Prudhoe Bay update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greater Prudhoe Bay Shutdown Update

August 7, 2006

Business Resumption

Priorities:

During a press conference conducted by Bob Malone, Chairman and President of BP America, Inc., and Steve Marshall, Strategic Performance Unit Leader for BP Alaska, they announced that BP has decided to replace 16 miles of transit lines in the Greater Prudhoe Bay Field. Furthermore, BP will work with regulators in a parallel plan of identifying lines that may be safe to restore to near-term operations.

Our priorities are and will continue to be:

§ Assure safety of our people and the integrity of our operating infrastructure

§ Minimize the impact to the environment and finish cleaning up the FS-2 oil transit line spill.

§ Work in cooperation with State and Federal Agencies on our plan to shut down Prudhoe Bay in a safe, orderly and systematic way.

§ Work in cooperation with State and Federal Agencies to restore production as quickly as we can safely do so.

Background & Current Actions

§ BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc. (BPXA), as operator of the Prudhoe Bay field, began a phased and orderly shutdown of production of the Prudhoe Bay oilfield as the result of a smart pig inspection that indicated corrosion on one of its Eastern Operating Area (EOA) crude oil transit lines. The line, which transports crude oil from the Flow Station 2 producing area, was shut in.

§ We have been proceeding over last few weeks to fulfill our commitments to clean, scrape and smart-pig all transit lines at Greater Prudhoe Bay.

§ On Friday, we received preliminary data on the FS-2 to FS-1 transit line with unexpected results. There were 16 anomalies in 12 different locations with the wall thickness loss of 70% or more. We immediately conducted a detailed inspection at each of these locations and identified an area of oil leakage. The leak was contained and clean-up efforts are underway with 50% cleaned-up at this time. Recovery from this source is ongoing at a declining leak rate. No other leaking oil has been observed and visual spill detection measures have been increased.

§ The anomalies did not meet our expectations compared to the corrosion mechanism model developed in response to the GC-2 line situation earlier this year.

§ Through an abundance of caution, we decided to shut-down the production of Greater Prudhoe Bay. We are proceeding with sequentially shutting-down the other facilities applying the appropriate freeze protection. This process is expected to be completed over the next 5 days.

§ The Lisburne line was pigged and smart-pigged and confirmed in good condition with 17mbd. The Lisburne field will be left in operation.

§ The timeframe for a complete safe and orderly shutdown is still being determined. The Prudhoe Bay pipelines and facilities will not return to normal operations until BPXA is satisfied they meet all BP and regulatory operations criteria.

§ Total production impacted by the decision to shut-in the operating area is about 400,000 barrels per day. This volume comprises about 50% of all North Slope production.

§ We are mobilizing additional inspection resources from operations across Alaska and North America to continue to evaluate the conditions of the crude oil transit lines to ensure safety and environmental protection before returning the Prudhoe Bay to normal operations.

§ We will be working with the State of Alaska and its agencies on the planned shut-down of the Greater Prudhoe Bay oilfield. We are conducting a parallel study with the agencies to determine the possibility of operating parts of field but only if it can be done safety.

Please Note

§ We will ensure that you are informed about the ongoing efforts to address the transit line issues and to resume production via daily communications.

Maureen Johnson

GPB Business Unit Leader

Actually Mark - read/watch some of the media spins - some have actually said the shutdown is 8% of USA consumption! (The entire north slope is 8% of our production)

This is not a press release post this is an opinion post,

The lie is already causing excessive price increases at the pumps.
It's almost as if some in the media are trying to malevolently raise the prices through their reporting styles and figures. These are supposed to be educated journalist who are supposed to be trained on how to gather facts so I do not buy the benign ignorance excuse for causing panic. The overall impact to the market would be 2.5% if it happened all at once.. The truth is that this is going to be a sequintial shutdown and other sources for the oil will be available to fill this avoid, especially since the shutdown naturally drives the price of crude up.
The unfortunate reality is that Alaska and the west coast will bear the true cost becasue this is a much larger impact to the west coast and Alaska refiners tahan the rest of the country.

Price increases in the gulf coast on this news is true speculation since the refiners in the gulf coast do not share the same supply chain as the west coast. The East coast is also unaffected directly butevery investor loves a good rally. So we shall see. Unfortuantely the price the consumer ends up paying has no basis in logic, supply lines and actual cost, look at ethanols true cost to produce and cost on the market for proof of that.

Pab's...There'a difference between 8% of the nation's PRODUCTION and 2.5% of the nation's CONSUMPTION.
CNN was clear about that.
CNN and Fox are both reporting the same story (imagine that)from AP.

Mark, it wasn't so earlier in the day. They got called on it and have corrected the reporting but most of the day the 8% term was thrown around recklesly with no qualifier. I am glad that they have corrected the reporting. Often they are lose with the facts and the television reporter hasn't reviewed what they are reporting before they read it off a prompter.

Keeping an eye on fuel prices in my area..so I can do some pleasure driving when I get off work, not out of hand right now.

http://www.sanantoniogasprices.com/index.aspx?s=Y&fuel=A&area=Schertz&tme_limit=48

I don't know but I will take a sensible business oriented guesse.
Alaska crude is sold on the open market. If I was running a commodity business I would make the product available to as broad a spectrum of customers as possible to increase demand and therefore increase the asking price of the commodity. I am sorry but business is not confined to borders and if it was my oil to sale I would try to get the highest price I could for it.
I am not defending or promoting the practice but that is the mode of business. FYI, only 1/3 of prudhoe bays assets is controled by an American based company (Conoco Phillips). Also FYI, CP has a refinery in south Korea.(my theory is that Korea gets fuel and we get some really inexpensive grp III basestock used in CP motor oils from the deal)..Not to mention the strategic reasons the US has to keep our Far eastern allies in energy.

On the lighter side here is a cool gas price map

weather map for gas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back