Protecting painted wheels from dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story made short: I have super-aggressive metallic brake pads that dust like crazy and because of my living arrangements (apartment in the city) I can't wash it very often. I am not even allowed to work on it in the parking garage. I have brand-new summer wheels that are clearcoated that I'd rather not ruin in a year.

I've heard of guys waxing the wheels with super heavy-duty waxes to protect the wheels. Collinite 746 is popular...

Super Doublecoat Auto Wax (No. 476s)

One of the finest paste type auto waxes available. Easy to apply and absolutely DETERGENT PROOF. Collinite Super Doublecoat is guaranteed to outlast and outshine any other competitive auto wax, polish or protective coating under any conceivable condition. That's why it's called the PERMANENT AUTO WAX. No hard rubbing or buffing... and no special applicator is required. Collinite Super Doublecoat will last a full year, even under adverse conditions. Clear coat safe.

Any other recommendations? My alternative is to just get the wheels painted/powdercoated a slightly darker color so they never look as dirty.

Waxes and sealants can help by reducing the amount of brake dust that sticks to the wheel surface. But their effectiveness is limited, in my experience.

This is the price you pay to drive a hot rod German sedan with aggressive pads. Ya can't have it all.

Coating the wheels seems like a bit of an overreaction, but it's your car and your money.

Eh, the aggressive pads is more of my own choosing. Big heavy car and lots of city driving means I'm routinely making panic stops (moronic taxi drivers).

I wax my wheels everytime I wax my vehicle. I've used Collinite 476 lately, but I've used Meg's waxes on them as well. It seems to help some, especially when removing dust/dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back