Project Farm - Tests Combination Wrenches

The Williams Supercombo wrench has a much thicker beam and the open end has a different style flank drive.

Interesting & good to know. In the past I've noticed finish differences for sure between some SO & Williams branded tools but not much more. I was also a bit confused cause I didn't think Williams had a Taiwan line either.

Good wrenches are definitely important. I bought Snap-on because I make my living with tools and a wrench is not something you want to cheap out on. There are plenty of good brands out there but I buy what works for me. I’m not bias towards any brand. I will say though avoid any wrench or tool in general made in India like the Pittsburgh ones. They do nothing but bend or round off as they aren’t true to size. Nothing against Pittsburgh at all cause I’ve got a lot of it in my box but wrenches are definitely a no go. Another reason for getting Snap-on is the easy warranty and service. I waited till they went on sale I would never buy them at full price. I have a bunch of old USA Craftsman at work for my SAE which I have needed more than I would think. My metric wrench set that I upgraded to the Snap-on is a Chinese Craftsman set. Still in my box as backup but couldn’t stand to use them regularly anymore as they were so darn uncomfortable to hold or put force on. It really comes down to a matter of need and preference.

I like his videos too.

I just ordered a set of Wright metric combination wrenches and they work well. My son has also gifted me some Snap On tools since he became a diesel mechanic. Most of my sockets are old Craftsman, as are my open and box end imperial tools. I have some Pittsburgh impact sockets and they hold up just fine too. I will say my Snap On ratchets are excellent. My gear wrench ratcheting box ends are OK. I just have to soak them in trans fluid once in a while to keep them working smoothly.

....The more I watch this video the less useful it is at actually deciding which wrench is better....
Every PF video comes with this disclaimer:

This video is only for entertainment purposes. If you rely on the information portrayed in this video, you assume the responsibility for the results. Project Farm LLC

Here is another recent PF video with a questionable test methodology.

Wright and Gedore are the most comfortable in my hands, Carl Walter is amazingly strong for thin-walled ones. SO is the most uncomfortable, gave it to my mechanic - i had a few. U-joints and extenders by SO are keepers. I am not a pro.

Back