . or 95% of 15um particles or greater being filtered.

Beta75=50 ..would be 74/75 ...98.67% of 50um and greater particles being filtered.

PureOne is a good value for the money, imo. Good filtration ..out to around 15k for those who qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back