Pulmbing question?

Your getting warmer. More than likely the pipe going to the wall is 1 1/2 schd 40. Might be 2 inch but look on the pipe, it's usually stamped on it somewhere. You'll need to cut that short section between the last two glued pieces but leave it as long as possible so you have a stub to glue on the new adapter. Make sure the adapter accepts 11/2 slip joint size, you can always use an 1 1/4 washer in it if needed. Look the glue cans over before you buy, there are lots of choices.

Apparently the putty job did not hold. It leaked.

I ended up having to get this adapter:

I also needed Oatey cement:

I cut the PVC back and used the primer and cement to adhere the adapter. After that all is leak free.

Here is a pic of the repair. This should have bee done when the house was built.

Thanks for everyone's input on the forum.

Attachments

• 20210220_190502.jpg
    20210220_190502.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Nice. Makes you wonder why it was done with the putty in the first place!
I tried to reason that to myself, my first thought was money, but that didn't compute.

The glue joint at the local hardware store and the adapter I bought were approximately the same price. The time required to do the glue joint would have been longer as they both had to be glued on.

The only logical thing I can think of is that whoever did that previous work, did not know or did not have the proper adapter.

It looks like somebody cut it open it to snake it when it backs up.
Maybe just get a rubber hose with clamps to slip on, to keep it watertight in between cleanouts.
I'm not a real plumber. In plumber speak, that is called a no hub connector. I have them on every 1 1/2" trap in my house instead of a slip fitting. They are easier to idiot proof than the rinky dink plastic 1 1/4 hardware store stuff.

Last edited:
Back