Pulling a trailer in the fast lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
CA laws...LOL

They might as well put up borders and announce themselves a new country.

Yep! The Republic of Kalifornia

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wow 80MPH speed limit! Wonder if there are a lot of tire failures from that.

Considering most trailer tires are stamped right on them "65mph max", I would have to wonder too. Running tires a range or two higher than needed probably helps though.

[Note, the 4.8x12 tires from HF are limited to 55mph. I've run them at 70 though, no issues, but not under a hot AZ/CA sun nor at full load.]

Originally Posted By: supton

Considering most trailer tires are stamped right on them "65mph max", I would have to wonder too. Running tires a range or two higher than needed probably helps though.

[Note, the 4.8x12 tires from HF are limited to 55mph. I've run them at 70 though, no issues, but not under a hot AZ/CA sun nor at full load.]

I've seen 55 MPH max stamping on bus tires. That doesn't keep bus drivers from exceeding that.

I'm more concerned with someone and their beat up old SUV on 10 year old tires that have 15PSI in them running at 80 and having a blowout.

Meh, that's always been true, whether it was 1950-something, or 1980-something, or yesterday. My understanding is that people have driven 70+ for decades; speed limits prior to the double nickel were not far from what they are today (albeit the 80mph limits are probably above those old limits).

Thats true for ST rated tires used on trailers but many travel trailers, especially the larger ones now come with LT tires. So not limited to 65. I have ST tires on my travel trailer so I dont go above 65 except in CA I keep it to 55.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Not illegal here in AZ and I don't mind when people are pulling trailers in the fast lane as long as they have a good speed. I've pulled trailers in the fast lane b I'm always passing everybody else then.
you az ppl drive real fast! i spent my homeymoon at the grand canyon. had the truck against the governor only to get my doors blown off by motorhomes pulling huge toyhaulers
Lol everybody, and I mean everybody here says those California drivers are the crazy ones going fast!

With a vacation home south of Phoenix....and driving through California MANY times....I'd have to say that around Los Angeles, the speed those knuckleheads drive is frightening. Old ladies, taxis, cops, bus drivers....they all drive at least 15mph over the posted limit and lane change like slot cars. Phoenix is mild compared to LA.

I had heard of travel trailers starting to use P or LT tires, but wasn't aware of it being widespread yet.

I had heard of travel trailers starting to use P or LT tires, but wasn't aware of it being widespread yet.

It's pretty common to see LT235/85-16 tires on trailers - travel, landscaping, car, etc.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'd have to say that around Los Angeles, the speed those knuckleheads drive is frightening.

5 mph at all hours of the day because they're stuck in traffic? :p

To the OP, let's look at the dynamics a little. CA has a 55 speed limit for commercial trucks. Screws up the flow of traffic, but if you don't like it, you are going to have to call Gov Moonbeam. Next, the most dangerous move on the road for a commercial truck driver to make, is a lane change. Seriously. There are major blind spots the driver has around his truck. It doesn't take much for a small car, in just a second or two, to get into one of those blind spots. Then, being in the right lane, the oncoming traffic can cause real concerns. Both from a speed standpoint, but again, the blindspot issues. So to that end, many commercial trucks will operate in the #2 lane and stay right there to minimize the risk. It may be frustrating to folks in their little cars and pickups, but the truck driver operating 70 feet of truck weighing up to 80,000 lb is actually trying to keep mishaps to a minimum. The less the truck has to switch from a lane, the better. Considering the larger legal risks to the truck driver than the auto driver, it is the world in which we live. A auto driver may only get a citation and their insurance has to cover it. A truck driver, if one of the vehicles has to be towed, they are required to undergo drug testing, blood, urine, or both, and they have not only a potential citation for fault, but regardless of fault, they incur demerit points with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Adminstration's CSA program. And based on the points on that, that driver could lose his job, and would be blackballed in the profession. In essence, the hassles are more intense than most auto or pickup owners have any imagining.

Cut the truck driver some slack.

Most trailer tires are ST unless unless you order with an LT. Just got back from camping and good friend bought a brand new 5th wheel 40 foot Montana. 16700 loaded. Has ST tires.
Just went shopping, not one that I looked at had anything but an ST tire.

Reason being is LT tires just doesn't have a lot of pliability when back up or turning. Ever watch the tires on a TT when backing up? It is crazy!

You can see the scrub on tractor trailers on tight turns.

Driving in Boston last weekend had me in the fast lane while pulling my trailer. But I was the fastest vehicle at the time... so it was ok. [I was also going like under 60 too.]

All bets are off when you're under Boston. Or around Boston for the matter.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
To the OP, let's look at the dynamics a little. CA has a 55 speed limit for commercial trucks. Screws up the flow of traffic, but if you don't like it, you are going to have to call Gov Moonbeam. Next, the most dangerous move on the road for a commercial truck driver to make, is a lane change. Seriously. There are major blind spots the driver has around his truck. It doesn't take much for a small car, in just a second or two, to get into one of those blind spots. Then, being in the right lane, the oncoming traffic can cause real concerns. Both from a speed standpoint, but again, the blindspot issues. So to that end, many commercial trucks will operate in the #2 lane and stay right there to minimize the risk. It may be frustrating to folks in their little cars and pickups, but the truck driver operating 70 feet of truck weighing up to 80,000 lb is actually trying to keep mishaps to a minimum. The less the truck has to switch from a lane, the better. Considering the larger legal risks to the truck driver than the auto driver, it is the world in which we live. A auto driver may only get a citation and their insurance has to cover it. A truck driver, if one of the vehicles has to be towed, they are required to undergo drug testing, blood, urine, or both, and they have not only a potential citation for fault, but regardless of fault, they incur demerit points with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Adminstration's CSA program. And based on the points on that, that driver could lose his job, and would be blackballed in the profession. In essence, the hassles are more intense than most auto or pickup owners have any imagining.

Cut the truck driver some slack.

It was for at least 3 miles and maybe 5. in the meantime there were drivers that were trying to get around this slower moving vehicle and making unsafe lane changes. He had many opportunities to make a safe lane change, but I think he liked being in the faster lanes, even if that meant he was going considerably slower than the prevailing speed of traffic.

When I went through truck driving school, our instructors taught us that even if it isn't illegal, semis should not be in the far left lane (when there are more than two lanes going in the same direction) at all, and should only be in the left lane (on 4 lane highways) to pass when doing so won't hold up faster moving traffic...I guess like with any driver, they are going to pick and choose which laws (or driving courtesies) they are going to follow...

Yup,sometimes you just can't get over,or you'd have to slow WAY down and then wait for an 80' break in traffic while matching speed to attempt the lane change but people who've never shifted through more than 5 gears probably wouldn't understand that.

Yeah, it has a whole different perspective when you are herding 70+ feet of vehicle with a bunch of screaming gnats for traffic all around you. Just when you try to get a hole to move over, even with your signal on, some idiot that is on a mission from God shoots in the gap and messes things up. Had one guy on my rear a while back, I was in the second lane due to a broke down auto in the right lane. the guy behind me couldn't wait, and shot around my right just in time to eat the back end of the broke down auto. They say the patience is a virtue.

It's not just a job, it's an adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back