Pure One Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes use pure one oil filters in the summer months but am afraid to use them in the winter.. I cut new filters open from time to time and noticed the pure ones media is so close together i am worried the oil when thick can't get through and the bypass valve opens and don't filter the oil until warm.. With all that media so tightly together im pretty sure it must filter ok but what about oil flow??
I tried to post this in the oil filter section but could not get it to post there..

I run them year round in my 08 Jeep without any issues. For the money they're one of the best filters out there. I've used them in my Aerostar, and E-150 as well, never a problem.

Have you quantified the actual pressure drop across this filter vs. another with some oil? Perhaps put both onto a vehicle with a real pressure gauge and cold oil, and see if there is a noticable difference?

A more efficient media may filter better while still allowing more flow. Higher surface area equals more holding capacity, so there is the potential for lower pressure drop over the lifecycle.

Lots of elements (pardon the pun) to the question...

I've used PureOne's in well below freezing temps with no problems to report. Excellent UOA's
thumbsup2.gif

The one issue I have with Puro filters and maybe it doesn't matter one bit, is that you can press them in with your fingers a bit, unlike (for instance) Delco filters.

Originally Posted By: TWINRAY
The one issue I have with Puro filters and maybe it doesn't matter one bit, is that you can press them in with your fingers a bit, unlike (for instance) Delco filters.

Not the Pur-Ones. They have a much stouter shell.

No oil filter can filter cold oil. The oil is just too thick and will damage any filter that it has to flow through.

Originally Posted By: Big Jim
Originally Posted By: TWINRAY

Not the Pur-Ones. They have a much stouter shell.

The PureONE's I've got are still flimsy feeling compared to the Mobil 1 filter.

The Mobil 1 filters are heavy and built like a tank. They are very well made filters.

Pure one filters have been some of my personally favorites for years. Recently I have been buying cartridge filters for my wifes Mazda5 and I have noticed that the pureone filters that are made in the U.S. have allot of defects and compared to a premium plus I found that was made in Thailand not nearly the same quality even though the pureone costs considerably more. I've found unglued seams and poorly glued seams on a number of pureone filters with glue all over the filter media. This problem was not present on the thai premium plus but the media also appears more substantial.

If you are so inclined check and compare L15505 and PL15505. All "should" be made in the U.S. but if you find a none U.S. filter it appears to be built better. I have the Premuim plus and a decent pureone at home. I could literally stop today on the way home and pick up 1 or 2 shoty cartridge filters.

I've used Purolators of both regular and Pure Ones with no problems in either case. A good filter. I once asked W-Mart why they don't stock decent filters like above mentioned, and never got a straight answer except that the manufacturer leases the shelf space from Walmart.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
I once asked W-Mart why they don't stock decent filters like above mentioned, and never got a straight answer except that the manufacturer leases the shelf space from Walmart.
21.gif

Probably because the average consumer thinks the "orange can of death" is the best filter.
We have a local midwest chain farm supply store called Orscheln. They used to stock Purolater filters and I was happy to purchase them. But now it's nothing more than an isle of orange, even if they can't touch the prices at Wal-Mart. I guess a store will only stock what sells.

When I want to spend a little extra on something that is worth it, I don't go to Wal-Mart. Yes, in my youthful folly I did buy Frams there thinking I was getting a good deal.

Now, what I hope to find there is decent stuff at a reasonable price. I buy a lot there, YB Pennzoil, ST filters, Iams dog food, Equate OTC medications, wine, printer cartridges and ink, etc.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
No oil filter can filter cold oil. The oil is just too thick and will damage any filter that it has to flow through.

If this is the case the PureONE will be in bypass longer since typically much more media AND better filtration (Betas).

Originally Posted By: Ken2
That is why there is a bypass in the filter or in the filter mount.

Don't worry about using PureOne oil filters. They are one of the best oil filters that money can buy.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I sometimes use pure one oil filters in the summer months but am afraid to use them in the winter.. I cut new filters open from time to time and noticed the pure ones media is so close together i am worried the oil when thick can't get through and the bypass valve opens and don't filter the oil until warm.. With all that media so tightly together im pretty sure it must filter ok but what about oil flow??
I tried to post this in the oil filter section but could not get it to post there..

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't seem to have any problems with cold starts. Engine starts right up. No noise, even in winter. Of course, now that I am learning by leaps and bounds from being a part of this forum, I may try a 0W oil come this next winter just to play it safe(r).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back