Project Farm - Tests Gas Chain Saws

I won't buy a modern Stihl solely because of those absolute garbage oil and gas caps they use.

The Stihl is a 45cc saw and the Husky a 40cc. Not really a valid comparison. They prob should all use the same chain. Stihl chains can be superb too. The old Stihl RS chain was unbeatable. It might be fun to try my muffler modified Husky 346xp 50cc saw on this test.

My 2-strokers tend to need a gallon or so fuel put thru them prior to running good. Break-in can be slow on a tighter engine.

And then, when possible, tune the carb for your location and beat the EPA out of the carb. You can use a tachometer to help.
If you're a rebel, there is much power in little porting cleanup or some muffler work.

Don't let the kid's dirtbike have all the fun.

Interesting to see that $150 Salem Master compared to the $250-400 saws. Besides SalemMaster, Amazon sells the Neo-Tec stuff too, without that higher fancy brand surcharge.

Only reason I have used Stihl, Husqvarna, PoulanPro, Echo... chainsaws is that there were available locally and needed immediately. I'll have to be more patient and shop online if I ever break another one.

Them ain’t chain saws just toys.
Yeah they still should cut decently though. I cut far more tonnage with my 372xp doing firewood, ideally I'd like to make ~100 cuts per cord making 40-50lb rounds in 16-20" hardwood. But for messing around clearing brush, or even making cedar fence posts ,my plastic toy saw husky 141 is what I use and it get more hours than the 372 most years. For little saws cutting speed is a factor but weight and ease of use in brush is equally important IMO. Things like inboard and outboard clutches is significant.

Yeah they still should cut decently though. I cut far more tonnage with my 372xp doing firewood, ideally I'd like to make ~100 cuts per cord making 40-50lb rounds in 16-20" hardwood. But for messing around clearing brush, or even making cedar fence posts ,my plastic toy saw husky 141 is what I use and it get more hours than the 372 most years. For little saws cutting speed is a factor but weight and ease of use in brush is equally important IMO. Things like inboard and outboard clutches is significant.
I grab my 18inch 261 90% of the time love the power to weight it’s a awesome pro saw but we’re talking 600 dollar saw worth every penny.

I won't buy a modern Stihl solely because of those absolute garbage oil and gas caps they use.
They had bad production of those caps early on. The plastic would warp and make it impossible to install. They offered a free replacement cap program (maybe still do). The current ones work o.k.. https://www.stihlusa.com/safety/recalls/toolless-fuel-cap/

The Stihl MS250 is a carryover model that was so popular that they retained it even after introducing the replacement MS251. The MS250 is a decent lightweight, medium duty trim saw at (used to be) excellent price. We sometimes put a shorter 14 inch bar on them.

I'm not too into "Ford vs. Chevy" brand loyalty with saws. You can make just about any major brand saw work well if you get familiar with it. Stihl, Husky/Jonsered, Echo, Dolmar/Makita are all good.

I grab my 18inch 261 90% of the time love the power to weight it’s a awesome pro saw but we’re talking 600 dollar saw worth every penny.
Yep, that's a nice saw to do alot of jobs. I've been waiting for my 141 to die to get a nicer little saw, but it just keep going....

Those flippy caps were only an issue for the first couple years. They got them figured out and as long as you don't completely stroke out trying to put them on they work well. Unlike the old screw in ones they don't strip out or leak and you don't need to find the scrench to get em loose. I hated them at first but grew to like them.

a former pro employed guy that dropped several trees for me + neighbors noted the pro tree trimmer company he worked for switched to ALL husqvarnas + my #345 3 hp 16" bar @ 10.3 lb has been great for me for over 10 years of homeowner use + my Makita small battery saw is a good light trimmer

When I lived in SLO, I had a roommate that was a firefighter/smoke jumper with the US Forrest Service. He once told me he would NEVER touch a chain saw.

He passed away in 2009.

Sorry about your bud - not sure what other tool you use to get the job done.
I started learning from dad and grandpa as a kid and to me it's just another tool.

Never had a problem with my Stihl flippy caps, but they are a bit odd.

ECHO is Japanese...............unfortunately I think that is why they run good. I am an ALL-American, but I don love why ECHO, and Kubota Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
If toyota made a 1 ton truck in the US, I would get one all day

ECHO is Japanese...............unfortunately I think that is why they run good. I am an ALL-American, but I don love why ECHO, and Kubota Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
If toyota made a 1 ton truck in the US, I would get one all day
I used to be a Stihl/Husky guy all the way, and thought they were the best. Years of working on power equipment will show you what the frequent failures on all the brands are. One thing about Echo is that their quality seems to be consistent even in their lower tier models sold at home depot. Yeah a few of the parts will have more plastic, but the cylinders and other parts that count will have the same build quality as their pro grade stuff. IMO the Husky pro saws still have a bit of the edge in performance once you get into the larger models, but their homeowner stuff is nowhere near the quality of the pro stuff, and I'm talking about the important things like fuel tanks, cylinders, seals, bearings, clutches, etc.

If I needed a smaller saw, Echo hands down. If I was a professional logger and needed the most performance possible, Husqvarna.

Back