Cherry Point Refinery - Washington State

I came across some info about the Cherry Point refinery in Washington. It’s not a huge refinery but it’s interesting because it was built to receive oil from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska. It was built by ARCO to correspond with the finishing of the Alaska pipeline. BP became owner when they bought ARCO in 2000.

It still receives oil from Alaska but also gets oil from the Trans Mountain pipeline in B.C. with a connection at Abbotsford B.C. Also, when the Bakken was developed in North Dakota they built a rail loading platform and oil is also brought in from North Dakota by tanker cars on BNSF. You can see the Cherry Point refinery from the Canadian side of the border, especially at night when it is lit up.
I couldn’t load a full image of the article so I’ll try later.

Last edited:
When I worked for Air Products and Chemicals I would go to that site monthly as they had an air separation facility there that supplied gaseous oxygen to catalytic process. Was an interesting place.

They can be impressively large. I drive right next to a neat old one every time I pickup or drop off one of my kids at college. It's the ARG plant in Bradford PA. As @ls1mike mentioned, I also work for a company who supplies gasses to refineries. If their needs are great enough, we build a plant right on their site to supply them. I feel very much at home at these type of process plants. LOL

I've been on site several times.

It's dunno, 25 miles from my house.

1705517036304.jpeg

I've been on site several times.

It's dunno, 25 miles from my house.

View attachment 198940
It is a bit further for me. I am in Poulsbo, but my wife grew up on Whidbey and we camp up that way a few times a year. Plus we go to the Island fairly often.
They can be impressively large. I drive right next to a neat old one every time I pickup or drop off one of my kids at college. It's the ARG plant in Bradford PA. As @ls1mike mentioned, I also work for a company who supplies gasses to refineries. If their needs are great enough, we build a plant right on their site to supply them. I feel very much at home at these type of process plants. LOL
Air Products was my first job out of the Navy. I really liked it. It is a good company but ultimately I went back to submarines because it is a government gig, and all my Army and Navy time, over 13 years, counts for retirement.

Last edited:
Back