PT Crusier extended drain interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I really enjoy this forum. There are several very informative people here! I try to exhaust all search possibilities before posting a topic. I think this one is new?!?!

I have a '01 PT Cruiser, run M1 10W-30 Synthetic and want to take full advantage of the oils potential within the manufactuers recommendations. What is the MFR extended drain interval for this engine? Secondly, other than 5W-30, what other viscosity can I run in this engine?

10W-30 is recommended for this engine above zero degrees F.

0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W30 are the grades appropriate.

Extended drain intervals beyond Chrysler's recommendation should only be determined by careful analysis of used oil.

You could get a sample at 5 or 6K to know for sure how it's doing.

My Dad has a 02 PT. I bought him a couple gallons of Mobil 1 5W-30 and Mobil 1 filters. Mopar buys their filters from who ever is cheaper. So I don't trust them.

The owners manual shows the correct viscosity as 5W-30. Do you have any problems using a 10W-30 in winter in where you live? They show the OCI for the PT as 7,500. How many more miles do you want to extend it?

This is a non-turbo engine and I have not experienced any problems with 10W-30. I thought about 10K drain intervals. What do you think?

[ April 23, 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Servus ]

quote:

Originally posted by Servus:
This is a non-turbo engine and I have not experienced any problems with 10W-30. I thought about 10K drain intervals. What do you think?

Again, if you want to go for uoa. I'd say
spaz.gif
no.
spaz.gif
, otherwise. Risky.

Mobil 1 is good stuff, but it has limitations. This might push it too far me thinks.

My basic answer is No, No, No if you get my drift.

If you do an oil filter change and topoff at 5k miles and drive at least 50/50 highway/city driving with no extended idling on startup, I see no reason why Mobil 1 0w-40 shouldn't last you 10k miles or 12 months-whichever comes first.

It should last you, but that's a lot of miles for any oil. I have to agree with the uoa crowd. Take a grab sample at 5K and then maybe 7.5K if the oil warrants it. From that you can get a "feel" on how the oil and the engine like/dislike each other. If you've been reading these forums, you know that X brand oil will show stellar results with a certain manufacturer, but horrible on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back