Pulling a trailer in the fast lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ticks me off to no end. I can certainly understand how someone pulling a small U-Haul trailer might not know they're not allowed in the far left lanes, but shouldn't a commercial truck driver know better.

We've got a big interchange here of I-238 merging with I-580 south. Big rigs aren't allowed on that stretch of I-580 between Oakland and Hayward, so they're all merging from I-238. I noticed one truck driver who didn't seem to want to merge in to the right - probably because it was slow and there were a lot of trucks packed closely. So he keeps on driving in the #2 lane (with five lanes) for almost 4 miles.

Where's the CHP? This guy was slowing down commute traffic.

the chp around here watch for those bozos.many states allow trucks in all lanes unlike California. the chp really watches i40 between barstow and az for trailers in the wrong lane and speeding. usually people taking a boat to the river. limited to 55mph in ca with a trailer.

Each state can be different. Some states have exclusions from left lane if 3 lane divided highway, some have exclusion from left lane except to pass.

Not illegal here in AZ and I don't mind when people are pulling trailers in the fast lane as long as they have a good speed. I've pulled trailers in the fast lane b I'm always passing everybody else then.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Not illegal here in AZ and I don't mind when people are pulling trailers in the fast lane as long as they have a good speed. I've pulled trailers in the fast lane b I'm always passing everybody else then.
you az ppl drive real fast! i spent my homeymoon at the grand canyon. had the truck against the governor only to get my doors blown off by motorhomes pulling huge toyhaulers

And yet, California allows motorcycles to lane split:

dcpat.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
usually people taking a boat to the river. limited to 55mph in ca with a trailer.

Lived in San Diego for 30 years, made many trips to the river. Never saw a vehicle pulling a trailer below about 65mph. Including me. LEO's ignored this as policy. Was stopped once pulling my boat at 75mph. Got a warning from a nice officer. Love those guys.

had the truck against the governor only to get my doors blown off by motorhomes pulling huge toyhaulers
Slow truck?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

dcpat.jpg

Around here they treat those lines like it's a high speed lane made special for them when traffic is heavy. Lots of deaths each month around here from the bikers using those lines for a lane.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
you az ppl drive real fast! i spent my homeymoon at the grand canyon. had the truck against the governor only to get my doors blown off by motorhomes pulling huge toyhaulers
Lol everybody, and I mean everybody here says those California drivers are the crazy ones going fast!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's illegal in California to pull a trailer in the left lane?

OK if it's to exit at an interchange or merging from an interchange. If there are at least four lanes in a direction, any vehicle pulling a trailer is only allowed in the two right-most lanes. An exit-only lane doesn't count.

Quote:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21655.htm

V C Section 21655 Designated Lanes for Certain Vehicles

(b) Any trailer bus, except as provided in Section 21655.5, and any vehicle subject to the provisions of Section 22406 shall be driven in the lane or lanes designated pursuant to subdivision (a) whenever signs have been erected giving notice of that designation. Except as otherwise provided in this subdivision, when a specific lane or lanes have not been so designated, any of those vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right edge or curb. If, however, a specific lane or lanes have not been designated on a divided highway having four or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, any of those vehicles may also be driven in the lane to the immediate left of that right-hand lane, unless otherwise prohibited under this code. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, the driver shall use either the designated lane, the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane for traffic as permitted under this code.

And HOV lanes by definition won't allow a trailer. They're only allowed if there are already a certain number of lanes (I think 3).

An RV is legal in any lane. A utility truck without a hitch is legal in any lane. However, an RV towing a car is considered a trailer. A semi does of course include a trailer.

Here in Texas there are signs specifically stating where trucks are banned from the left lane, and we don't have lower speed limits for trucks. All this makes for a much quicker and more pleasant drive.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Here in Texas there are signs specifically stating where trucks are banned from the left lane, and we don't have lower speed limits for trucks. All this makes for a much quicker and more pleasant drive.

+1 also getting the higher speed limits (or at least in my neck of the woods).

75mph posted on I35.. traffic run 80mph... 130 toll road posted 80mph traffic runs 90mph.

Had my cruise set at 90 on the toll road one morning and got passed by a DPS trooper who was probably doing 95 or 100. That gave me a big smile.

I have seen ppl run faster but usually the popo gets them.

What's even better is the owner operator truck drivers with ungoverned trucks running with car traffic... Traffic just flows so much better... until you hit a company driver who is governed to 65 or 70mph.

dcpat.jpg

yeah that stuff drives me nuts... I'm seeing it more and more here in TX when traffic gets bad... they are gonna have a bad day when someone opens the door or pulls to one side to try and see around the car in front of them.

Originally Posted By: code5coupe
usually people taking a boat to the river. limited to 55mph in ca with a trailer.

Lived in San Diego for 30 years, made many trips to the river. Never saw a vehicle pulling a trailer below about 65mph. Including me. LEO's ignored this as policy. Was stopped once pulling my boat at 75mph. Got a warning from a nice officer. Love those guys.

had the truck against the governor only to get my doors blown off by motorhomes pulling huge toyhaulers
Slow truck?

Diesel with no OD and probably 4.10 gears.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

dcpat.jpg

Around here they treat those lines like it's a high speed lane made special for them when traffic is heavy. Lots of deaths each month around here from the bikers using those lines for a lane.

Yup, they're called PODs (potential organ donors).

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

dcpat.jpg

+1 to that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back