PUP 0w40 in 5.7L HEMI that will see some "mild" track use.

Hello all,

Curious to get some opinions on this. I have a 2014 5.7L HEMI in a Ram 1500. It's going to be getting a 93 Octane tune soon, and ill probably do some drag runs at the track in Nov. Engine internals are stock, bolt on mods only.

I've been running Schaeffer's 5w20 with good results, though I have noticed oil pressure is a few lbs (45 psi vs 48 psi, still well within normal of course) lower when hot (Oil temps 215*F+) and my upper engine is a bit more noisy with the latest API SP revision of the oil. Nothing concerning, just nosier, I presume the SP oil is a bit more thinner when hot.

Since the engine may see some hard operation, I was thinking Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 may be a good pic. The 6.4L HEMI recommends it, and the rod/main/cam bearing clearances are all the same between the 2 engines. The oil pump rotor clearances are also the same. I know the MDS system might be a little bit picky when it comes to oil, but then again, the 6.4L uses the same solenoids for MDS, so im a bit torn if id have issues here.

Given the clearances are the same, the engine shouldn't have any major problems with it, but im curious to see what you guys think.

The PUP 0w40 looks like a really good oil, with a excellent add package... 200ppm+ of trinuclear moly is what makes it most appealing to me, plus being the factory fill for the 6.4/Supercharged 6.2L hemi engines..

yeah mds may throw a code about improper viscosity like it does to some 5.7's but it doesn't hurt the engine and it's a worthwhile tradeoff. id use it.

My father has a 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7L with MDS. I've used 0w40 in it for a few years now and have never had an issue. It currently has around 180k miles, I started with 0w40 at about 60k.

The 0w-40 is formulated just like your typical SN/SP oil, the additive package isn't any more robust (unlike the Euro 0w-40's). What you'll gain is a bit more viscosity margin and higher HTHS.

The MDS systems are indeed identical between the 5.7L and 6.4L, it's the oil pressure that it infers visc from based on temperature that is different, and you usually have to be EXTREMELY cold for this to happen. User Clevy had it happen when it was like -35C or -40C. Above that, it didn't throw a code.

Fwiw i run 0w40 m1 in my 5.7 with no codes. Just a smoother sounding engine with the same mpg as when i ran schaeffers 5w20

The 0w-40 is formulated just like your typical SN/SP oil, the additive package isn't any more robust (unlike the Euro 0w-40's). What you'll gain is a bit more viscosity margin and higher HTHS.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 seems fuel economy oil masquerading as high-performance SRT lube. You're right.

The MDS systems are indeed identical between the 5.7L and 6.4L, it's the oil pressure that it infers visc from based on temperature that is different, and you usually have to be EXTREMELY cold for this to happen. User Clevy had it happen when it was like -35C or -40C. Above that, it didn't throw a code.
Today I am switching back from Mobil 1 from Red Line 5W-30. I don't understand why anyone would run this in their HEMI for the life of me. I wanted to try it. As we speak, the truck is outside idling on the ramps with a can of Liqui Moly Pro-Line Engine Flush in it. Out it's like 57F. When I pulled the dipstick today, it looked like molasses. I whipped it off with my fingers (nitrile gloves), and it felt like honey. For comparison, I pulled the dipstick out of my wife's 2017 Santa Fe 3.3L V6 that's running Mobil 1 FS 5W-40, and it felt nice and slick. That vehicle has been off since yesterday.

Given that I run a 180F Mishimoto racing thermostat and deleted my grille shutters, I might just go with Mobil 1 EP 5W-20.

I've seen your post a while ago and was wondering if 5W-20 wouldn't be as thick or even thicker at -35C to -40C and trigger a code as well in the 5.7 HEMI?

I plaid around with a viscosity-temperature calculator. Down to -35C, the results seem very close. This is what I came up with:

5W-20 @ -35C:

1640200092655.jpg

5W-20 @ -40C:

1640200102264.jpg

0W-40 @ -35C:

1640200115608.jpg

0W-40 @ -40C:

1640200124649.jpg

Back