Protective wax spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a wax spray that leaves a thick but not sticky protective layer. I am not looking for a product that leaves just a thin film like 3M Paint Defender Spray Film.

I would like to coat the inside of the fenders, inside of the lower door edges and suspension parts. The wax coating is meant to protect against moisture and chemicals. It is important that the product does not remain tacky, or it will attract dirt.

Is there such a product?

hotwheels

Amsoil HDMP, Eastwood HD anti-rust, 3M rust fighter are a few. Then there are some that are similar like boeshield T9, LPS 3, and crc heavy duty inhibitor.

If you can see what you're spraying, great. If not, you may be better off with some cold galvanizing zinc and a heavy type creeping oil.

If you can find Trav's rust repair thread, he gives some recommendations on what he uses.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Amsoil HDMP, Eastwood HD anti-rust, 3M rust fighter are a few. Then there are some that are similar like boeshield T9, LPS 3, and crc heavy duty inhibitor.

If you can see what you're spraying, great. If not, you may be better off with some cold galvanizing zinc and a heavy type creeping oil.

If you can find Trav's rust repair thread, he gives some recommendations on what he uses.

I am familiar with Amsoil HDMP. I find it too slow-drying and too thin for my likes. Do any of the other products you list leave a thicker film?

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: hotwheels

I am familiar with Amsoil HDMP. I find it too slow-drying and too thin for my likes. Do any of the other products you list leave a thicker film?

hotwheels

Frankly, Ive found Amsoil HDMP too thick, and still allows some moisture under, which is why I prefer more flowable products. HDMP didnt protect or prevent bolts that were already starting to rust fromm doing so more...

I am looking for a wax spray that leaves a thick but not sticky protective layer. I am not looking for a product that leaves just a thin film like 3M Paint Defender Spray Film.

I would like to coat the inside of the fenders, inside of the lower door edges and suspension parts. The wax coating is meant to protect against moisture and chemicals. It is important that the product does not remain tacky, or it will attract dirt.

Is there such a product?

hotwheels

Use regular car wax anywhere that has paint. For suspension parts if you really wanted to get carried away with this I'd use a product like fluid film or something designed for undercarriage rust protection. Do NOT use rubberized undercoating, that 9 times out of 10 causes more harm than good when applied to old/dirty surfaces.

hotwheels

Frankly, Ive found Amsoil HDMP too thick, and still allows some moisture under, which is why I prefer more flowable products. HDMP didnt protect or prevent bolts that were already starting to rust fromm doing so more...

If you put any sealant over rust you lock in moisture. The rust contains all the moisture required for further oxidation. That's of course not good. How did you find the HDMP too thick? When I spray it, I get a less than paperthin, runny coat that takes forever to dry.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Is there such a product?

hotwheels

Use regular car wax anywhere that has paint. For suspension parts if you really wanted to get carried away with this I'd use a product like fluid film or something designed for undercarriage rust protection. Do NOT use rubberized undercoating, that 9 times out of 10 causes more harm than good when applied to old/dirty surfaces.

An undercoating type wax would be good, but where do I find one in an aerosol can?

My reason for wanting to use wax is that it is removable.

hotwheels

Last edited:

If you put any sealant over rust you lock in moisture. The rust contains all the moisture required for further oxidation. That's of course not good. How did you find the HDMP too thick? When I spray it, I get a less than paperthin, runny coat that takes forever to dry.

hotwheels

The amount of moisture (a monolayer or a few monolayers) is a tiny number of atoms compared to the metal part. So while it may trap a slight amount (that will always happen when applying this stuff, rusty or not), its not enough to do much.

Water will diffuse through this stuff. I agree the surface protection was already compromised, but this is actually why I sprayed the fasteners for a test... And HDMP still allowed moisture diffusion...

For the inside of the fenders, definitely underside rubber coating spray, but everything else you could try PlasticDip spray. I have successfully used it the clear version to spray front bumper before a long 5-8 hour freeway trips. Love it, easily peels right off and protects against 80% of road chips.

Of course you're using for a different matter.

Last edited:

hotwheels

The amount of moisture (a monolayer or a few monolayers) is a tiny number of atoms compared to the metal part. So while it may trap a slight amount (that will always happen when applying this stuff, rusty or not), its not enough to do much.

While I, for one, haven't counted the water molecules in rust, I know that rust is highly hygroscopic. Even a minute amount of rust, not matter how well converted, sealed or painted over will continue to eat away on the steel. That's why for a truly lasting repair rust must be cut out. Maybe you will consider me narrow-minded, but empiricism tells me I'm right on this.

Quote:

Water will diffuse through this stuff. I agree the surface protection was already compromised, but this is actually why I sprayed the fasteners for a test... And HDMP still allowed moisture diffusion...

So neither fluid film nor HDMP seals hermetically? That's not good.

hotwheels

While I, for one, haven't counted the water molecules in rust, I know that rust is highly hygroscopic. Even a minute amount of rust, not matter how well converted, sealed or painted over will continue to eat away on the steel. That's why for a truly lasting repair rust must be cut out. Maybe you will consider me narrow-minded, but empiricism tells me I'm right on this.

hotwheels

While I dont doubt the hygroscopic nature of rust out in the open, the point is that a surface rusted spot (on a fastner in my case) which is coated in these "protective" materials, specificially something like wax which is a permanent layer and builds, still allowed rust. The fastener was under the hood, so not even in direct exposure.

This tells me that the waxy coating still allows moisture to come through. So the waxy coatings are great for helping to shed some/much of the moisture that may drip on a surface, some still can diffuse through, even if just atmospheric humidity...

hotwheels

While I dont doubt the hygroscopic nature of rust out in the open, the point is that a surface rusted spot (on a fastner in my case) which is coated in these "protective" materials, specificially something like wax which is a permanent layer and builds, still allowed rust. The fastener was under the hood, so not even in direct exposure.

This tells me that the waxy coating still allows moisture to come through. So the waxy coatings are great for helping to shed some/much of the moisture that may drip on a surface, some still can diffuse through, even if just atmospheric humidity...

My search is not for a product that seals and prevents already rusted areas from further rusting. I am looking for a product that seals rust-free, painted surfaces and that prevents water from reaching the paint. I realize that even materials considered waterproof, such as epoxy resin, allow water absorption and diffusion. Going by past experiences, factory-applied wax undercoatings and body cavity wax sealants seem to have worked well. I just unaware of any equivalent consumer product.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back