Pure One Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using the Pure One filters for a little while but because of their flow compared to many other ones bothers me. I use Mobil 1 in most of my vehicles and change the filter every 3000 miles and the oil every 6000 miles. Is the flow rate that low that by the time the oil change comes due that I could be running a risk of not having filter oil? And also is the 6000 mi interval OK or could I go to 9 like I know some friends have done?

I would leave one filter on there for the whole 6k interval; that milage is no problem for M1 and 9k could be attainable depending on your vehicle & conditions. If the oil pump is pushing more oil than the media will pass, the bypass valve should do it's job. Doubtful the filter would clog in 6k unless your engine is dirrrty. Remember, even though a filter is in bypass, there is still a degree of oil being filtered by the media.

Really, the only time total oil flow through the engine would actually be reduced, is when the pressure becomes high enough to open the oil pump bypass. As long as that doesn't happen, all the oil will either go through the media or if there is enough differential pressure between the inlet side of the filter and the outlet (due to the media), through the filter bypass. Cold starts are pretty much the only time this will occur, or, if you accelerate really really hard and the rpms get high. The easiest way I can think to reduce this is running a larger filter. If you already have something like an FL1A sized Ford filter or something, then your good to go.

quote:

Originally posted by 65cuda:
I have been using the Pure One filters for a little while but because of their flow compared to many other ones bothers me. I use Mobil 1 in most of my vehicles and change the filter every 3000 miles and the oil every 6000 miles. Is the flow rate that low that by the time the oil change comes due that I could be running a risk of not having filter oil? And also is the 6000 mi interval OK or could I go to 9 like I know some friends have done?

I've been running Mobil 1 5w30 and Pure One filters at 10,000 OCIs for 10 years. Not a problem.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
Ugly,

Have you posted any of your used oil analysis? I looked under the Used analysis forum but could not find any.

I don't do Oil Analysis - I am confident that M1 can take 10,000 miles of my driving style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back