Pulmbing question?

Hello all, I did not know which section to put this in so if a moderator wishes to move it, I understand.

I am having an issue under my kitchen sink, if you look at the pipe in the picture I posted, I gather that is old plumbers putty(the brown junk)?

Any rate, the drain is not leaking, but I would like to be proactive and fix a possible leak.

Any suggestions on what to use, the drain is obviously made of PVC.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Resized_20210217_134244.jpeg
    Resized_20210217_134244.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 108
PVC primer and Cement but you will have to replace some sections..From the looks of it, there's too many pieces put together anyway and needs some tidying..

The other sections are nice and tight, I am just speaking of the area with the brown crud.
If you don't want to replace, clean it up and use RTV on the outside. Problem is you can't re-cement the joint once it has been done. If it's not leaking, leave it alone then and keep on eye on it.

Scrape it off with a knife and clean it up with PVC solvent. None of that stuff on the outside is preventing anything from leaking as far as I can tell.
I can't imagine why it wasn't glued properly to begin with, but looking at the other joints on the CPVC in the background, someone was in a hurry.

Here's a tool you might need to do the job since those are glued segments.

Unless you're prepared to replace that entire contraption right now, don't mess with it. As soon as you start moving stuff around, I can guarantee it will start dripping. If you're convinced a leak is eminent, just slather some sealant over it. If you move it, I hope you have a sleeve and some primer & glue ready.

Here's a tool you might need to do the job since those are glued segments.

Why would he need that tool? its not underground or anything?

Turns out the brown crud was just plumbers putty. I took the pipe apart, cleaned out the old plumbers putty, cleaned the gook out of the inner part of the pipe, and replaced the putty with fresh stuff.

I ran the sink for awhile and zero leaks. I will keep my eye on it for the next few days.

I posted a pic of the new putty.

Attachments

• 20210217_165441.jpg
    20210217_165441.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 28
Wait, what? Your mixing apples and oranges here. Larger drain pipe is scheduled 40, smaller one from drain is slip joint. You need a compression slip joint x 1 1/2 schedule 40 trap adapter that will cement to the bigger pipe then you tighten down the nut over the smaller pipe to seal up the joint. Get rid of your plumber putty in this case.

Wait, what? Your mixing apples and oranges here. Larger drain pipe is scheduled 40, smaller one from drain is slip joint. You need a compression slip joint x 1 1/2 schedule 40 trap adapter that will cement to the bigger pipe then you tighten down the nut over the smaller pipe to seal up the joint. Get rid of your plumber putty in this case.
Yeah, it’s a total mess.

Last edited:
You do not use plumbers putty on PVC pipe under the sink. Plumbers putty might be used around a faucet housing to the sink and around the drain to the sink. More of a bedding compound. You wipe away half of it after tightening.

I did read an article in Family Handyman where some put some non hardening thread compound on slip joint washers and compression joint washers. But thats thread compound not plumbers putty.

Ditto. I think putty is only approved for use beneath the drain collar in a sink (to fill the gap against the basin). I can't see it being useful to as a jointing substance.

Reactions: 4WD
It looks like somebody cut it open it to snake it when it backs up.
Maybe just get a rubber hose with clamps to slip on, to keep it watertight in between cleanouts.

Back