pure 1 vs wix or napa gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wix and NAPA Gold have the bypass valve in the threaded end (so does Motorcraft, which is made by Purolator). That to me, makes them a cut above the otherwise excellent Purolators with their bottom of the can bypass, where the oil has to pass alongside the dirty filter element to get to the bypass (possible contamination concerns though never heard of it being a problem). As for Purolator, I like Premium Plus as I think Pure One may be somewhat more restrictive.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Wix and NAPA Gold have the bypass valve in the threaded end (so does Motorcraft, which is made by Purolator). That to me, makes them a cut above the otherwise excellent Purolators with their bottom of the can bypass, where the oil has to pass alongside the dirty filter element to get to the bypass (possible contamination concerns though never heard of it being a problem). As for Purolator, I like Premium Plus as I think Pure One may be somewhat more restrictive.

I share you concern about the location of the bypass but I have found no data to suggest it is a "real" problem.
dunno.gif

The location of the bypass depends on the part#. There are some PureOne's that have it in the threaded end (the 25230 I believe is one example).

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:
The location of the bypass depends on the part#. There are some PureOne's that have it in the threaded end (the 25230 I believe is one example).

Dave

True. I use the Purolator L40017 (Motorcraft FL299), which has the threaded end bypass. Actually I really like the Fleetguard LF697 but it has the bypass in the bottom. Flow is astounding though at nearly 16 gpm.

quote:

Both are good filters with a silicone ADBV. The Pure 1 definately filters better and seems to have more capacity, the Wix flows a little better.

I'd buy the Pure 1 because of the construction and filtering ability.

That is the beautiful thing about GM filter apps. The bypass is in the block, so it is ALWAYS at the threaded end!
smile.gif

I run Purolators in my GMs, and Motorcraft FL1-A on my Ford.

quote:

Your right, the WIX #51372 for Ford modulars has the bypass in the rear.
confused.gif
Motorcraft is the only filter I've found with an "up front" bypass valve for that application.
dunno.gif

Thanks to all for the replies. I guess I will just stick with the pure 1 filter for now. When you call up either wix or purulator's tech line, why cant they tell you an option for an oversized filter. What gives? I say I use a whatever wix filter, and ask if they have an oversized filter with the same specifications as the number I gave them, and they say we dont do that. Why??????????????????????????????

quote:

Actually I really like the Fleetguard LF697 but it has the bypass in the bottom. Flow is astounding though at nearly 16 gpm.

Paul,
speaking of flow have you seen the WIX Racing filter specs?
Here

:The only one with the correct threads is FL1A sized though, and I'm not sure where the bypass is located. But, the flow rate appears to be high to say the least!(not sure if the testing method for GPM is standardized) I wonder what the micron rating looks like?

They tested some aspects of the #51515R media in the Grease Filter Study. Here

quote:

What gives? I say I use a whatever wix filter, and ask if they have an oversized filter with the same specifications as the number I gave them, and they say we dont do that. Why??????????????????????????????

I would think for liability reasons.

Do your own cross ref. Baldwin has a size dimensions section listed by thread size. Here

Then just cross ref to your brand of choice.
:The WIX site gives gasket dimensions, so I would cross ref there first.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:

quote:

Both are good filters with a silicone ADBV. The Pure 1 definately filters better and seems to have more capacity, the Wix flows a little better.

I'd buy the Pure 1 because of the construction and filtering ability.

That is the beautiful thing about GM filter apps. The bypass is in the block, so it is ALWAYS at the threaded end!
smile.gif

I run Purolators in my GMs, and Motorcraft FL1-A on my Ford.

Unless it's a Saturn.

quote:

Originally posted by 69 Riv GS:

quote:

What gives? I say I use a whatever wix filter, and ask if they have an oversized filter with the same specifications as the number I gave them, and they say we dont do that. Why??????????????????????????????

I would think for liability reasons.

For sure! And look up the filter manufacturer's warranty. It only applies if you use the exact filter number their catalog says to use. Anything else and you are on your own. So what, says I
tongue.gif
(I'm using oversized on all my vehicles).

quote:

For sure! And look up the filter manufacturer's warranty. It only applies if you use the exact filter number their catalog says to use. Anything else and you are on your own. So what, says I (I'm using oversized on all my vehicles).

It's even worse for VAG 1.8T owners, because we are now required to use oversize filters to expand our meager mis-engineered oil capacities from 3.7 to 4.5 qts., but most filter manufacturers and parts houses show only the original smaller filter, such as a Bosch 3421. (VAG increases the confusion by making the two part numbers, 06A-115-561-B (small) and 068-115-561B (large), sound almost the same.)

quote:

Originally posted by 69 Riv GS:
Paul,
speaking of flow have you seen the WIX Racing filter specs?
Here

Sorry, I totally missed this post before. The Wix Racing has astounding flow. I thought the Fleetguard was remarkable and is compared to some brands. I called Purolator and they gave me gpm for their versions of the FL400s (L20195), FL1A (L30001), and FL299 (L40017) as 3 gpm, 4 gpm, and 7 gpm. Wix told me both the 51773 (FL299) and 51515 (FL1A) are 7 - 9 gpm. Now I wonder what Motorcraft filters flow. Bet those Wix Racing filters cost a lot.

I called Fleetguard some time ago for specs on the Lf697:

Capacity: 33 grams of contaminants
Efficiency of 68% at 30 microns
Flow rate: 15.85 gpm

In spite of the apparently poor effeciency, I got a very good UOA with that filter.

[ December 25, 2004, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back