Propane grill, repair or replace?

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
So figured I'd get some opinions here at BITOG, seems like there is a wealth of knowledge in this community. I have a 15 year old Kenmore Propane grill that needs some help. It was a house warming gift from my mom and have kept this grill clean, and stored in the garage when not being used. Anyway, the grill is in good shape overall, it needs 4 new burners, and 4 new burner cover plates. I replaced the burner plates probably 7 years ago but they are rusted through again. My main question is it worth it to replace the burners with aftermarket burners? Searspartsdirect is a joke at this point in 2021, (if it even exists anymore) if I were going to try to replace it with OEM parts. I guess what I am trying to avoid is spending $50-$60 dollars on replacement parts just to find out it was more trouble than what it was worth. Like if the parts are garbage aftermarket quality, and or it says its universal and I waste an evening trying to get something to fit properly. Also I'm not trying to die in a propane grill explosion just to save some money......From what I read 15 years longer than what most people get out of gas grills, so I wouldnt be too bummed out to have to buy a new unit. Any thoughts on replacing burners? I suppose I could of just posted the last sentence and got my point across, but Im burning some time before I head off to work.
Thank You for the feedback

I replaced the burners in my last grill with some aftermarket universals from Lowes. They lasted about half as long as the originals did, but it got the grill through its good years before rust got the main bottom pan. It was worth it in comparison to buying a brand new grill, but you're going to have fun with the rusted attachment hardware.

I bought a cheap rebuild kit off Amazon for our Char-Broil grill. It included new burners, carryover tubes, and heat shields. It’s been about a year and so far so good. It only cost $35 so I already feel like we got our moneys worth.

I had to think about what a propane grill was LOL. I call them gas grills. We always just replace ours when it gets to that point. We find them on sale end of season at Lowe’s usually and buy them then. I wish they would do the same with the cylinders that they sell/rent to you for. I hate getting one that’s ragged out like that makes me feel unsafe.

I say it’s worth fixing. They don’t make them like they used to.

I would prefer stainless burner covers/ tents personally. Any other burner should be able to be made to work.

Test for leaks with soapy water.

Replace the grill. From experience, the parts likely will be well over half of what a new grill will cost, even with aftermarket knock offs.

I had to think about what a propane grill was LOL. I call them gas grills. We always just replace ours when it gets to that point. We find them on sale end of season at Lowe’s usually and buy them then. I wish they would do the same with the cylinders that they sell/rent to you for. I hate getting one that’s ragged out like that makes me feel unsafe.
😁I was just trying to be specific, there are natural gas grills too.

Add up the parts you need. If you like fixing things and the body is in good shape what the heck. Look at this beauty I spotted walking thru my neighborhood last fall. Attached sign said ‘ignitor doesn’t work, must use match.’ $75.00. Needless to say I almost broke a leg running back home to get the money. Ignitor kit was $20.

Attachments

• 8908B7C6-E663-4969-98E0-C68EF7F744AD.jpeg
    8908B7C6-E663-4969-98E0-C68EF7F744AD.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 52
Yes. I’ve got the name of that outfit that helped me repair the genesis I came across. New wheels, ignitor kit, grates, cover etc. as soon as I can find it I’ll pass it along.

I wouldn't rebuild it unless you can get parts that fit right. I've never had good luck with burners that aren't made for the grill. If you can find the model number there are a lot of places that make after market parts that fit. I just replaced the burner covers for my Huntington Rebel last year for $80 but they are porcelain enameled steel. The original ones lasted about 6 years.

I bought a cheap rebuild kit off Amazon for our Char-Broil grill. It included new burners, carryover tubes, and heat shields. It’s been about a year and so far so good. It only cost $35 so I already feel like we got our money
Thanks everyone for chiming in, I decided to order the $35 dollar rebuild kit via Amazon. But before I did, I opened up the grill to take measurments and take a closer look at the over all condiontion in the depths of the grill box. turns out it was more rotted out inside there than I realized. Its actually not the burners that rotted out but the part of the frame where the burners rests. Which is a shame, because the rest of the grill is solid except the burner sheilds which are no big deal......RIP Kenmore Grill.....I am buying a Weber Spirit E-310 next week at Lowes. Always wanted a Weber, I guess its my turn to stimulate the economy.

Yep, yours lasted a long while. I throw them out every few years and start with a new one. Currently using a four burner Charbroil grill almost daily for the past two years. I take it apart and clean it with oven cleaner every now and then, but if anything goes wrong its going to the dump.

Took a look at the Weber grill at lowes, I will get that for my next grill for sure. Much heavier feel.

The curbside consensus around here is folks are going new. Good time to dip your toe in the lump charcoal, kettle grill waters....

Back