Professional sport that can have the oldest players still playing competitive?

I'd say out of the major physical sports, Hockey players seem to have the longest careers. Football guys get broken down and retire, basketball guys fall apart either emotionally or mentally and their knees go, baseball guys just disappear. Hockey players are too stubborn to quit

The late great distance runner Warren Utes was incredible. He ran the Twin Cities Marathon in 3:09 in 1992, at age 72. The next year he ran a 3:12 at 73.

Many of his other accomplishments were likely more impressive, but those two stood out to me, because I also ran both events. They were my two best marathons, and although I was less than half his age, I was way way slower than Mr Utes.

He had been a B-29 pilot in WWII, just to add to a full and very interesting life.

I'd say out of the major physical sports, Hockey players seem to have the longest careers. Football guys get broken down and retire, basketball guys fall apart either emotionally or mentally and their knees go, baseball guys just disappear. Hockey players are too stubborn to quit
Agreed, a lot of the greats have still been good into their 40s. Gordie Howe was, what, 51, I think, when he retired from the Whalers in 1980.

Back