pure lanolin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Lanolin is supposedly the ester in Auto RX that does all the magic, why couldn't the Lanolin be used by itself in its pure form? The melting point of Lanolin is quite low at 107F, so it wouldn't be hard to melt it just prior to pouring it into the sump, or even pre-mixing it with the fresh oil.

I found a source for Lanolin at a pretty decent price. It's USP certified or whatever. I'm seriously tempted to try it in a vehicle that is "expendable", just to see if it might work as well as Auto RX does.

Frank has listed the primary cleaning agent somewhere in here. You can buy it (might be expensive for an individual) ..but you'll have a hard time with the patented blending process. It's not like Frank bought three esters ..threw them in a vat ..bottled it up and put a label on it. Lots of knock off artists have tried to manage to copy it.

..but good luck with your experiment
thumbsup2.gif

He's said that some of the esters are just to thin out the lanolin, which would turn back into a grease consistency when it cools, and one of the esters is for extreme pressure. Supposedly there are only 3 ingredients, so.....

if you could work up the gumption to cut the tail off that Porterhouse you're grillin - you could toss that in the oil-fill hole too
wink.gif

Last edited:
IIRC lanolin is squeezed from the wool of sheep. So either hug some sheep or search the internet for a direct source.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
IIRC lanolin is squeezed from the wool of sheep. So either hug some sheep or search the internet for a direct source.

I think that is lambolin
wink.gif

IIRC Frank's patent refers to something called Natralube 1006 but my memory ain't what it used to be...

I do not know why someone would try to plagiarize Auto-Rx.

I tipped a heap of lanoline into my old J-Car engine soon after joining BITOG.

Appeared to cause no harm, made the oil smell like lanolin.

Appeared to do no good either.

Just rechecked Frank's Patent.

He's making esters out of lanoline (a fatty acid) - similar to making biodiesel.

Maybe he is on to something---------GO-JO and the other waterless hand cleaners are made from lanolin-and they do an excellent job of cleaning.

Even if it was a disposable vehicle, I don't know if I'd dump something into an engine that would turn solid at room temperature. If it didn't get fully mixed into the oil, it could possibly solidify inside an oil passage. I'll trust Frank's mix instead.

Maybe the entire sheep could be used. The hooves would scrape the hard carbon deposits while the wool gently polishes the metal to better than new smoothness. We already know how beneficial the lanolin circulating in would be.
LOL.gif

I saw on this page http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm that lanolin could be used in the mix to remove fingerprints. The pour point listed is quite low, but I don't know if that's with the lanolin in the brew.

I, too, have noticed that the hand cleaners that contain lanolin work very well to get grease off my my hands.

Lanolin is supposed to be good as a lubricant, as well as rust preventative.

All of those things are what got me thinking.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Since Lanolin is supposedly the ester in Auto RX that does all the magic, why couldn't the Lanolin be used by itself in its pure form? The melting point of Lanolin is quite low at 107F, so it wouldn't be hard to melt it just prior to pouring it into the sump, or even pre-mixing it with the fresh oil.

I found a source for Lanolin at a pretty decent price. It's USP certified or whatever. I'm seriously tempted to try it in a vehicle that is "expendable", just to see if it might work as well as Auto RX does.

This is how products are born, people get an idea and try it. The hardest part is overcoming all the negative feedback and people poking fun at you. If you have an expendable car, the time, and the money to test your ideas I say go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

AD

I don't know if I'd try something like this. Then again, I've done lots of stuff that appeared to be a good idea at the time. It's called the learning curve. There are a number of things that I don't quite understand why they are the way they are since they have some liability/roadblock to them. It appears to be a senseless attribute. It's only when I try and trump the seemingly needless roadblock that I encounter - the rest of the story. This part isn't apparent to the casual user ..but is to the disciplined expert that designed it.

There are two types of learning curves. One is the mastering of an already existing technology (technique, style, etc) ..familiarity..practice ...and the other is the learning curve of futility for all practical purposes.

I mean, someone sees value in a hydrogen generator and installs it in their car. OTOH, a car manufacturer sees the clown that has one installed in his car and blows the thing up.

Frank has shared a few stories with me. There have been people who have bought drums of Auto-Rx and attempted to duplicate the process. I'm sure it's like some of the complex processes that we used in making dyes. There you may add some ingredients and spin it up for 3 days at a given temp ..add other ingredients ..spin it at a given temp for 2 days or 2 hours. Dump ice into it to pull it out of solution ..filter it ..all the while you're making the other half of the components under a whole different process.

I haven't a clue to what the process is ..just that I'm sure it's not just throwing stuff together and bottling it up.

Good luck with your effort, chevofreak. Be careful. When describing your personal process, I'd put a few disclaimers out so that others realize that you're venturing into that pioneering realm where risk is involved.

cheers3.gif

The lanolin in hand cleaners is not in the formulation to clean anything. It is in the formulation to add back oils to the skin from the detergents that draw oils which end up defatting the skin. Without the lanolin your skin would be white looking and chapped. It's purpose is a skin moisturizer.

But if you want to try it in your crankcase, I would suggest that you seal off the PCV system and pour in some acid, use the crankcase pressure as a reactor tank to transform the lanolin into an ester. Now dispose of that motor and save the sump contents for the next motor.

And how much is a bottle from Frank...Less than the cost of a motor

Buy a case, pay the shipping, support a BITOG spoonser..Save the formulating for Chemies

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Frank is no longer a BITOG sponsor.

I would buy several cases if I thought I could sell it locally.

Any reason why he isnt a Sponsor, did someone upset him ? Maybe now he will be open to more discussion, not that their isnt enough info on Auto-Rx anyway.....excellent product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back