Check your trailer tires

I completed a 300 mile trip to OBX and back, and could not believe the number of trailer tire issues I saw on the trip. One blowout caused the truck to lose control and start heading towards me head on, crossing the median. Thankfully the driver was able to keep it from completely crossing, but I don’t know how it turned out. That trailer was also improperly loaded, with too much weight in the back (extended cab pickup backed on the trailer being towed by a standard cab pickup).

One trailer was a triple axle with one tire missing and riding on the wheel. It was hauling a really nice boat, and being pulled by an $80k fairly new Chevy pickup in the left lane, blowing by me running at least 80 mph. The driver was reading through paperwork while driving. I finally saw him on the side of the road 15 minutes or so later.

Similar situation with a dump trailer being pulled by a trashed 3/4 ton Ford. His tire let go while I was behind him, flinging rubber every wear. The driver didn’t care and kept on running.

There were many others on the side of the road as well. I’ve done this drive many times and had never seen this many sidelined trailers before. I do think 3/4 ton pickups tow so well that people forget you shouldn’t pull trailers at normal speeds. It is very common to see large trailers towed by pickups running hard in the left lane, passing everyone.

check your tire age and pressures!

I'm going to do an extensive post later-I just got back from a 1,500 mile trip towing my (30 feet-5,000 pound) travel trailer. I bought new ST Tires from Walmart for $63.00 a piece. Load range "D" rated for 81 mph.They are made in China. I have two axles. The temperatures averaged in the 90's. I have NEVER had any issues running ST tires made in China. BUT-I don't tow over 65mph, and I don't curb hop and try to stay away from tight turns, and always check inflation. And I replace them every three years or sooner if I see anything I need to be concerned with. So-it's NOT HARD for me to understand why there are so many issues because I observe the same thing as the OP does, the main culprit is excessive speed while towing-and not checking inflation.

I have towed on Chinese tires from Utah to the East Coast and back and never even had a flat tire-all on Chinese ST tires. GO FIGURE!

Last edited:
Run your tires at max PSI cold, check them at every stop, don’t get crazy on the interstate (keep it under 70), don’t overload. All things I seldom see on the highway here, and I’m actually amazed most of them get where they’re going in one piece.

I have towed on Chinese tires from Utah to the East Coast and back and never even had a flat tire-all on Chinese ST tires. GO FIGURE!
And then you have a guy I worked with who had an RV place put new tires on his large toy hauler before a trip, some Chinese brand with a heavy rating they recommended. He got 75 miles away and one blew and severely damaged his trailer. I don't remember the details now but it wasn't road hazard and he wasn't doing anything different that he usually did with no problems on previous tires.

You're very conservative replacing every 3 years with inexpensive tires. I'll go 5 years on Goodyears regardless of miles. 65 mph max with aftermarket TPMS. What make trailer do you have that's 30'/5000 lb? Unloaded or GVWR? Our 25' Grand Design TT is 5000 dry and 6700 GVRW. 3000 mile trip being planned right now.

And then you have a guy I worked with who had an RV place put new tires on his large toy hauler before a trip, some Chinese brand with a heavy rating they recommended. He got 75 miles away and one blew and severely damaged his trailer. I don't remember the details now but it wasn't road hazard and he wasn't doing anything different that he usually did with no problems on previous tires.

You're very conservative replacing every 3 years with inexpensive tires. I'll go 5 years on Goodyears regardless of miles. 65 mph max with aftermarket TPMS. What make trailer do you have that's 30'/5000 lb? Unloaded or GVWR? Our 25' Grand Design TT is 5000 dry and 6700 GVRW. 3000 mile trip being planned right now.
I'm 5,000 pounds read to camp.

How many people have a tongue weight scale?
(I do).; Now with a boat and travel trailers it's probably always pretty close. But a flatbed hauling a piece of machinery. Probably never is very close.

You would think a tire shop that has been in business for awhile would know the brands they sell and returns or blowouts their customers experience. So why the blowouts? While not a fan of Chinese products, they should be able to manufacture a decent tire even if they cannot design and build an aircraft carrier with a catapult launch system.

I baby my boat trailer, never go over about 60 MPH and tow with my 3/4 ton pickup that can probably handling braking without the trailer brakes if needed. And never dunk it in the water to launch the boat.

How many people have a tongue weight scale?
(I do).; Now with a boat and travel trailers it's probably always pretty close. But a flatbed hauling a piece of machinery. Probably never is very close.

You would think a tire shop that has been in business for awhile would know the brands they sell and returns or blowouts their customers experience. So why the blowouts? While not a fan of Chinese products, they should be able to manufacture a decent tire even if they cannot design and build an aircraft carrier with a catapult launch system.

I baby my boat trailer, never go over about 60 MPH and tow with my 3/4 ton pickup that can probably handling braking without the trailer brakes if needed. And never dunk it in the water to launch the boat.
Nobody pulling a box trailer filled with whatever has a clue as to tongue weight or weight of what they are pulling unless their first stop is a scale after they load up. I am convinced there is more at play here than " China Bombs". Or I have had a stroke of extraordinary good luck over several sets of Chinese manufactured tires.

Check the stems they seem to dry rot after two or three years. Very few people seem to replace trailer tires after hitting the 7 year mark like the tire manufacturer suggest.

Inflation and tire age are probably most of the issue. Most people never check their tire pressure, and many trailers sit in the driveway or yard baking in the sun until they are used. For a majority of owners, their trailer tires will rot out before they wear down.

I'm 5,000 pounds read to camp.

You pack really light to hit the road @ 5000lbs. It says your trailer's UVW is 4584lbs. When I scaled our trailer last summer ready to roll with 1/3 tank fresh water it was 1030 lb over claimed dry weight. Surprised me.

You pack really light to hit the road @ 5000lbs. It says your trailer's UVW is 4584lbs. When I scaled our trailer last summer ready to roll with 1/3 tank fresh water it was 1030 lb over claimed dry weight. Surprised me.
Yea-we really watch the weight. I carry two gallons of water in jugs. I don't fill the fresh water tank. Another reason for tires that blow up is over weight-I'm sure you know that.

There are aftermarket TPMS sensors and monitors for trailers, I wonder if anyone has considered them?
Use them towing behind my Yukon, love em. Have found that st rated speed and load, they are near safe temp limits at about 95 degrees ambient. Fair enough, and a good reminder to watch the load especially in summer.

Back