PUP 5w30, 2017 Ford Escape 2.0l turbo 7600 miles

Seems like a good report, but the previous report note the oil viscosity. Many have said that it might have been an error in the analysis.

Attachments

• image.pdf
    234.5 KB · Views: 322
Seems like a good report, but the previous report note the oil viscosity. Many have said that it might have been an error in the analysis.

It doesn't seem like a good report as you think.
Let's look at the oil properties results.
The viscosity range @100°C for SAE 30 oil is 9.3 and
ViscosityChart.jpg

The VOA of PUP 5W-30 for @100°C is 10.06.
Since your result of 7.70 fell below the acceptable range, the oil should be changed sooner.
Your result is in SAE 16-20 range.

Flash point.
The average flash point over your 4 tests is 358°F.
This is a 108°F less than fresh PUP 5W-30 of 466°F.
What contributed to such a big drop?
It is the entry of foreign substances, water, fuel etc.

TBN (Alkaline number).
In the old days of high sulfur content in gasoline the recommended oil change was if TBN dropped >50%.
Today the acceptable value is no less than 2.5.

I still prefer the 50% rule just to be safe.
Let's look at your case.
The fresh PUP 5W-30 has TBN 9.14.
The average TBN of two of your results is 2.45.
That's whopping 73% drop from fresh oil TBN number.

Another good indication of oil quality is TAN (acid) number.
As the TAN rises the TBN (alkaline) falls.
So if the TAN getting close to TBN level it is time for oil change. Since you didn't have TAN tested it's hard to say.

Hope this helps you to plan your OCI.

It doesn't seem like a good report as you think.
Let's look at the oil properties results.
The viscosity range @100°C for SAE 30 oil is 9.3 and
View attachment 31680

The VOA of PUP 5W-30 for @100°C is 10.06.
Since your result of 7.70 fell below the acceptable range, the oil should be changed sooner.
Your result is in SAE 16-20 range.

Flash point.
The average flash point over your 4 tests is 358°F.
This is a 108°F less than fresh PUP 5W-30 of 466°F.
What contributed to such a big drop?
It is the entry of foreign substances, water, fuel etc.

TBN (Alkaline number).
In the old days of high sulfur content in gasoline the recommended oil change was if TBN dropped >50%.
Today the acceptable value is no less than 2.5.

I still prefer the 50% rule just to be safe.
Let's look at your case.
The fresh PUP 5W-30 has TBN 9.14.
The average TBN of two of your results is 2.45.
That's whopping 73% drop from fresh oil TBN number.

Another good indication of oil quality is TAN (acid) number.
As the TAN rises the TBN (alkaline) falls.
So if the TAN getting close to TBN level it is time for oil change. Since you didn't have TAN tested it's hard to say.

Hope this helps you to plan your OCI.

You have some good points, but your numbers for virgin PUP 5w30 are off compared to the quoted SAE paper. The flash point of virgin PUP 5w30 is 203 C or 398 F, which actually sounds on the low side. Kinematic viscosity at 100 is 10.3 . I wonder if your quoted values are from a different, earlier formulation of PUP 5w30? Or maybe my PUP is an older formulation. In any event the VOA numbers are close enough. I think your advice to change a bit sooner is good advice.

Thin oil obviously isn't affecting anything. Based on the calcium, yes, you have an older formulation. Just a question (don't take offense) are you SURE this was 5w30? It's what I would expect for the Pennzoil 20s with a little fuel.

Either way, keep driving, and make sure to take the car for a good, strong 30+ minute drive before sampling to help boil off any fuel. See if that helps.

I had a 2017 Escape SE with the 2.0T. Nothing as thin as PUP 5W30 went in it. Most oils that I used would have the Kinematic viscosity near 11.0 at 100C. I continue that in my new F-150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost.

Back