Pure One PL10241 Cut Open – Pics with torn media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Pure One that has four tears in the media, both sides of the metal crimp strip and at each end. This filter was used for a 5,400 mi OCI on a 2004 Toyota Tundra, 4.7L V-8 with 95,000 miles. The oil was PYB 5W-30, I did not see any issues with the oil pressure (or any other problems) while this was installed. The installation date was November 2013, and if I understand the manufacturing code correctly, the filter was manufactured on January 11, 2013.

I have been using P1’s on three vehicles for several years with no issues, only using Honda (Honeywell) filters on the 2012 Civic since it is still under warranty (not required but my preference). Up to this point I have not been really concerned about the torn media problem, thinking that statistically the odds of having a problem to be minimal. However, after seeing this first hand I will not be using any Purolator filters until this problem is resolved. This one was replaced with a Wix 51516 (oversized), and I will be replacing all my P1’s with either a Fram Ultra or a Wix.

Over the past 8 years I have cut open 15 or 20 filters, both OEM and aftermarket, including Generac and Kawasaki branded filters used on OPE small engines. Until now, I have never seen any defects that caused concern. In the next few weeks I will be removing and cutting open the P1’s on my Camry and Pilot and will post my findings.

Ignore the dent in the side of the can, this was caused by the filter wrench when I removed it.

PL10241_01_zps8d787871.jpg

PL10241_02_zps0bcfe403.jpg

PL10241_03_zps5a45226d.jpg

PL10241_04_zps75497b18.jpg

PL10241_05_zpsd93c782d.jpg

PL10241_06_zps094006de.jpg

PL10241_07_zpsb09b5e29.jpg

PL10241_08_zps5444ce83.jpg

PL10241_09_zps6db1d43c.jpg

PL10241_10_zpsf4aff161.jpg

PL10241_11_zps70d0e7fa.jpg

PL10241_12_zps2c53cfd0.jpg

PL10241_13_zps472abd18.jpg

Wilhelm_D will be along any minute now to explain to us that this is a defect and not a failure and therefore not a legitimate problem; that torn media doesn't really affect a filter's function anyway; that he would use this filter without hesitation; and that everyone here is being unreasonably critical to even look for tears in Purolators. You have been warned.

V shaped pleat the culprit again.

Single wall in the V pleat is stiffer yet not as strong as the other double walled pleats. When it gets pressure, it tears at the stiffest point, near the glue.

The V pleat has more oil flow due to being single walled. The double walled pleats stand up to oil pressure better and go wavy.

OP, I just noticed that you have been registered here for 3 years and this is your first post. You sure made it a great one. Nice job on the pics and write up.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
OP, I just noticed that you have been registered here for 3 years and this is your first post. You sure made it a great one. Nice job on the pics and write up.

Guess he wanted to make the first post count.
grin.gif

Yes, another one that the Gremlin tearing team chose to put on a BITOG member's car.

Oh, great, PureOne's as well.

Got 3 left for the Wife's Camry, everything else is changed over to NAPA Gold & M1 EP's...

No more Purolators, no way.

I wonder if the bigger oversized filters are less prone to tearing. I use the PL20195 as an upsize on my Tacoma. You would expect a little less stress on the media and less delta p across the media because of more surface.

I have a stash that is several years old so I am most likely pre-problem, but I do look at anything to minimize opportunity for failure.

Blowout at both ends. Uggg.

F01E11D1

So that is January 11th 2014?

Does this filter blow apart the Purolator "response" email? Don't use old stockpiled filter, the "new" builds are better.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

F01E11D1

So that is January 11th 2014?

It's actually Jan 11, 2013.

Letter A = 2009
Letter E = 2013

Originally Posted By: svhanc
I wonder if the bigger oversized filters are less prone to tearing. I use the PL20195 as an upsize on my Tacoma. You would expect a little less stress on the media and less delta p across the media because of more surface.

A bigger filter with more media area used on the same engine will result in less delta-p across the media compared to a smaller filter of same media composition with less surface area.

PL20195s don't seem to be in the risk group for media tears. They also have a glued seam, which seems to be a factor in the tearing filters. I use PL20195s on my Tacoma also, and never seen any media tearing when they are cut open.

Ahhh, ok. I am a year off.

Then, if this was an issue, wouldn't that mean that in 2013 that the tears would come across purolators desk.

Last edited:

Then, if this was an issue, wouldn't that mean that in 2013 that the tears would come across purolators desk.

Not sure what you mean, but realize a lot of people buy oil filters and don't use them for awhile, then the filter is on the car for awhile. So you might be seeing filters being cut open now with manufacturing date codes that or 1 or 2 years old.

Originally Posted By: svhanc

I have a stash that is several years old so I am most likely pre-problem, but I do look at anything to minimize opportunity for failure.

Pull that filter off and cut it open for us! You have a stash, so just toss a new one on without changing the oil. More data for BITOG and yourself!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Not sure what you mean, but realize a lot of people buy oil filters and don't use them for awhile, then the filter is on the car for awhile. So you might be seeing filters being cut open now with manufacturing date codes that or 1 or 2 years old.

Oh, I know folks have filters "stockpiled"... I am one of them. A year-old filter is hardly stockpiling.

My point was that we have a early 2013 made filter (I want to say other tearing filters were clustered around April-Aug 2013). So, if this was coming from a flawed design or a bad batch, there would be the potential of some people getting the Jan13 made filter, installing it around, May, using it for 3 months (Aug-Sept) for removal and reporting. The idea that the issue might not have been "surfacing" for purolator in 2013 is kinda lost then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back