Project Farm Air Filter Test!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kage860
https://youtu.be/sJ3L-E-ufYo

Great video from great youtube channel comparing brands of air filters. I only wish he would have also tested oem too.

AC Delco is OEM for GM. So....you got your wish.
smile.gif

I'll be installing Fram Extended Guard filters on both of my Subies when they arrive tomorrow. I'll make sure to stay away from flour!

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by Kage860
https://youtu.be/sJ3L-E-ufYo

Great video from great youtube channel comparing brands of air filters. I only wish he would have also tested oem too.

AC Delco is OEM for GM. So....you got your wish.
smile.gif

cheers3.gif
Thanks, I forgot about that.

Purolator and WIX did splendidly. But how significant is flour to true Silicon? I don't know but less is still better.

Originally Posted by wemay
Purolator and WIX did splendidly. But how significant is flour to true Silicon? I don't know but less is still better.

Should be close to the dust on my road.

Well Purolator is 99% per ISO 5011... And Wix is 99.5% per ISO 5011. .. . A lot better than STP blue air filter that is just 90%.

Good point bbhero. I think I'll throw a Purolator or OEM back in the VW and remove the K&N now that I'm not going to tune it. But I'd rather the K&N over an STP if the latter specified 90% efficiency.

Originally Posted by skip029
I wonder why he did not test Fram Ultra?

I think the filters used in this test were purchased by viewers who support the channel monetarily.

Originally Posted by slybunda
why k&n let in so much dirt?

Have you ever seen a K&N? It's just a few layers of gauze material. You can see lots of light through them. The oil on the gauze helps trap particles.

I haven't reviewed Bob's original air filter test but as I remember, his test was similar to Project Farm. You be the judge.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/

And of course, this will differ with every filter application. But, if you have a GM truck with the same engine as PF then, this answers the curiosity of which is better even without including the FRAM Ultra or e.g., a Denso or SuperTech.

Last edited:
Of course that particle has to touch the oil …
Originally Posted by bbhero

Well Purolator is 99% per ISO 5011... And Wix is 99.5% per ISO 5011. .. . A lot better than STP blue air filter that is just 90%.

What are you saying bb ? They don't plan to buy his test jig ? LoL

I LOVE Project Farm. Sure the tests aren't always 100% perfectly controlled scientific but many times they are good enough to be accurate.

It's a cool test/setup he did...straightforward. Results of course make sense - flow and filtering are inversely proportional. I use a K&N and am glad I don't dump flower on top of it...hahahaha It's a good test but the real-world conditions I drive in are quite a bit different. My UOAs always look fine and my intake track behind the filter is always clean to the touch so clearly, while not filtering as well as a paper filter (duh) it does well enough for me. Also, I dig the 0-60 runs - the K&N works, it's not BS and for those of us tuning/trying to extract as much as we can out of our cars, it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back