Professional sport that can have the oldest players still playing competitive?

Just thinking out loud after reading about some football player retiring at 42. I can understand that with it being so physical. What pro sport can have the oldest players who are still competitive, and excluding any senior category. Baseball? Most physical thing is a sprint around the bases. Golf? Have to endure high heat and humidity. Bowling? Are there any pro bowlers in their 60’s or 70’s or would they have to compete in a senior tournament? Or is bowling not considered a sport.

Golf

Guys regularly compete in their late 40's and occasionally get a sniff even older. Just this weekend Lee Westwood almost won the Players Championship at 47 (he almost won the week before, too). Tom Watson almost won the British Open at 59, one bad bounce away from winning.

Walter Ray Williams 61 just retired yesterday from the PBA bowling tour.
Guys in their mid 50s can still compete now and then on the PGATour.
Billiards players can still play when they get old.
Strongman competitions, those guys are on the older side.

Don't think there is any overly athletic sport where an older person can still compete and against a young man.

I'm thinking it must be cornhole. I saw that on ESPN the other night. Wasn't exactly thrilling to watch on TV.
I wasn't thinking of that. But you're right. My wife is really good at Skee-ball. I mean freakishly good, especially compared to her abilities at any other sport.

I have a feeling like this is going to go toward what are "sports". Darts, pool, bowling, cornhole? Maybe we can lump in chess, though the current world champion is only 30.

I watched cornhole on TV once. It just made me mad, those guys were automatic. That is one sport where I will never be any good.
I would call it a game or activity, not a sport. They should have to play with a beer in their hands like any normal person playing that game.

5BAEDB09-142D-4BE3-B7CD-304C9FED588B.jpeg

Baseball has some older players in their mid 40s. It’s the only sport I keep up with so I don’t know if any other sports do or not.

Back