Propane tank telemetry system

My propane provider hooked up a battery operated telemetry system on my propane tank in the back yard. They now have access to the data and I have it on an app they gave me. The app will also draw a graph of consumption over time. The plan is to send the truck out when it’s at 20 to 30%. I know in some areas propane is cheaper in summer, but my data says otherwise. Here it follows along with the price of gasoline. Enjoy.

E8BD23EB-DB68-4BAC-BF4A-E5FF4E1F77BC.jpeg
F731524A-AA34-4265-A374-0323C27E2285.jpeg
7A8A64C5-7A81-4E72-8D8F-069E6912B0F5.jpeg
C5450CC6-55D9-4770-AEA5-AA9EAADE3F88.jpeg

Does it rely on your data or wifi? If not, how does it speak to the mother ship?

My experience in Colorado is that it's ALWAYS much cheaper in the summer, but good on you for tracking it in your area!

That's a pretty cool concept. Will the propane company contact you before sending the truck out? Or will it just be sent out when it reaches the trigger level, and bill you?
Most "on route" contracts assume you don't want to run out so they just do it. It would all be spelled out in the contract.

If anyone is thinking that feels a bit like you're at their mercy for pricing.....I'd say you'd be right.

Imagine if only Toyota trucks could fill your tank. They monitor it with telemetrics and just fill your car in your driveway at night when you're sleeping. You pay whatever "Toyota fuel" costs today. GM trucks would not legally be able to fill your Toyota, even the fuel is the same.

There you have my summation of my experience with the LP industry. Fortunately we're still allowed to own tanks ‐‐ like we own our cars -- and then anyone can legally fill it. However I'm told eventually I'll own nothing and be thrilled about it.......can't wait!!!

@D60, assuming both "Toyota" trucks and "GM" trucks drive a route past your home, if Toyota charges you prices that you feel are high, what stops you from dropping service with them, and contracting with GM? Do the contracts bind you for a time period?

Does it rely on your data or wifi? If not, how does it speak to the mother ship?

My experience in Colorado is that it's ALWAYS much cheaper in the summer, but good on you for tracking it in your area!
Cell phone is how ours work for fuel and lube tanks. Outfit called SkyBitz.

Some of my customers want tanks filled when low, others want a call before, others I have to send a quote so they can get a P.O. from their accounting.

Very curious. Just today got my propane bill. Used 235 gallons @$4.45/gal.=$1141. I think they are gouging. The NC propane average this month is ~$3.38

What are you paying in Canada?
Our price varies across Canada and is priced in CDN dollars per liter. Converted to US dollars per US gallon, it is usually $2.4 to $2.75 per gallon in my area. Our propane is either railed or trucked from Alberta. Propane moves across Canada from Alberta to Ontario on an Enbridge pipeline.

Trivia: A lot of propane used in Michigan comes from Alberta.

Last edited:
I put together a spreadsheet where you download the heating degree-days in your area and it estimates your usage and tank levels very accurately.

Last edited:
Most "on route" contracts assume you don't want to run out so they just do it. It would all be spelled out in the contract.

If anyone is thinking that feels a bit like you're at their mercy for pricing.....I'd say you'd be right.

Imagine if only Toyota trucks could fill your tank. They monitor it with telemetrics and just fill your car in your driveway at night when you're sleeping. You pay whatever "Toyota fuel" costs today. GM trucks would not legally be able to fill your Toyota, even the fuel is the same.

There you have my summation of my experience with the LP industry. Fortunately we're still allowed to own tanks ‐‐ like we own our cars -- and then anyone can legally fill it. However I'm told eventually I'll own nothing and be thrilled about it.......can't wait!!!
We’re already there. The propane company owns the tank and doesn’t offer an option to sell the tank to the home owner. The tank rental is about $100 per year. On the 800 gallons I buy each year, it works out to 12.5 cents per gallon. There is one other propane supplier in the area, but has similar prices. The prices seem to be about 1/2 the price of regular gasoline.

Last edited:
@D60, assuming both "Toyota" trucks and "GM" trucks drive a route past your home, if Toyota charges you prices that you feel are high, what stops you from dropping service with them, and contracting with GM? Do the contracts bind you for a time period?
Here it depends on whether you own or lease the tank. If you own the tank you can shop around. If you lease the tank for a nominal fee of $30 per year, you have to buy from them and they charge more.

That's a pretty cool concept. Will the propane company contact you before sending the truck out? Or will it just be sent out when it reaches the trigger level, and bill you?
They will send the truck without being asked, and since I’m a ways out of town they will hit all the low tanks that are down to 20-30 %. It’s a much better way than waiting for some crazy nut case to leave it until Christmas Day to run out of propane,

Last edited:
10 years ago I shopped around for another propane supplier. I was looking for a 500 gal tank. Found one who installed it for free, no rent. They offer a couple of filling plans. I always get the summer fill that is always cheapest. I use one tank a year.

Record propane production and exports. Propane use to be a waste gas.

Record propane production and exports. Propane use to be a waste gas.
In the oil business, getting rid of propane was called “taking out the trash”. Dan Duncan started Enterprise Products and made billions handling this waste product. Propane was a byproduct that needed to be disposed of to make real money on the oil. Propane at 90 cents per gallon delivered to east Texas is about $37 per barrel. We used to say “there are no propane wells, although the Eagle ford shale is so rich in propane it comes pretty close to that.

In the oil business, getting rid of propane was called “taking out the trash”. Dan Duncan started Enterprise Products and made billions handling this waste product. Propane was a byproduct that needed to be disposed of to make real money on the oil. Propane at 90 cents per gallon delivered to east Texas is about $37 per barrel. We used to say “there are no propane wells, although the Eagle ford shale is so rich in propane it comes pretty close to that.
How much percent of those wells was actual propane?

I was under the impression: methane, ethane, propane, butane, pentane and other wet gases plus H2S and other sulfur compounds.

How much percent of those wells was actual propane?

I was under the impression: methane, ethane, propane, butane, pentane and other wet gases plus H2S and other sulfur compounds.
I’m not sure what you mean by “those wells”. It varies a lot by location and formation, yes everything you mention is commonly found including kerosene too. H2S is found in regions that were salt water bodies eons ago. If the hydrocarbons formed in fresh water, H2S is not found.

Back